HOW TO: Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by DgitlRedBeard, Jan 22, 2013.

1. DgitlRedBeard

DgitlRedBeard Scout

Blog Posts:
    I posted this video a while back and kind of forgot about it. This is how I sharpen my knives by hand. It's cheap, easy and adaptable. I got the idea from the scary sharp, sharpening method.

[video=youtube;YmAomYFDnt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmAomYFDnt8[/video]

Any pointers would be appreciated. I hope this might help any that are just starting out.

2. jonny_utah

jonny_utah Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good video. Solid info, nice presentation, good job changing angles. (N one seems to do this right). Only critique would be to kill that music after your intro. It's kinda distracting. Otherwise, you did a very nice job. :dblthumb:

3. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well done I think. Thanks for posting.

4. Maverick556

Maverick556 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for taking the time to post this !

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

5. Sandmancw

Sandmancw Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great job on the video, very informative.:dblthumb: I would like to see how sharp they are, how do check the sharpness? Do you check it on paper or do you have hairless arms.

6. DgitlRedBeard

DgitlRedBeard Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for watching.

I test sharpness by a number of methods.

I first visually inspect the edge by holding it up to a good light source and adjusting the angle to catch any reflections off the very tip.

Next I will gently drag my thumb over the edge at a 90 degree angle to the blade to feel if it catches.

Another easy one is to indeed see if it will shave arm hair. Luckily I am pretty hairy and my arm hair grows back fast.

I also like to see if it will push cut a piece of phone book paper with one slice. Being able to push cut a piece of paracord is also a good test.

If I am using the knife for wood carving I like to see that it makes a clean cut in the wood without leaving any drag marks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. DgitlRedBeard

DgitlRedBeard Scout

Blog Posts:
    Background Sound Track

I have wondered whether or not people prefer a background sound track. The last few videos I have made I included one. I think my next one I may just use it for the intro as you have suggested.

Thanks.