Koolyomka Trap Trigger

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by chekmate, Jan 9, 2017.

1. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Happy New Year! Everyone,

I was watching "Kullcraven Bushcraft & Survival" on youtube. He was displaying Taiga Apocabox. One of the items that had me very intrigued was the Koolyomka Trap Trigger as was shown in the documentary "Happy People" in the Russian Taiga.

I've tried the Figure Four and the Piute Dead Fall trap triggers in the past with mixed results. I've found the Figure Four was a very finicky trigger to make. The Piute Dead Fall trigger is easier, though still takes time and you require cordage. I made the Koolyomka Trap trigger in 5 minutes or less, from one 1/2 inch diameter dead branch I had lying around and my Mora.

Koolyomka Trigger Pieces.JPG

I found with just a little playing the Koolyomka Trap trigger was very sensitive and liked weight. I set it up with a 40 lb dumbell and it seemed to work great.

Koolyomka Trigger Set.JPG

I'm gonna play with this trigger more. It is so simple and easy to make and is still used today on the Taiga for trapping Sable. I can see why! Give it a try I think you'll agree.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

2. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    A hint - the Russian Trappers set the trigger with the baitstick to the side. That way, the intended has to stretch for the bait which exposes the back to the falling weight. What I love about this set up is that you can easily adjust the sensitivity by sliding the baitstick up or down. And it only takes a small bit of pressure to hold the trigger in place, allowing you to move your hand from underneath before putting the full weight down on it. Have a few scraped knuckles from learning how to set a figure 4.

Bob

3. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's very nice, thanks for sharing. I'll have to give it a try here soon.

4. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    They are easier to set up imo because you can hold the whole thing assembled in one hand while holding the weight with the other.

[​IMG]

I sometimes add a sliver of wedge (a 4th piece) to fine tune sensitivity.

[​IMG]

5. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with you Bob, I can't count the number of times I've smashed my fingers and hands, setting both the Figure four trigger and the Piute deadfall trigger.

It was so easy to set the Koolyomka Trigger with one hand as Alukban stated. Does anyone have a reason why you would use a Figure four trigger or Piute deadfall trigger in place of the Koolyomka trigger?

I plan to practice making and using this trigger in as many scenarios as I can think of. I want to see how big it will go. I really like this triggers simplicity. :dblthumb:

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

6. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've tried to get promentory pegs to work and failed every time. But with this variation, it's a snap.

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  7. TheWhiteWoodsman

TheWhiteWoodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for this. While I've been able to get a Figure 4 to "work" it always left me feeling unsatisfied.... This looks mo betta!

8. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Best primitive trigger system I've ever seen. I haven't put much time into figure 4's or Paiute deadfalls but what little I have worked with them resulted in frustration and smashed fingers. This seems MUCH more simple and field expedient. I'm going to make a couple of these later today and play around with them a bit.

10. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting this. I've had great success and fun making Paiute trap triggers and am excited to try this one out!

11. J Stephens

J Stephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    windowman100 likes this.
  12. himesrun

himesrun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup, going to have to give that a go. Looks like you could whip out a bunch of those quickly, especially sitting around the campfire at night to set the next day. Oh, and I love to check out what's on those bait sticks! Alukban, I have no idea whats on your first one but that second one sure looks like.....a frozen fish stick???;)

alukban likes this.
  13. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    pizza for rats...

...or ninja turtles :4: