How do you guys clean your .22 barrels? Just a patch or full scrubbing?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Slips73, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone just trying to get some opinions on cleaning .22 rifles. When I first started shooting I would clean my .22s with one of those cheapo sectional brass rods after every shooting trip. A few years back though I learned that for the most part that isn't such a good idea, now I just use a two piece bore snake, One is a string with the brush and the other is a the soft cloth like part. How often do you guys clean your barrels. I am thinking that for the most part I would only need a brass brush if I put over 500 rounds through it or so. And just use a patch/cloth otherwise to keep stuff out of the barrel.

2. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMHO any time you fire a rifle and put it away for a duration of time more then a day or two - It needs to be cleaned.
    Depending on the action type; the type of ammo; and how much fouling is present determines which method and how thorough of a cleaning / stripping needs to be done.
    Semi-Autos require more maintenance and are more difficult to clean deeply.
    Bolt rifles are a breeze and easily maintained as are single shots.
    In most cases aside from a semi-auto; a bore snake; a brass brush; a couple Q-tips and a lightly oiled rag with completely clean and protect the rifle.
    Sometimes semi-autos that have had numerous rounds (hundreds) put through them require detailed stripping & some serious solvents, and some picking of the cracks and crevasses to clean thoroughly. Then care taken to assemble and properly lubricate the action with the right stuff to avoid caking and residue build-up.
    The .22 is the most abused and neglected firearm in this country by far - and the better you take care of yours; the fewer problems and failures (as well as how long it will last you and your family) you will have.
    I hope that helps.

3. Swampman

Swampman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I pretty much disagree with all of that. I clean a .22 when it quits working. The bore of a centerfire rifle might get cleaned once a year but it will have to be fired 6-8 rounds before it can be hunted with. Modern ammo won't hurt a thing. Cleaning ruins a barrel pretty quickly.

4. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yah I have read and seen what over cleaning can do to a bore.

5. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR Guide

Blog Posts:
    Call me a gear ***re if you want, but I love the otis cleaning system. I swab my guns after ever session while the barrel is still warm. Rarely need to use a brush. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thats exactly what I use

7. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For rimfire rifles I usually clean before extended storage and after shooting any soft lead bullets. If I'm shooting copper washed bullets I may go all season without doing any more than oiling down the outside. I can tell a difference in accuracy if I don't clean between lead and copper.

The majority of my rimfire cleaning is washing powder residue out of a semi auto's action. (99% of my FTF FTE problems have been gummed up moving parts.)

8. chesterpulley

chesterpulley Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm with Swampman on this one, .22's really only require cleaning when they start to malfunction or accuracy degrades. The .22 rimfire has been in continuous production in the U.S. longer than any other cartridge and I believe was the first to go to non-mercuric (non-corrosive) priming. That's the main reason you can generally find old .22's with shiny bores, despite not having been well cared for.

I usually run a bore snake before putting them away, but not always, and depending on the volume of shooting break them down for a thorough cleaning every year or two.

Back in the late '80's to early '90's there was a Russian import .22 ammo branded "Junior". The cheapest was steel cased and the entire cartridge was lubed with a heavy wax/grease. It sold for about $2.50 per 500 and I fired many thousands of rounds through a 1022, only cleaning when it started to choke. It wasn't a very genteel cleaning regimen either - hose it out with engine degreaser and punch the bore. The rifle was still accurate and reliable when I sold it a few years back.

9. kaywoodie

kaywoodie Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of Jack O' Connor's pet peaves. Folks wearing out their 22 barrels over cleaning them. I've got a house full of 22's. Brought home a Remington model 41 last night. Just about my fav caliber. Granted a bore not cleaned since the Truman administration could prolly use a patch of Hoppes run thru it. Wouldn't hurt. Biggest thing I see is guns that have had 1000's of shorts run thru em. Need a chamber reaming to get a long rifle to chamber. Or a 22 that has Been dry fired all to pieces.

10. Alpine Jo

Alpine Jo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Boresnake

11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't baby my 10/22 with a "full" cleaning. I seldom touch the bore at all. After a trip to the range, I will wipe out the action/bolt as well as I can, with a rag and some Q-tips, but it's a pain, so i don't do it well or often. I generally try to use only brass/copper coated rounds, not plain lead. If I've been out hunting with it, I'll also clean the outside a little when i get home (there's usually grass, weeds, sticks, bark, or leaves stuck in it somewhere!) I also wipe down the scope and clean the lens if needed, but again, nothing fancy. I'm about the same with my .357 revolver: I will punch that barrel whenever i'm back from the range, and just wipe down the outside for debris/dust/mud if i've just had it out for a walk/ride/float.

I do a full clean on my rifle, shotgun, and .45-70 when i fire them, and a good wipedown after being out hunting with them.

12. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For .22s, at most I'll run a Boresnake through the barrel after a range trip. I generally will not clean a .22 barrel unless it's showing signs of deteriorating accuracy. The one thing I do is make sure that the chamber is clean, to ensure proper functioning. This can be done with a Q-tip and gun oil or solvent.

Smallbore target shooters rarely if ever clean the barrels on their (very expensive) target riles. It's not required with modern ammo, causes extra wear and tear, and .22s group differently when the barrel is clean vs. when it's fouled.

13. Itegorm

Itegorm Scout

Blog Posts:
    Usually just a boresnake if I have run a lot.of rounds through ot in a.day. I will also wipe down the parts of the action I can get to eaisly witha lightly oiled patch or q tip. Almost all of my guns get broke down about one a.year and get a full cleaning, but I tend to shoot a lot. Something that I like to carry in the field for days when it rains fo I can keep things cleaned up is a lengrh of weed eater line that has been cut at an angle on one end and had the.other.end melted into a little button on the other. Just cut a patch and skewer it on the line and run it bdown the barrel from the breach like a boresnake. The benifit of the plasticline is lightwieght, doesn't hold grit and it's cheap.
    Sorry for the horrible spelling and extra punctuation but my gorilla paws and a phone keyboard just don't mix.

14. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like boresnakes too.

If I suspect any leading, I just shoot some copper plated hi-vels.

15. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    One thing I heard about boresnakes is that they trap the grit and stuff in the mesh weave so any little pieces of grit could be dragging through your rifles bore. I switched to the otis system because of that.

16. Hank McMauser

Hank McMauser Scout

Blog Posts:
    for my 22 rifles I use a pull thru made from .080 dia weed eater string . I melt the end with a match or lighter and allow it to form a molten ball on the end a little trial and error will get to the correct size, on the other end I take a sharp knife and trim the end to a sharp point. insert the point through a patch and run it through so it rests on the now hardened plastic glob on the opposite end. dip it in hoppes and insrt the pointed end through the chamber and pull it out the muzzle end. If its good and tight it will make a pretty good seal and wipe the bore pretty good with a funny sound. repeat a few times and make sure the chamber and receiver area are cleaned up with swabs, and you're done. I'd agree with the others that more barrels are damaged by cleaning regimins than being shot with fouled bores.

17. Juice

Juice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to scrub my guns down after every use. Now I don't. They get cleaned when they start acting up and not working right

18. mct453

mct453 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bore snake and use it every time after shooting before I put the gun away.Bore snake is handy.

19. wulfesinger67

wulfesinger67 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    wulfesinger67
    i use a tornado brush and patches with hoppes cleaner. i clean after ever few boxs if its strait lead it tends to fowl the barrel faster than the copper coated.

20. wulfesinger67

wulfesinger67 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    wulfesinger67

21. Hank McMauser

Hank McMauser Scout

Blog Posts:
    I stole the idea from rimfire central. when you get it tight it sounds like one of those toys you see made out of a plastic tube with a reed at each end and a weighted slug that moves from end to end.

22. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    what exactly is weed eater string?

23. Itegorm

Itegorm Scout

Blog Posts:
    Go into any hardware store and ask for string trimmer line. They will know what it is. Usually runs about $5 or $10 for more than you will ever need.

24. rusty

rusty Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you want to push a patch thru it once in a while thats ok,I have shot thousands of rounds thru my 10/22 without cleaning the barrel..22 rifles are made to be worked,cleaning to often can do more harm than good,especialy at the very end of the barrel.I got a lot of this info.from John Barsness,well known writer about rifles..

25. Chiral

Chiral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I run a patch through using the patch worm after each range trip just to get out the loose junk then do a deep cleaning every 3-4 trips. I've gone several range trips without cleaning and to be honest couldn't tell if there was a massive difference in accuracy. For reference, I usually go through 250-500 rounds per trip depending on how many people are with me.

26. Hank McMauser

Hank McMauser Scout

Blog Posts:
    shoot me a PM, I'll make one up for you, I've got a 50 ft roll of the stuff that doesn't fit my current machine, so it's just gathering dust out in the garage.

27. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had to clean my barrel with a sectional brass rod because it was all i had and there was some carbon build up in the chamber. I am super paranoid about my expensive rifles (who isnt) using a sectional brass rod once wouldnt damage it right? I just pushed it through from the chamber and unscrewed than pulled it out.

28. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    Boresnakers:

How are you cleaning your snakes?

29. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I just bought bore snakes for all my calibers and I'm wondering do I use a bore cleaner liquid with the bore snake or do I just pull the snake through dry?

30. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    Take a quart jar 3/4 full of hot water and about a teaspoon of HD Laundry detergent, teaspoon of borax, and teaspoon of ammonia - shake it up thoroughly; then soak the Boresnake in the solution for 15 minutes. Rinse the Boresnake in hot water ringing it out by hand and hang it to dry. You can if you want to, lightly oil the brush portion and store it away until next time you need to clean your rifle.
    That's how I clean them.

[OUOTE=Crazysanman] I just bought bore snakes for all my calibers and I'm wondering do I use a bore cleaner liquid with the bore snake or do I just pull the snake through dry?

As for how to properly use one: You put some solvent on the brush portion of the snake; then put some gun oil on the tail end of the snake; pull it through from the breech forward. Usually only one or two passes and the bore is spotless.
    I also recommend the use of Sweet's 7.62 Solvent over the very popular Hoppe's #9; which smells pleasant but doesn't have the copper or lead fouling removal ability that an ammonia based cleaning solvent does.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  31. dardello

dardello Tracker

Blog Posts:
    200,000 rounds or every 50 years

Removed

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  32. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:

33. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Per request

34. cadams3

cadams3 Tracker

Blog Posts:

With todays solvents you don't need to run a brush. Start with a good powder solvent until patch is relatively clean, then move on to a good copper/lead bore solvent until clean. Be sure and let weapon sit a few minutes between each patch to let solvent do its job. After barrel clean I always run a good oily patch through barrel followed by a few dry ones to remove excess oil. After that weapon is safe for storage if need be.

35. 91wm6

91wm6 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well look at y'all bragging about having .22 ammo to shoot...

36. dardello

dardello Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Removed

37. blake g49

blake g49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This right here. I have .22's that have never had the bore "cleaned" and they work fine, in spite of several of them being many decades old. Over-cleaning has ruined a lot of firearms...

38. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I am an old dog, and a creature of habit. Been shooting for over 45 years so old habits don't die easy. I clean all my guns after each day of shooting but when I am out on the field for a few days of hunting I just leave them be until I return home unless I was hunting in the rain which is not uncommon here in the islands. We also have the salt air to contend with so a light coat of oil a must.

39. Bones01

Bones01 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bought my first Ruger 10-22 in the early 70s and probably put close to 30,000 rounds through it. (Raised 3 daughters that liked to shoot). Used to spray a little wd40 into it and finally got around to actually cleaning it about 2 months ago.
    Best $34.99 I ever spent. Yep, that was the cost on sale.

40. leatherman1984

leatherman1984 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I usually just run boresnake through it after the range. I add a little CLP to the end of the boresnake to protect the bore.

The only time I use a rod and brush combo is to get rid of heavy leading. My beloved CCI Blazer tends to lead up a couple of my rimfire guns.

Any further cleaning is reserved for extended storage or at the end of the Summer shooting season.

41. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Per request

42. jge3

jge3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Spray the action out with Break-Free and run a boresnake thru it. If your gun has any plastic make sure you buy the plastic friendly Break-Free

43. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tapatalk duplicate post

44. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Most of the time I just boresnake my .22 pistol (semiauto) and wipe the inside out with a saturated patch on a pair of hemostats.

When it gets really gunked up or gritty, I hose it out with Brakleen (same stuff as Gun Scrubber at half the price!).

Bolt actions I rarely clean, once in a blue moon.

I don't really plan on using my .22s as defensive weapons, so it doesn't bother me to not be obsessive compulsive about cleaning them.

Besides, the rifling in a .22 barrel is very shallow. I think it would be easy to scrape the bore when using a rod too often.

PMZ

45. Ghost Maker

Ghost Maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bore Snake, hands down. I use them on all of my long guns and they are spectacular. Follow up with some detail work using cotton swabs (Q-Tips) and some Rem-Oil or Break Free.

46. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I love to shoot but I hate to clean, I clean the entire gun anyway everyone I shoot them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2