Inside My Teepee

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by IA Woodsman, Oct 25, 2008.

1. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Just came in from testing the new shelter. Can't wait for it to get a little colder at night so I can see how warm it will be inside. We made a couple of beds today. If I didn't have to go some where early tomorrow, I'd be sleeping in it tonight.:)

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Liner

Looks good Bro' . did you ever think about making a liner for it? or a willow back rest?

I wouldnt mind crashing out in it myself.

tomahawk

3. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah when we made these in the service we used a reserve chute for a liner, and I'm fresh out of them.;) As far as a chair, I'll take some pics of a super simple chair made out of 2 gores of chute and post them .

4. Faol

Faol Guest

Blog Posts:
    Is this a tipi made from a parachute?

5. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Yep Faol it is. It is the same one that I posted the other day.

6. Faol

Faol Guest

Blog Posts:
    I definitely need to find one of those. I am sure it is much lighter than a tent, and you can build a fire in it too? I was wondering about that when I saw your other post, but this one answers the question on the fire issue. Very nice indeed.

I went online searching for parachutes, and found a number of the Air Force ones, but I do not care to have yellow and red in my gear. Anyone know where an OD one can be had?

7. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Faol, if you buy a C-9 chute it has 24 panels. 8 are orange,8 are white, 4 are brown, and 4 are green. A parachute tepee takes 14 panels to make. So, no orange is needed. If you get a chute you have to strip out the 550 cord otherwise you can't stretch the nylon. By the way I wrote a diddy on 550 cord in my blog if anyone wants to check it out.http:///iowawoodsman.blogspot.com/

8. norseman55731

norseman55731 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    norseman55731@yahoo.com
    Where does one come by a chute in Iowa?

9. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Guest

Blog Posts:
    That is pretty cool! I actually have a parachute laying around in my garage. I'll have to try this.

10. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Norseman, I think the surplus store in C.B. has a few. By the way the owner of the store will come down in his prices if you give him cash.

11. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Woodsman, how well does the fire draft? Does the area feel up w/ smoke? Thanks for another great post!

12. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Ya know, it drafts ok. I think I'm going to get a few cheap tarps for a liner, and retie the bottom of the tepee so there is about a 4" gap between the it and the ground. Right now I'm using the door to control the draft, but in the winter that won't be so good. I'll repost when I get it done.

13. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tipi draft

In the book "Mystic warriors of the plains" by Thomas E.mails there is a chapter explaining the setting up of the tipi and how to create a draft using sod. It has been a while since I looked at that book (20 years or more) but there is some good tipi info in there. This book is out of print now but could possible be located at

www.alibris.com

Also in a traditional tipi the draft is regulated by the flaps.Another excellent book on the subject is "The indian Tipi" By: Reginald and Gladis Laubin.

you could also contact "Mountain" Mel Deweese of Nature Knowledge in Colorado. He set up all of the parachute tipis used at the Rabbit stick Rendezvous in Idaho web address is:

http://www.youwillsurvive.com/index.htmhis

I hope this info helps.

tomahawk