John Neeman Axes

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Dragon63005, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Dragon63005

Dragon63005 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have only recently heard of these axes. Nothing but rave reviews. Anyone know the price or the lead time to get the Felling Ax?

2. Couchsachraga

Couchsachraga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ordered in March, received in July IIRC. E-mail them for current prices - each time I e-mailed them the response time was generally 24-48 hours or less. They are in Latvia, so a different time zone (to say the least) than here in the USA.

3. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I've been eyeballing these for awhile. Hope you get yours.

4. Greebe

Greebe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I sent them an email Friday or Saturday requesting a Forrest Axe. I really like the looks of this axe. When I hear back I will let you know the specs and price. I remember when John first started posting photos of his axes about 6 months ago on bladeforums. That is the first I think anyone had heard about his work. Seems like the word is getting around though.

Couchsachraga- What did you pay for yours? Do you have pictures and opinions on it?

Greebe

5. Couchsachraga

Couchsachraga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to look for what I paid for it - it was more than I usually pay for an axe, that's for sure! Gransfors-bruks territory.

If you do a quick search here you'll find images I put up of mine, as well as comparison to the GB SFA, and working on a little project with my "JN FFA" (lean to, dovetail corners).

I really like it, and appreciate it more the more I use it. For resinous woods it is about perfect I have to admit. For camping the lighter GB SFA may be better, and for real felling an American Axe is better (I have a number of them, including the John Neeman American Felling axe).

I will say that the fit and finish of the John Neeman tools (I ordered the Finnish Forest Axe, American Felling Axe, and a drawknife) surpass any edged tool I've ever purchased. Hopefully you will have the same experience.

6. Dragon63005

Dragon63005 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I sent an email to the company and they responded the next day, given they are 8 hours ahead of me. American felling axe is 250 plus another 50 to 75 for shipping with a wait time of 2-3 months. That is well north of GB prices not including shipping.

7. Greebe

Greebe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep but these are hand forged by him, and handles handmade by his business partner. To me that justifies the extra price.

8. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    His youTube videos are awesome:

[video=youtube;IPgESIYOVGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPgESIYOVGI[/video]

9. Square_peg

Square_peg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love the look of his axes and respect his craftsmanship. But every haft I've seen has had the grain running exactly 90° opposite of how it should run. He needs to have word with his handle man.

10. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    He would be talking to himself, haha. He makes his own.

11. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love (wishing I could afford) his stuff and his philosophy as well. If you put him on like on facebook he posts all kinds of cool stuff.

12. L.V

L.V Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really don't know if he does have them in that way in every axe, but in last winter when the FFA were new and he were posting the pictures on the various edged tools forums I understood that the non-typical(is it? As birch handles used traditionally here were made with the same alignment if proper large enought wood were on hand) grain alignment were known solution for then first FFA kind of testing purposes and he uses Elm for the handles, not hickory. Maybe that grain direction combined with properties of Elm wood were good call if newer axes use the same principle. Those pictures of FFA in their website are from the first two axes (same pictures as last winter when he posted to those forums about that FFA to get opinions of it).

PS. Just for curiosity: Finnish work efficiency association (Työtehoseura) studied axe handles in fifties, comparison were made between Birch (Betula pendula—silver birch?) and Hickory and conclusion were that competition were draw no winner. Hickory and birch were both good and none were better than other :20:.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  13. Couchsachraga

Couchsachraga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Both mine are what we in North American would consider "properly" oriented. I can post images of the ends specifically if you'd like.

I would not be surprised if especially on the FFA sometimes it was 90 "off" instead - that ax lends itself well to resinous wood where sometimes using it like a froe can be very handy. If you are doing so you WOULD want the grain at 90 for the extra strength in the "thin" direction of the wood. All depends on your intended use and abuse.

I would say be clear with them what you want and you will get it. They are custom making each axe for each order at this point.

14. Couchsachraga

Couchsachraga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some images of grain orientation... John Neeman American Felling Axe and Finnish Forest Axe vs. Gransfors Bruks American Felling Axe and Scandinavian Forest Axe

JohnNeeman FFA.jpg JohnNeeman AF.jpg GB SFA.jpg GB AF.jpg