Knock-off Fallkniven???

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by bushwolf, Jan 17, 2013.

1. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw this on ebay, it looks like a Fallkniven F-1, but at $30 I can hardly believe it really is........

Anybody here bought one of these???
    Is it the real deal???

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. TheDane

TheDane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's shipped from Hong Kong, and Fallkniven is a Swedish brand, and in Sweden, they cost around 200$. I believe that says it all :)

3. american dream

american dream Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks real to me but the price does not reflect that.You should order one and let us know.

4. cobra

cobra Scout

Blog Posts:
    wow crazy, I'm almost tempted to buy it just to see what's up. $30 ain't so much to waste :|

5. droptyne

droptyne Scout

Blog Posts:
    I looked at the knife from my phone so I could be wrong, but... Doesn't this blade used a laminated steel, you should be able to see that reflected on the blade. Also, I thought that they come with zytel sheaths. Finally, the location has me nervous. That area, China included, is notorious for copying Buck, Gerber, Spyderco, Strider and more. Some even copy the boxes. I would keep my eye open for somewhere else to buy.

6. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fallknivens are made in Asia, Japan or Taiwan.
    Knock offs? misappropriated ? factory rejects?

Anybody's guess

7. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    KNOCK OFF!!! I've been buying knock offs from china for a while now, some are absolute trash others are pretty damn nice. I figure half the brands offered are being built in china anyway!!! The gerber I carry is either a knock off or a second? It's scary sharp and seems to be of good quality!

8. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The photos are irrelevant,

even with a lamination line they could just have taken pics of a real F1. Fake F1's can be had for much cheaper than $40. The only purpose a knife like that would serve would be to practice sharpening.

9. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    i tend to get the knock off first and if i like it and it stands up fair ill save up and get the real one and give the knock off away to a boyscout or kid

some of the knockoffs ive had kept a edge better than the real deal

10. bigkat

bigkat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It seems to have a decent return policy. I say get it, and check it out. Worse case senario you spend a couple bucks on shipping, and ur not wondering if the knife was up to par or not.

11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    the description says VG-10, the correct steel for an F1. The label calls it a military survival knife, which is also is (Swedish AF uses it.) The picture and the Fallkniven marking on the blade look right, but as mentioned, it's not hard to steal a picture. I think i read somewhere that almost all VG10 is made in Japan, so maybe this is a batch of "seconds" that found its way to Hong Kong.

I'd rather spend my $115 on a real one than waste $30 trying to find a 'good deal'.

12. cardo

cardo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    "Military Survival Hunting Camping Gear Tool Swiss Army Boot Knife Leather Sheath"

Where do you think the "Swiss Army" got into the equation?

13. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think all the vg steels are made in Japan and the knives made from it are made there too, I dont believe they export that steel, Fallknivens are a Swedish company but have their blades made in Japan to the best of my knowledge.

Larry

14. wooly bugger

wooly bugger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just be careful. By the time you pay the return shipping to Hong Kong and the exchange rate eats some of your refund, you may not have much left :17:

15. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, I doubt I will order one, really don't have $40 to "waste" on it if its a fake.

Just thought it was odd and interesting to see what appears to be a real Fallkniven for so cheap.
    If anybody else does order one, let me know how it works out.

16. trilobitz

trilobitz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    they sure seem to have the market cornered on knockoffs. went through their feedback and while they have a few negatives, most are concerns over shipping, colour, stains rather than actual quality.

also selling 'buck vanguards' for under 20$ although they are advertized as a 'buck knife saber dagger.' i have several authentic vanguards and the knife/sheath in their pics only superficially looks like the ones i have in my knife drawer.

imo, nothing beats a good old made in the usa knife!!!

i think they need to hire few more chinese to english translators out their profit margin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Su...uck-Knives-Saber-Dagger-Machete-/121018697298

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  17. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    Even if it were properly heat treated 400 series or some such 40 bucks is not a lot for a good knife. Can't hardly buy a Case peanut for that.

Edit: I really don't know what makes VG-10 special as I generally like carbon blades. Lately Helle has been really changing my opinion on SS.

18. pap11y

pap11y Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you buy this you deserve what you get...

Obvious fake.

If you want to support scum who are trading off the good name of a reputable company go ahead.

19. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Touchy...

sent from my dumb phone.

20. pap11y

pap11y Guide

Blog Posts:
    There are heaps of these coming up these days. Cold steel, strider, busse and chris reeve just to name a few..

I haven't attacked you for asking the question. With less experience with fallkniven I may have been caught out too.

Its one thing if a brand is making something to compete with a product in a similar market. Its a whole other thing when they are deceiving people into believing this is that exact product..

This hurts good companies every where and the sellers should not be supported. Eventually it costs people their jobs.

If people still want to buy this stuff hey knock yourself out but as I said "you get what you deserve" :)

If you want a cheaper knife that is tried and tested from a reputable company get a condor or a mora. Support people and companies who are working hard to give you great products.

These people do not deserve your money.

21. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember when a real one was >$100 new....

22. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    There was a Bushcraft gear place in England selling a complete rip off of the Tops Lil wolf Wolf, Werewolf, Ninja wolf, scout wolf, Folkwolfe, peter and the wolf, big bad wolf...anyway it was something wolf, I called Tops they got a hold of the shop and shut it down I'm not really into that but buying Copies, Bootlegs, pirated, re pop, counterfeit anything is just bad form and dont help anything with gear or Info always consider the source factory seconds are a differant story but they should be described as that many of the Outlet type places with such great deals are selling seconds I have some PatgucciGoninia layers I bought in Cabazon Cali at the Patagroinia Outlet that would pop up everything in it was cut tag seconds but its lasted more years than I ever imagined and have got alot of use out of that stuff... they make a batch the color is of or slight stitching prob and it goes to the outlet they cant melt it down even though it would look great if they said that in the Awesome catalog lol Look at a Campmore catalog they are very up front on that stuff

In Other words I'd pass

M/BK

23. Unicoi

Unicoi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Even the box looks spot on.

24. dancan

dancan Scout

Blog Posts:
  25. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not all Chinese made stuff is junk. I have some knives and other gear that are quite good. Many are made in Chinese factories under the supervision of American engineers and carry good names. In this case, however, it isn't a knife made on the order of an older design but one purporting to be an original and that is fraud, plain and simple. I wouldn't touch it at any price. I think Pap11 said what I think about the matter.

26. hughewil

hughewil Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't mind imitations, just about every knife company in the world has made an imitation of the Buck 110. Just as lon as they don't have the actual companies logo and try to pass it as the real thing.

But when you startn making knock offs, putting on the trademark logos, and selling it as an original I don't agree with it.

make a k nife that looks like the F1, but keep the fallkniven name and logo off of it.

27. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree with all of you, and have no desire to support counterfit knives.

The reason I posted this is because it looked just like a real Fallkniven, I wondered if these were maybe factory seconds or something like that.

28. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a F1 with that leather sheath. I've had it for a couple of years. I think I paid $120 for it. I would say the pictures look real, but those could have been swiped from anywhere. I believe they were, they they are not sharp. I can see the lamination line, but that doesn't mean anything.

If it was me, I would stay away from this "deal". If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Buyer beware I guess. If you wave $30 to throw away, have at it.

29. Pat1973

Pat1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,look carefully at the handle end,a real F1 the tang comes out of the end of the knife for hammering purposes,the pictures aren't the best,but i can't see that tang anywhere on any the pictures,maybe someone else can see what i mean...

30. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    Wow! A genuine counterfeit knife! Whudda thunk it?!

my Granddad used to tell me "Don't believe any thing you hear and only half of what you see.".

More true now than it was in the fifties.

31. mollett89

mollett89 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  32. pap11y

pap11y Guide

Blog Posts:
  33. Wynfrith

Wynfrith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Imitation is a sign of flattery? If it is a faithful enough reproduction then it may not be horrible, but you are taking a chance. Is it worth taking that chance? That is the question only you can answer. As for me I would not bother.

34. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:
    I watched a Flea Market get raided and Truck loads of very flatering Purses shoes Team Jersys Hats watches sunglasses Bikes cds tvs phones games knives swords and all kinds of other flatering stuff was siezed seems the Guys in Gals raiding the joint looked at it a little differant there are Hangers(Aircraft) filled with flatering copys and fakes of name brand stuff and shipping containers being unloaded as we speak of more shiney things it cant be bad ? lol The link above says it all 1,ooo.oo USD leading to the maker If it weret the fact the Country of origin was full of AKs, Chinese Copys of the original BTW I would go poke around a little lol Its Not Good and it is out of control...Just sayin

35. ED-E

ED-E Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  36. Mr.Black

Blog Posts:
    That was Mentioned, in many ways in the other post not sur if you saw em

37. 1911s

1911s Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    From the fallkineven site:

Reward USD 5.000,00 dollars!

If you can provide the information which leads us to the manufacturer of China-made copies of our famous F1 and A1 knives, we will grant you a reward of USD 1.000,00 dollars. We need the true address of the factory and the name of the owner of this factory. Your name will not be disclosed.

38. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    This really floors me. If you hoard knives for 50 years you eventually get all kinds of catalogs, and there have always been copies of whatever the current in blade is.
    Gerber MKI, EK commando, Western bowie, whatever.
    But they had there own brand, this has the logo and everything it really is a counterfeit.

39. highlander

highlander Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought a knock off S.O.G. EMS knife for my wife on Ebay. China...even the papers in the box looked authentic.
    highlander

40. pap11y

pap11y Guide

Blog Posts:
    -- quote removed -- because of the source it came from..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  41. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Counterfeit knives are illegal to make, sell, etc. Buying one by accident is not criminal, but advocating for them is pushing the line.

I think any further comments favorable to buying the known counterfeits will be looked upon as deliberate advocacy for illegal activity.

G1/ Moderator.

42. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm never heard of a knock off Fallkniven before. I would discourage buying it mostly because I wouldnt want my money going to a fake competitor instead of a company thats worked hard to produce their knives. Just my $0.2.

43. Double Ott

Double Ott Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    May I suggest that you remove the direct links to the knock off site in previous post(s).

Tom

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  44. silvanus

silvanus Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    post removed?

"While Fällkniven is a Swedish company, most if not all of its production is done by subcontractors. Early F1 knives made of ATS34 steel were manufactured in Germany by Linder-Solingen. Production has been moved to Japan since Fallkniven replaced ATS34 steel with VG-10 steel in its products" thanks wikipedia.

45. highlander

highlander Guide

Blog Posts:
    i didnt realize that my purchase was a knock off until i did some digging.

46. silvanus

silvanus Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    oops

i mistakenly purchased a knock off fallkniven F1. i did not know it was until, i too, did some digging. for all i know it was a factory second that was resold. everything down to the box was spot on save the grind type.

47. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    I guess it's a big problem with shoes and handbags, I guess I never figured there would be a big enough market that it would be worth the effort for knives...
    what a world we live in.

48. Med Gecko

Med Gecko Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any high dollar, cheap to produce knockoff will do. They even counterfeit fountain pens!

Med. Gecko

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  49. Bouncer871

Bouncer871 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Either a copy or some foreign identity thief.