Key Ring Strikers...opinions on size, shapes please..

Discussion in 'Wolf Creek Forge' started by Lisa West, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Well Im gearing up for the new year..There some small things Id like to keep made up. Heres one small thing..A key ring sized striker..Made of the same steel as our other strikers..here is pictured two sizes..One is about 2" long by 3/4" wide..The other two are about 2 1/2" long with the corners rounded..They will come with 1" split rings(key rings)..They will be something along the lines of say $9 shipped..Which ends up being about $6-$6.50 for the striker and $2.50-$3 shipping depending on where you live..They will be shipped first class in a padded envelope..
    Id also like to hear of other simple shapes you might want..Suggestions, changes etc..Thanks
    (Im thinking of one thats maybe 3" long with a flattened end for light prying and screwdrive use also.It would have to be a couple dollars more since it will be more steel and heat treat will be a bit more involved)
    [​IMG]

2. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the shapes you have, there. I'm not sure I'd want a pry bar/striker combo, though.
    I may be wrong about it, but I fear I would have serious doubts about the lateral strength of a pry bar at the near-full hardness needed to make it a decent striker.

Maybe a three inch teardrop or coffin-ish shape with a small screwdriver tip that would be obvious about which end is hardened for striking could work. I just worry about a tool getting "borrowed without permission" and someone getting upset when it breaks.

I could just be way over thinking the idea, though. Personally, I kinda like the coffin strikers I've seen, but I'm a little off like that, anyway!

A triangular one might work well. If I etched a trinity knot or something onto it, my wife would love it!

3. Arctictough

Arctictough Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I too, have been partial to coffin shaped strikers. I wouldn't put it on my keychain (I have too many keys on there now) but I would hang it from my rear view mirror probably.

4. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like the top one. I'd buy a couple for sure.

5. dragon383

dragon383 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    they look almost like they could be worn like a dogtag around your neck... i like um

6. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    i like them

one thing that would be cool is a hole on the top and bottom so i can put cord in the holes and kinda wrap it around my hand for a tighter grip

7. Longbeard

Longbeard on the PCT Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I like the rounded corners & the 2 hole idea.

8. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lisa, I like this concept.

How about a striker with multiple utility?

1. For flint striking ...
    2. For scraping a ferro rod ...
    3. Slotted Prybar (the slot in the middle is for aiding in the removal of thin, long embedded objects) ...
    4. Lanyard hole that doubles as a driver bit slot ...

Since comparable Atwood mini-prybars can be rather small, I think you can effectively get leverage with your smaller striker bar examples.

I'd love to have something like that!

9. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i do like the coffin style strikers.. i would love to have one of those on my key chain.. one that could scrape a ferro rod would be cool too..:)

10. Guest1450

Guest1450 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would like to se one with a bottle opener in it

11. Old School

Old School Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would be interested in a couple of these when they're ready. I like the 2 1/2" with the rounded corners. Let us know when they're ready.

12. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:

This!!! Sharp 90's on one of the edges would be great! If they were about 3/16ths thick, they'd work with the "Bic lever" style of bottle opening without chewing up your fingers.

Grrr! This place is always suggesting new ways to keep my wallet breeding moths!

13. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What about a small ulu

14. Metis

Metis Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Though it would probably be too large to use as a keyring, one that you could use to strike a ferro rod that also has a concave in the center to use as a "bearing block" or used to catch magnesium shavings? Just a thought.

15. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lisa, if you could make a striker in the shape of a tomahawk head that is small enough to wear on a leather strap like a necklace you'd sell a ton.

16. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't need one.

Lisa's striker bars are similar in functional design to other pocket prybars (like Jens Anso's PryBar12 and various Atwoods) .... which can open effectively open bottles without a designated opener.

A designated bottle opener just adds unnecessary production time and costs ... and adds unnecessary edges to a tool that complicates snagging and pocket wear.

17. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Lots of people wonder if you can do any prying at all with such hard and "brittle" steel..Well, yes and NO..With your typical strikers, shaped as they are Id say absolutly not...Now with a solid small bar of say 5/32" or espically 3/16" then some light prying then slightly yes..Like a popping a bottle cap..I have intentionally dropped my tomahawk strikers from 4'-5' up directly on the face of an anvil with no damage at all..Even though they are dead hard...Most Id say run 65-66 rc..The Parks 50 we use it very nearly as fast as water but not nearly as violent..It gets steel under the curve very fast but then eases off and isnt as stressfull on the steel as water..
    Phillip talked with ABS Mastersmith Kevin Cashen about this online several times so all the props goes to him for most of our heat treating recipes..espically the ones for L6 and 52100..If you want to learn a lot about heat treating read anything Kevin Cashen has to say on the subject..He is recognized across the business as one of the best in this field..

18. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Lots of great ideas, thanks..I do appreciate this honestly and I am keeping track of them.

19. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    if you would pm me once ya start production of them ... i need a striker

20. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same here, Lisa.

I'd like one as well. Possibly 2. Depends on your final options in styles and structures.

21. Guest1450

Guest1450 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe it doesn't need one but that is what I would like. If it doesn't work as a striker, than just a forged bottle opener is cool with me. I know I can open a bottle with the striker like you would with a lighter or prybar but that isn't what I am after. Lets be honest, most people on this site buy things they want because they are fun to have. Am I willing to pay a little extra to have a forged bottle opener? You betcha.

Also, I disagree with unnecessary production time and costs. If it takes longer to make and Lisa makes more money, good for her. I would gladly pay double for the work I have recieved from her.

Lisa was asking for feedback on what we would like to see. No one said that it didn't need a sloted prybar (as you requested) even though it adds unnecessary production time and costs ... and adds unnecessary edges to a tool that complicates snagging and pocket wear.

Rant over. I just get upset when people discredit others opinions.

22. HoosierArcher

HoosierArcher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    An arrowhead, a aspen leaf, a 4 leaf clover, a horseshoe, a spork(ala eat'n tool that can also strike flint.)

23. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didn't discredit your opinion. If you are looking for negativity, I'm not going to give it to you. You'll have to look elsewhere.

I am stating a fact when I state that multiple credible *pocket multitool* manufacturers (both cottage industry and industrial scale) are finding that specifically tooled additions of bottle openers to one-piece pocket prybars are being eliminated because of their redundant and unneccessary inclusion. If you need instructions on how such pocket tools can easily and effectively open bottles without the traditional bottle opener cut-out (that you are asking for), send me a sitemail and I'll give you the line-item rundown. It takes mere moments. In fact, I just opened a bottle of Anchor Steam with a simple STP Knife Forum prybar with *no* bottle opener cut-out and it took less than a second with minimal strength/energy expenditure.

If Lisa chooses to add a bottle opener cut-out on the tool, then the tool would have *2* ways of opening bottles. Which runs counter to both elegant/streamlined/minimalist design aesthetics and production resource allocation. If multiple utility components are to be crammed in to a given pocket tool, wouldn't it make sense to not duplicate functionality and to offer an expanded array of tool options?

24. Guest1450

Guest1450 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am not looking for negativity or trying to start a fight over the internet. I completly understand your point and said that I do know how to open a bottle with a pocket prybar. I would just like a bottle opener cut-out as an option. I live in AZ. It is hot, the ratio of beers to fires started with flint is pretty one sided for me.

If my post came off wrong than I appoligize. I am sure Lisa can make many different designs. What works for some might not work for others.

25. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, I'm glad we both agree that Lisa and the Wolf Creek Folk make *amazing* goods. I'm sure we'll both be happy with whatever they do finally offer to us. I'm stoked! :-D

26. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Would definitely buy a 2.5-3 inch rounded corner model!!

27. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think if there are no sharp edges to cut me and a hole big enough for paracord with enough size to be used but also small enough to fit into an Altoids tin then it will be a win. Pure function without any fluff at a low price. Also it should toss some good sparks but that is a given.

28. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the feedback..I appreciate it..Im going to make a new steel order this week and include some steel to make some of these..Im also starting to work on some altoid tin sized knives..

29. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can certainly reserve one for me, Lisa. If you're doing reservations that is.

Maybe 2 ... but definitely 1.

30. Wilt

Wilt Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hi Lisa,

I would be very much interested in two of these and really like the idea of simplicity.

I prefer the rectangle shape with rounded corners that is no less than 2.5 inches in length, preferably 3 inches. I like the ideas of (1) having two holes vice one and (2) that the long corners have crisp 90 degree angles so that it may be used as a scraper. In fact, the scraper idea really grabs me!

I'm not saying anything new here...just reemphasizing some of the suggestions already given.

Sincerely,
    Mark

31. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like the idea of a pry bar / striker. I had a "widgie" pry bar from county comm until someone borrowed it and lost it. If you decide to go that route PM me and let me know please.

Subdood
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Isaiah 9:6-7

32. Tom Krein

Tom Krein Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've got mine on my key chain. It produces a lot of hot sparks!

NICE WORK!

Tom