I this sleeping bag any good???

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by AK49, Jan 1, 2012.

1. AK49

AK49 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just got a new sleeping bag and i'm not sure how good it is. It is a glaciers edge High Climber and seems to be a good bag but i am not familiar with the brand. It is made from ripstop nylon and is filled with polar guard. can anyone tell me more about it?

Attached Files:

2. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    What temp does it go down too???

3. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    As long as it keeps you warm I'd say it's good...

4. AK49

AK49 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    it doesn't say.

5. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    There are tables at sites like REI that will let you calculate the temp range by weight of filler, type of filler, and loft.

6. Old Philosopher

Blog Posts:
    See what this site says about different fillers, and quality.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/camping-gear/sleeping-bag-insulation.php

7. joboo

joboo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am not familiar with that brand bag. Check the box or packaging for information.

Also just an FYI dont store your bag compressed unless you have too! It will help keep the loft in the material. If you can store it hanging up that is best. Also if you have self inflating style ground pad do the same. I store mine behind the babys crib. Outa site outa mind..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  8. AK49

AK49 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do that with all of my sleeping bags except for one. I own a wiggys and they actually recommend that you store it in its stuff sack. They claim that their insulation will never clump up or loose its loft.

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glaciers Edge is a trademark of Fred Meyers Stores.

Polarguard HV is an older insulation from Invista, the same lovely people who brought you Cordura, Lycra and Supplex.

Synthetic insulations break down over the course of being repeatedly compressed/decompressed, static storage does NOT damage the insulation.

If the shell is in good condition and the insulation hasnt been beat flat, it should be a perfectly fine sleeping bag.

10. AK49

AK49 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Its -15 degrees out and I just tried it out. I went out on the porch and got in it for about 20 minutes and was perfectly warm! Im going camping next weekend so Ill have to give it the true test then.

11. Old Philosopher

Blog Posts:
    I've found this to be very true. Hollofil II was very disapointing that way. The bags were worthless after 2-3 years. Fortunately they were cheap.

12. TomcatPC

TomcatPC Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Glacier's Edge Sleeping Bag that I got in 2000 at the Fred Meyer's in Soldatna, Alaska. If I recall, mine is rated to 30 deg. I really like mine, I can pack it tight when needed. With a fleece liner it is all right in a bit colder temps, then I can put it inside a GI Canvas Sleeping Bag cover and that helps out more.
    Mark

13. skunkworx

skunkworx Scout

Blog Posts:

You more you read up about Wiggys the more you'll come to find out he's full of the brown stuff.

14. EagleRiverDee

EagleRiverDee Guide

Blog Posts:
    Glacier's Edge is commonly sold in Alaska by Fred Meyer (I think it might be a private label for Fred Meyer, actually) and I actually really like their gear. I've used their tents and their sleeping bags and have been quite pleased. As a rule they are clones of top brand gear and work quite well. Their pricing is also very good. I think for summer in Alaska it'll be fine. Spring/Fall it's going to depend on how warm a sleeper you are, but any deficiencies in the bag rating can be rectified by tossing in some hand warmers or just putting hot water in your water bottles and taking them inside the bag with you when you go to bed. That's what I do, and I've camped out in all four season up here. Also, wear a balaclava to bed, so your head stays warm and you're not tempted to burrow your face into your bag. The vapor from your breath will soak your bag overnight if you do that.

15. TomcatPC

TomcatPC Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think the coldest I used mine was overnight in the back of my truck in Soldatna, Alaska in Jan. It was probably between 5-20 deg. that night, not too bad, but still very much winter. With my GI Cover and the fleece liner, I was fine, granted I was under cover, but still in the ambient temp.

I also have a Glacier's Edge Rucksack that I bought when I got this sleeping bag. I used it quite a bit in Alaska and had no problems at all.
    Mark