Is Paracord raeally worth the rep?????

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by TomRN, Aug 18, 2013.

1. TomRN

TomRN Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I myself got into the para-cord myth its the be all do all cordage...... But I must give a shout out to OldMan whom told me about a very old cordage..
    Jute rope is a much better alternative..... esp if woven and bees wax used on it as it is strong and becomes Tinder if needed... Again a example of the old stuff being better then the new stuff lol.... here is a picture of my go to knife with Jute Lanyard.... Course took me a bit to weave it but watching Parks and Recreation what else to do ehhh...
    cordage 001.jpg cordage 002.jpg cordage 003.jpg
    I know it its just a little thing but in a pinch I at least have tender and not some rope that will just melt......

2. pedro

pedro Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice piece of work. I don't thinkthat it's an either/or proposition. Paracord is good for some things, jute is good for some things, Amsteel is good for some things. What is better, wood or steel?

3. Chris367

Chris367 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry a bit of every thing, bank line comes in handy as well.

4. Sanjuro

Sanjuro Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There ain't nothing wrong with good ol' paracord. Good job on the jute cordage though!

5. Tech

Tech Solo Craft Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Give hemp cord/twine a try as well, I find it better than jute (in my opinion).

6. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Nice job on the lanyard, but I would say 550 cord is worth its rep.

7. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite all around types of cordage to use is Tarred bankline, paracord is handy when you need something stronger. Of course jute has its place too. I don't think it's an either/or type of thing either.

8. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I dont really use paracord, never found a use for it that Bankline or somen similar can't do and it is much smaller and compact, but to each his own, I also use twine for various stuff.

9. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Paracord, with its inner strand core and its sheath, can be almighty versatile, everything from a twisted double cord for a ridgeline to a sewing thread, to a fishing line. So, yeah, it is worthy of its reputation, just for the many uses it can be put to. Nope, it isn't tinder. I like a bit of plain old manila rope in my gear for a few things, and a few inches of that make fine tinder, if there is absolutely no natural tinder to be had. Around here, though, that doesn't happen unless you just aren't looking. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    Can't comment on which is better-just carry cordage. Last week I had to make whip and tape repair on a tent pole at 12,400' with weather moving in. Very happy I had extra cordage, 550 in this case.

11. TomRN

TomRN Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not really Dissing 550 Cord use it on many other things but just wanted to say a DOH!!!! thought on a lanyard for a Knife that 550 is perhaps better to have in me pack and not on my Knife......

12. TomRN

TomRN Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the post wanted to say got ride of my para cord all my Knifes for the Jute weaved with bees wax rubbed in... This is not a thing against 550 cordage as I use it for a crap load of stuff but this is about a Lanyard of your Knife for Christ sake......................

13. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You said one example of it being better was using it for a lanyard.

Relax bud, we're all friends here. lol

ETA: Your post did give me the idea of using jute lanyard on my Randall 18 to go with the firestarting gear inside the handle. Already have the handle wrapped with tarred bankline, would be ideal I think.

14. MWLanga

MWLanga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's nice to have, but I really don't use it much anymore. there are cheaper alternatives that are more readily available. then again, I suppose if your really hung up on reliability and versatility, it's still the best option out there. just my $0.02

15. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Are you starting the Jute troop or something? lol

16. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    i prefer amsteel over paracord when i really needs to hold weight other than that its bankline/masons line for me

i may pick up a little hank of twine next time im at walmart for the firekit

17. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    You asked people opinion of para cord but did not state in you original post that you wanted to know about using it specifically for a lanyard. Dont ask people for opinions if you dont want to hear it

18. Pekane

Pekane Scout

Blog Posts:
    Your title is a bait and switch.

Paracord has earned it's reputation.
    Cool lanyard.

19. Longbeard

Longbeard on the PCT Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I get your point. Like a lot of others, I carry paracord, jute twine, bankline and sometimes amsteel if I'm hanging. Why limit yourself.

20. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks good and NOT like everyone elses! :dblthumb:

21. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    The only reason I buy paracord anymore is to tie stuff like paracord bracelet 's and similar things like that. I still have some in my pack and use it but I'm not replacing it in my pack. Bank line is my go to for camping /bushcraft. Jute is fine until it starts to rott, but the wax idea might give it more life, I've never thought about waxing it. Jute won't work for traps it binds up on itself too much, it is also a pain to tie knots with, especially if it is frayed and it frayes a lot. But, wax on jute, might stop all of that.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

22. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Paracord is just cord. No, it's not worth the rep. This thread makes it seem like there are only 3 types of cord out there. Spectra cord is many times lighter and stronger than paracord. Paracord has the inner strands that are very useful, but other than that there is nothing special about it. For a tarp set up you can get cord that is much lighter.

23. eastxbush1

eastxbush1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't use a lanyard on my knives or sharp objects. I don't want it swinging around and cutting me if I lose my grip on it. I don't want it snagging a limb while I'm walking through the bush. I use a lot of Paracord, Bank Line and Jute Twine. Have some of all on me at all times. All have great benefits and don't take to much room.

One exception, Neck Knife sheath...

24. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, paracord is worth the reputation. To me it is one of the absolute most versatile pieces of cordage available with a price-point that's inexpensive enough that folks don't mind actually using it and a strength to weight ratio that exceeds that of most other cordage options. It is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Carrying tinder is really only helpful for when there is NO other natural tinder availible (never happened once in my life) or when you just don't have the time to process natural tinters (has happened out of laziness many times). Jute is nice for this but for a source of carried tinder, I'd opt for a fatwood toggle on paracord lanyard. This gives you a waterproof tinder source with the fatwood and the usefulness of a small piece of paracord in the lanyard.

Tarred bankline is where it's at for woods cordage in my opinion. It's certainly not as strong as paracord or amsteel or anything like that but it's plenty strong for almost any chore you need, is $5 for 250' of 200lb break strength line, and that 250' packs into the size of about 30-40' of paracord. This is usually what I carry for disposable cordage.

25. MWalker

MWalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    One thing I have found that I prefer natural cordage for is wrapping on handles and walking sticks. Much more comfortable than paracord in my opinion.

26. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    FWIW: I like a lanyard on my knives and I prefer gutted 550 cord with a cord lock adjuster. A properly adjusted lanyard can anchor the blade to your hand and prevent it from slipping out during hard use.

The lanyard on my SRK is captured by the retainer strap and tucked behind the sheath. On my 'Ol Hick, it tucks behind the fire steel loop and I have the option of tucking it under the shock-cord retainer lanyard on my fire steel while moving. Both lanyards tend to keep tucked and not snag.

I haven't drilled my Robust for a lanyard yet- Maybe later tonite. I'm going to try the waxed jute on it.

I have a short lanyard on my Samsung Rugby II phone- Makes it easier to retrieve from the tool pocket of my carpenter jeans or bib pocket of my overalls. I also have removable lanyard for my Leatherman CORE that I attach to my belt loop before I go fishing...Just in case. I hate hearing the dreaded "bloop!" :2:

27. OhCanada

OhCanada Scout

Blog Posts:
    Use the right cord for the job.

I would not climb with jutte, I would not fish with paracord, I would not floss my teeth with bankline...

28. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Jute is good for some things ...then 550 para-cord is good for other things -both are worth having in your kit -i do have them both ...you can't make good fire with para-cord -but you can make a excellent tarp set up with it , also best shoe laces/walking cordage when you need it etc

29. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Paracord is worth it. I have been using the same line kit for goin on 4 years now, and still have most of it. There is no need to go through so much cordage. Keep pre cut lengths and a braided or twisted ridgeline with a whipped eye like the bushclasses and you are good to go for a very long time. I dont get how some of you boys are goin through cordage like ya are looming sweaters and makin quilts with the stuff.... Lol

For a knife lanyard? I dont use a lanyard on any field knife anymore. Just gets in my way. Bolos and chetes are a differant story though. For those I dont care what cordage is on it. Dont overthink the small stuff.

30. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Paracord is a handy item, but I'm not willing to spend the cash for it. I just purchased 300 ft (330lbs test) of bank line for just a couple more dollars than a hank of paracord. jute twine can be purchased at the dollar general and there is nothing wrong with carrying both if you are inclined to.

31. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Antenna tie-downs & support lines
    M-16 and M-9 dummy cords
    M-16 top sling adaptor
    Poncho anchor lines
    Substitute tent lines
    Replacement boot laces
    Camo net lash-downs
    Clothes line
    Trip line
    ALICE frame lash-downs
    Flag lanyard
    Replacement handcuffs
    Fishing line
    Emergency engine hood latch
    Radio handset hanger
    Signal strobe lanyard
    Machete lanyard
    Knife lanyard
    Hammock (with some creative weaving)

And finally, parachute suspension lines (and I've spent a lot of time looking UP at 550 cord suspension lines!)

Yeah, in my experience paracord (or as the US military designates it, 550 cord) has more than earned the "rep". It's been there, done that. Repeatedly.

32. 4littlebirds

4littlebirds Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have an ESEE 3 and love the sheath...where can I get one?

Jerry

33. OldMan

OldMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    First off, that lanyard looks fantastic Tom, great job!

Second, for the rest of the board, I've known Tom for over 30 years and perhaps understand him more than anyone else here. He's a great guy and we've learned a lot from each other over the years. As the friendship remains strong, the distance separating us led us here to the forum as something we could do "together" in regards to bushcrafting, and for me, doing the bushcraft class.

Third, I think some of the controversy in this thread is just misunderstanding of wording and/or intent. That's a common thing over the net. Tonal qualities don't make their way into text very often, and sometimes the wording used provokes an opposite response to the intent.

Fourth....Tom and I were on the phone a while back talking about various things bushcraft. I told him about this post I saw from Legion regarding replacing the inner strands of para cord with jute twine for his lanyard. Thus, always a supply of jute twine for tinder if it's needed for an emergency. I said that this is the reason I did my firesteel lanyard in cotton twine for the same reason - if need be it could be used as tinder. I used cotton twine because I had no jute available.

Now, in regards for lanyard usage, jute twine does the job quite well, and for break strength, para cord could be considered a bit overkill since it's doubtful you'll need 550 pounds of strength for a lanyard. Does para cord act as a good lanyard? Of course. It can also be used as a flame extender the same as duct tape, but as tinder it works much less well than jute twine.

So, what Tom is saying is not that jute twine is better than para cord for every possible use; nor is he saying that jute twine is as strong as para cord. What is meant is that jute twine as a lanyard can serve an additional purpose as tinder if need be.

Getting back to the original subject, the waxed jute twine as a lanyard that he made looks really good. Again, great job!

34. J

Blog Posts:
    Ok, i might be missing something but in what situation would one need to use a lanyard for emergancy tinder? If its raining and natural tinder is not to be found, then the jute inside the paracord, or just a straight jute lanyard would be too wet to be of use. Then again, why not just make shavings from splitwood and use it? If all the wood is too wet to do that(which ive never seen), then having dry tinder wouldnt matter anyways as getting a fire going with it would be a moot point with 7in of jute twine, which would likely be soaked anyways. If it is a reason of needing a quick fire in a dry area for hypothermia, then a lighter and small twigs ala man in the creek would be a better bet then 7in of jute twine. Providing you have a lighter, or a ferro rod to light the jute. If you need an emergancy fire and all you have is the knife and lanyard, then a bowdrill or hand drill and use the jute for a tinder bundle? Then Why not just use inner bark or dry grasses? Providing u can twist up some natural cordage for the bowdrill bow. Guess you can use a boot lace. Even then, with a boot lace for bow cordage, and a VERY small tinder bundle from Jute lanyard, and having the right wood and the skill to prep the board and spin a coal successfully, and the prep already done to build a sustainable fire, you have one shot with a tiny ball of jute to blow coal to life and get that fire going. A small window. Mere seconds with dry jute. In an "emergancy" situation id bet dollars to doughnuts it would not happen. Not to disregard the skill of someone, but an emergant situation is just that. Rain, cold, fall through ice, etc. ive said it before dont rely on friction fire. Ive done most of Izs hardwoods challanges and most of the bushclasses, and with all that fire building, splitwoods, friction, flint and steel, etc, not one time did I think a jute lanyard would have mattered in the least.

Anyways, not trying to be a big ol elitest jerk, just am not grasping the need for all this "emergancy tinder" folks worry about, and am wondering how and when it might be of use.

I mean if its just for looks, thats great. I get that. But call it like it is. Dont romanticize of last ditch emergancy gear in a faaaaaar reaching scenerio. Its just gear playing and knife decorating, and thats totally ok too. But then why worry about if paracords rep is worth it or whatever. Just decorate it with whatevers aestheticly pleasing to the individual and leave it at that.

Id think from my experiance and leasons learned that that para cord and inner strands would be of more use. For lashing a shelter or spac blanket up for shelter or field repairs etc.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  35. J

Blog Posts:
    I just wanted to clarify im not trying to sound arrogant. I apologize if it comes off like that. I completely understand skill level of the membership is far and wide and everything in between. I get that some folks walk the walk, and some folks prefer to build fire kits amd play with gear, and some folks just like to daydream. Its all good to me. I dont care what floats ones boat. Im just happy we share a common thread in some regard.

As for cordage, I use it all, and as long as it ties a knot and holds, then cordage is cordage to me. With paracord it offers some advantages with the inner strands. One 4ft section is enough to string up a full on space blanket lean to etc. Jute or bank line has compactness, at the cost of the inner strands extra cordage ability.

And as to the "misunderstanding" the ops intent, it was never said just for a lanyard. It was howeer said that old is better then new, and its a much better option then paracord. Hard to misunderstand that.
    Anyways.....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  36. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts: