Is a pellet gun considered a firearm?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by DomC, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Years ago my son and I were shooting air guns (pellet pistol & rifle) and a Sherriff stopped and told US that firearms were prohibited. I told him they were air guns but he didn't relent so we left. The question is: is a pellet pistol/rifle considered a firearm? I always believed it wasn't....

DomC :) ;)

2. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Depends on where you live. Local laws not federal. Some cities and states will arrest you for pointing your finger.

3. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is my opinion and not founded on anything else, but no. A pellet gun is an AIRgun not a FIREarm. There is no fire! As already said though depends on where you live. I lived just south of St. Louis for a few years and in that town anything that launched a projectile was banned. Everything, airsoft, paintball, bows, slingshot you name it.

4. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    No a pellet gun is not a firearm. BUT in many states/cities/towns you are not allowed to discharge anything within so many feet of a dwelling or even in the town.

For example, where I live you must be 500 feet of a dwelling to discharge a gun, air or fire, or a bow unless it's your house or you have permission of the person of the house.

5. Skookum_Jim

Skookum_Jim Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brandish one in public and see how fast the cops will smoke you

6. scout4

scout4 Scout

Blog Posts:
    DomC Your answer is No an air gun is not a firearm. Some places will have ordinances prohibiting the sale or use of airguns but this does not make them the same as firearms. If nowhere else you should be okay with shooting an airgun at any public shooting range. scout4

7. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I guess it was alot more liberal back when I was kid in the late '50s throughout the '60s. I remember plinking cans while traversing the woods with my CROSMAN BB rifle. Ahhh, those were the days!! Thanx guys...

DomC :) ;)

8. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Legal questions and advice are not best answered by the internet. We do not want to put some in in jeopardy of going to jail from well meaning but WRONG advice or opinions.

This thread is asking what amounts to a legal question, and answers should come from practicing attorneys in the same jurisdiction.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.