Knife "Scout Style" Carry

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Thunderwood, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The post on "Why Neck Knives?" got me curious on "scout" sheaths. I've looked at few from Hedgehog Leatherworks and Skystorm Leather but never worn one. Do any of you carry this way? What's the history on this style? What's the benefits. Seems to me it would be easier to wear in a car or concealed carry. Any thoughts!

2. TomaHawkWard

TomaHawkWard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a kydex one for my BK2 and I love it. Someone else would need to tell you the history, but the benefits are great especially if you are going up and down to your knees a whole lot its not slapping you on the side or getting snagged on anything. Now the BK2 is a bit bulky but when it gets cooler I wear it when I go on my evening walks under a jacket(I live in Austin, TX people are afraid of knives and guns here) and usually don't even notice it. A piece of advice though if you get one for a larger knife make sure your belt can handle it.

3. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I like the style of carry, also like neckers too. The oldest, but modern history Ive found is the bailey knives, then onto the wsk tracker styles. Ive looked at lots of historical photos and even older paintings from all time frames and have never found a likeness of anything like we now consider scout carry. (if anyone has something would love to see it for my own collection)

I do have an tops tracker with a kydex scout carry, for me its yuk, and a fabed tops leather feildcraft scout sheath. pretty good carry.

4. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I tried but ever got used to it or trusted carrying that way. if I had a coat or long shirt covering I always felt risk of cutting it when drawing the knife.

The most "interesting" method I tried was carrying a BK2 upside down under my right arm hung from a shoulder holster. Galco Classic Lite to be exact. i removed the mag holder and attached the BK2 plastic sheath, no regention strap needed as it held very secure without it. The weight of the BK2 offset the weight of my pistol (G19) to balance the rig nicely. I never actually had a reason to use it but in testing it I found it worked well. the only issue was that it needed to be concealed because of the gun and its rare for me to dress that way and it felt a bit too "covert" to me. But it worked well and was comfortable.

5. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    My only exposure was with a guy on a Bushcraft course had a Tops Tracker in a Hedgehog scout rig. Seemed very awkward and was in the way when he tried to carry his large pack. He was the sort of guy that was sold on the scout style though and hung in there.

I also went on a walkabout course and a guy had the same rig. He gave up on the carry and the knife after the first day, put both in his pack and bought a Mora Clipper from the school.

I can see no advantage to that style of carry other than it is different. I have always found that the neck carry is the most convenient when working with the knife a lot. It sure won't work well for a big knife though. For the larger knives I prefer the standard belt carry or a dangler. I could also see a cross draw style carry as being convenieint.

6. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not familiar with the term "Scout Style" for carrying a knife.

Even though I've probably seen it I don't know or haven't heard the term.

Anyone care to explain?

7. Kilroy.45

Kilroy.45 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Scout style is horizontal at the small of the back I beleive.

8. PMSteve

Blog Posts:
    From the descriptions above, I'm thinking it's more like on a strap/thong over neck and arm, worn under left or right armpit or lower in a horizontal sheath. Still not sure.

9. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    like this steve

10. Chris367

Chris367 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tried a scout sheath for my kabar, didn't care for it much. Was a bit awkward to draw and even more so to put the knife back. Other than to conceal a fairly large knife I didn't find a need to keep using it so it got traded. Will say hedge hog makes a nice product though.

11. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Carrying a pack would make it seem irritating I would think. But if you were going light weight, no pack, just a rifle, kneeling ever so often ( like scouting ) I could see the benefit. I bet the draw would be pretty smooth versus a belt sheath.

12. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like it for smaller knives.

13. DeseretPatriot

DeseretPatriot Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    After reading all of Tom Brown Jr.'s books as a kid and seeing no other historical reference to the carry method I'm led to believe that Tom Brown himself is the main promoter and modern day source of it. I don't remember the exact reference or what book it is mentioned in, but I remember reading in one of his books that he used it because it was taught to him by Stalking Wolf (his Elderly Apache mentor [supposed]) and was the preferred carry method of the Apache Scout. I don't know if this has been verified by historical record but this is the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

14. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I prefer carrying a horizontal sheath near the front of my body like a cross draw holster. Having anything at the small of your back is just asking for a spinal injury in a fall, IMO.

Maybe I could market it as a "Forward Scout" position and make 18 or 19 cents! :53::53::53:

15. Haust

Haust Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A sort of seax carry, then?

16. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Kind of, yes. It's worked best for me to have it a little more forward, though, depending on the size of the knife.

A small knife can sit almost at the belt buckle and is easily accessible to both hands.

Medium to medium-large ride in between the belt buckle carry and Seax/sword carry position, but still edge down, where they can be cross drawn with the primary hand and still accessed with the off hand in a reverse-ish draw.

Large knives, Bowies and such benefit most from the Seax/sword carry, which I understand to be cross draw, edge up and a bit farther to the off hand side.

Of course, this is all dependent on the knife, my chunka belly and how much else is getting carted around on my belt at the time. It just doesn't work for everything, all the time.

17. Mastino

Mastino Tracker

Blog Posts:
  18. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Hobbyist Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ive tried it and at first liked it, it was comfortable and out of the way and easy to get to unless your wearing bulky clothing but after you were done using it it was a pain to put the knife away

19. Bartnmax

Bartnmax Scout

Blog Posts:

Yeah I've been favouring the 'cross carry' of late also.
    Never been a fan of the 'scout carry' position as I also don't like things resting in the small of my back (I already have a bad back through time spent in the auto industry as a mechanic).
    I find the cross carry (not horizontal though - I like it angled) still allows the knife to ride up comfortably when kneeling/bending but is a bit more secure (at least it gives that impression) than a horizontal carry.
    It's also very easy to access the blade when needed (I'm right handed) & also allows me to carry a small belt pouch on my right hip with other items in it, which would be hard for me, as a right hander, to access if the knife was on the conventional RH hip & the kit was on the left side.

20. RM_Rambler

RM_Rambler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will say that the scout carry is really good of you need to draw your knife will lying down. But not being EOD, scout sniper or a ninja it never really stuck with me. I was also in fear of stabbing myself in the back every time I sheathed my knife.

21. TopherBean

TopherBean Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry my BK2 scout style and I find it is a comfortable way to carry it. It balances the weight well so I forget it's even there.

22. Mattexian

Mattexian Scout

Blog Posts:
    As I understand it, the Seax was carried in a mostly horizontal sheath that hung from the back of the belt, depending on it's size. The only thing I've got rigged up for scout carry is a Fallkniven S1 in the early factory Kydex sheath with a TekLok belt attachment on back.

Matt in Tx

23. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carried a Gerber Mark 1 dagger for awhile as an infantryman, upside down on my LBE strap. Convenient, but i always worried about the release letting go when i wasn't looking. it was handy though, and putting it away was no problem. but i hated LBE, and still don't like anything 'vesty' for carrying my stuff.

I'll stick with my dangler sheath... handy, doesn't get in the way when kneeling or paddling, fits my style of working.

24. DirectRegister

DirectRegister Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've experimented with this style off and on over the years, and found that it does offer a few advantages. You can draw and sheath the knife in normal or reverse grip with equal ease. It also frees up your hip to carry something you're accessing more frequently than your knife, such as handgun, your compass in a pouch, or an axe during shelter construction or fire building.

That said, I've moved away from "scout" carry due to some disadvantages. Unless you pack is small and riding high on your shoulders, then it will bang awkwardly into your knife. A shoulder bag riding on your hip will also tend to tangle with the knife handle. Unless your layers are tucked into your pants, there's a good chance your blade will get fouled up in the cloth as you draw/sheath the knife. I now almost exclusively use right hip carry for small knives and baldric for longer blades. I would only consider "scout" style for smaller knives, ~4" or less, but I'm also pretty narrow

25. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry my Trailmate small-of-the-back style. It's small enough to be comfortable.

[​IMG]

Compared to an ESEE 4
    [​IMG]

26. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Scout carry is for going light weight. You go out with only your knife, with maybe your other weapons, and what's on your body or perhaps a haversack. I use it for scouting in heavy brush or when stalking. Sometimes on my back, sometimes in the front. If you're carrying a pack or even a hip pack it's not doable and was never meant for that.
    Lately I've been carrying my SRK's that way.

27. Goose

Goose Guide

Blog Posts:
    About half the orders I do a month are for scout sheaths, but I personally am not a big fan of it. It is fine for drawing your knife, but when you are reinserting it into the sheath is when it can be difficult. I see it as being applicable in warm weather, or if you are wearing a belt over your parka or anorak, otherwise your clothing is going to get in the way. I do like large knives in scout carry though(BK9, RTAKll, Junglas), and that is mainly because the sheath is long enough that I can turn around and physically see the opening of the sheath to aid in reinserting the knife.

If you use the scout carry method enough, you will eventually develop a muscle memory for it, but that may take awhile. You just need to assess your other equipment first,and determine if this method of carry is going to work with they rest of your kit. It may not be for everyone, but you never know until you try it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  28. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I most often use a belt sheath on my left hip.

Many years ago when I first tried scout carry I cut my finger trying to feel for the mouth of the sheath and insert the knife. That was probably before tom brown dubbed the words scout carry. I tried it again several years ago and it's not for me.

29. Dragon63005

Dragon63005 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a sheath I had made from JRE Industries out of Chicago. Check out their website, it is really good. It was a scout style shead for my Fallkniven S1. I have a firesteel loop on it too. I carry it on my left side and in the small of my back.

I also use a TekLock for the Kydex sheath of my ESEE - 3. Love this little knife. The Tek Lock allows you to have the sheath vertical or horizontal and gives you good stability of the sheath on the belt or whatever you are hanging it on.

30. Dragon63005

Dragon63005 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also use the TekLock on my Izula to scout carry on my wader suspenders when I am fly fishing for cleaning trout.

Dragon.

31. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I was camping in the George Washington National Forest this past weekend and I wore my Tom Brown Tracker scout style all weekend. Even though it's a big, heavy knife, I forgot it was there until it was time to cut or chop, and then it was simple to reach back, grab the knife, use it, and sheath it again. After trying it for a weekend I'm sold on the scout carry. I wouldn't do it backpacking because it would interfere with the hip belt, but for day hikes and working around camp it's the way to go.

32. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    I believe that carry style is called 'baldric' carry. I had Dwayne at Armorall leather make me several sheaths that way. My design, and I can clip different sheaths to the strap, or to a dangler belt carry, that is also cross draw, hanging just below the pack belt, for easy access.
    [​IMG]

33. PMSteve

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Maybe it's because I'm old, but that looks incredibly uncomfortable and unwieldly.

34. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pretty much my thoughts after trying it with my Tracker for a trip. It's fine getting the knife out but I felt really weird putting it away, constantly worried I was going to slice the sheath or my clothes or both. You could probably get used to it over time though, and a kydex rig instead of leather would make it easier to guide the knife in without cutting anything.

As far as benefits, mainly it just seems to be that it's out of the way most of the time and secured up higher on your belt. I'd like to try it with a smaller & lighter knife than the Tracker sometime, and preferably with kydex at least until I'm sure I'm not going to cut my own pants off :p

35. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Would this style of cary work with a largeish knife, like a BK7?

36. mboyce

mboyce Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe that there were some sheaths found in an Anglo Saxon hoard that would indicate a horizontal carry of a seax like that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax
    I know that this is just Wikipedia and not totally reliable, but I have seen documentation other places, I'll see what I can dig up.

37. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    I EDC a Tom Brown Tracker, fullsized, in a custom leather scout carry sheath and I prefer it to traditional style worn on the hip. It doesn't snag as easy, especially when I lift something and set it on my hip(IE, haybales) and the balance of having the weight, especially with a heavy knife, across my back is more comfortable than having it lopsided on my right hip. Only thing is, especially since I'm pretty slim at my waist/hips, the knife can be a bit awkward in certain wooden or hard chairs. In general I like it better than traditional carry though. Just my 0.02 cents. As far as returning it or pulling it from it's sheath, initially it's a bit clumsy and may take two hands but after a while you don't even think about it. And pulling it out especially if it's a fairly long knife is even easier because you don't have to raise your arm up and back into the air. It's just a bit more natural. Once again, just my humble opinion and experiences.

38. Jon B

Jon B Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of scout carry when I'm out pack-less, like many have said. If I'm carrying a pack, I use the scout sheath vertically attached to a shoulder strap. Don't know if anyone else here is doing that or not.

39. Ironwood666

Ironwood666 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I like scout carry for small blades when in a jacket or the woods if I'm carrying a pack like the HPG Tarahumara that doesn't have a waistbelt.

It keeps the blade out of the way.

40. cachewild

cachewild Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not too fond of the scout carry, mostly because I carry a pack a lot of the time. I also don't like reaching behind me to secure a blade. I much prefer a neck carried Mora while I'm moving about with a pack, or I like a low sitting sheath or a dangler. To each his own though.

41. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I carry the cub bear by Alaska Knives one of my EDC had a custom sheath made for it horizontal carry goes over left front pocket can be drawn with either hand, most people don't even see it. I forget its there sometimes. Can carry on left side or turn over and carry behind back, I love it very comfortable

42. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you tend to ride in a vehicle a lot, getting in and out frequently, then a horizontal carry can help keep both the seat and your short ribs from getting poked a lot.
    Since I no longer spend much time crawling in a stalk, the small of the back carry is of little benefit, but for those who do spend a lot of time down on the ground, it is a great way to avoid a lot of hang ups and keep from scraping your sheath along the ground.

43. Longbow29

Longbow29 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well,
    Tom Brown didn't invent Scout Carry as he was not alive during the Viking age when most men DID carry their Seax (A big bowie size single edged knife) in a rig on the small of their back, horizontally.
    Indians and Mountain Men would often carry a big bowie or an Arksansas toothpick knife in a similar way with the sheath tucked into the back of their belt. From what I remember reading decades ago in college, the reason they did it that way was the knife was handy and accessible while crawling on their bellies in the field while stalking game, but did not get in the way there.
    Now, having said that, there are some disadvantages to Scout carry too.
    If you have a big belly and a small butt, it might pull your britches down in the back if the knife is heavy.
    If you lay on your side you have to lay on the off side to keep your knife accessible .
    And unless you are familiar with the japanese art of Iado, you will have problems with resheathing...
    But it IS popular for those who have mastered it..

44. Tristar777

Tristar777 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi. I often carry the CRKT Two Shot semi skinner, scout style in its purpose made sheath. A great small knife with additional room for the two shots or other small usefull items.

45. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Has anybody been injured yet? lol

Im with Howie on this and anyone who said TBJ his whole way of the scout is the first I heard of it from what I have read as some have mentioned it was common with many cultures including possibly otzi...ok I gonna fly back to the future now....poof!

46. blackthorne

blackthorne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ithink the history goes all the way back to the hundred year war between the english and the french. there are pictures of english bowmen carrying daggers in the small of their backs apparently for use as a defensive weapon and out of the way of using their bows and drawing arrows from waist mounted quivers.