Left handed compound bow for my 7 year old?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Tom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey all, thanks for reading.

My 7 year old daughter has taken a real liking to archery and has been asking me to get her a bow. I looked at several retail places and I have encountered the same issues over and over agian.

1.) Price: Let's face it, she is 7. I don't want to sped $300 on a fancy bow that is made for a lefty. Not until I know if she is going to stick with it at least.

2.) The bows that are called "right/left handed" or "ambidextrous" are still strung for a right handed shooter. The pulleys are canted slightly and brings the strings into play when shot by a lefty.

Any ideas? I have an 11 year old son that is also left handed and I might look for a bow for him as well.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give me.

2. mac in mo

mac in mo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am going through the same with one of mine. Craigslist here sometimes has the lefty youth bows but the prices are almost as new.
    You have probably already checked, but if either is dominant in the right eye, that changes everything. That would allow the use of a righty bow. Everything I have read indicates that the eye dominance is something that you almost cannot get around in archery. My lefty son is pretty much ambidextrous and wants to shoot right handed, but I don't want to start him off and have to change later. That's where I am right now.
    PSE has an ambi recurve. It was out of stock everywhere before Christmas, when I first heard of it. It retails for about 40.00. It isn't the greatest bow,but I would like to have him try it out and see if shooting from one side or the other gives him any problems. Then I could go from there and get him a quality bow. I know you stated compound but, no one else responded, so I thought I would throw out my thoughts.
    Good luck. We have had issues with several different things, such as lefty catchers mitts.

Kevin

3. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know of someone that has a Parker youth lefty; it's a solid set-up in excellent condition and would be a good fit for a youngster. Being that young may be challenging with compound bow weights & draw lengths; although this bow in particular adjusts from 35-50 lbs and 24-28" draw, I believe.
    PM me if you are interested and I will get you the contact information.

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Maybe skip the "compound" and go with a Youth recurve... if you can shoot a recurve straight, you can shoot a compound.

5. TomNickell

TomNickell Scout

Blog Posts:
    My 10 yo daughter wants a bow for her up coming birthday. Her request was "no wheels, I want one like yours". I have an old Ben Pearson recurve. Last June I did buy the ambi PSE from a local shop. As you said - not the greatest. But it is fun to shoot, everyone in the family can use it because it is ambi and not much money in it if something happens to it or if my daughter decides not to further pursue archery. Also, while she is interested we can work on her form with this lightweight bow.

6. bigcknott88

bigcknott88 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Coming from a southpaw its hard to find one that is truly a left bow that small. I was able to learn on friends bows to shoot lefty with a righty bow. It took practice and lots of it but I can now shoot lwft or right I'm now truly ambidextrous. But I was only able to do it after yrs of practice. Now that I'm older its a lot easier to find left handed models but growing up in the 90's it was hard. Good luck brother and it is easier to start with a recurve like I did.

7. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seeker has a good suggestion. If you decide to go with a recurve to online to The Sportsman's Guide at this link http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/archery-recurve.aspx?c=8&s=271&d=115 . Peruse through the bows and you will find several good bows for kids. I bought my son a PSE Razorback for less than $150.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  8. Portalime1959

Portalime1959 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I want to buy a compound cross bow for myself .I want to be able to ger my hands on highest quality brand .. I really need to review a different archery products

9. racetrack

racetrack Scout

Blog Posts:
  10. JEB

JEB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not up on the world of compounds BUT my son bought my grand daughter, age 8, a new compound that has draw weight capability from 10# to 70# and the draw length can be increase as she gets older. It sounds like her bow for life is she wants. I think the company name is Bowtech that makes that model.

Or use the KISS method and find a recurve for her.

11. sidmand

sidmand Bacon is food duct tape

Blog Posts:
    BigJims bowshop (a vendor here on BCUSA) might have some recurves if you go that route, and I know for a fact that 3Rivers archery has some. Or, you could enter my 500th post giveaway for a chance to win one I make for your kid.

12. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    is the kid left eye dominant?

13. WillyC

WillyC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did you check with any archery shops.None of the ones around here deal in used bows but they might know someone who upgraded their kids bows and have the old bow for sale.Maybe they would let you put a wanted to buy on their bulletin board.Bows don't hold their value real well you might get a little used bow at a great price. I didn't look at the OP this thread was started 2 years ago and the poster hasn't been active in over a year:25:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  14. ok bowhunter

ok bowhunter Tracker

Blog Posts:
  15. Portalime1959

Portalime1959 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Genesis Bow is the latest best compound bow brand known to me so far. It comes with molded competition grip, lower mount stainless steel cable guard, cable slide. I am having this from so long and it comes as expected very nice, and packaging was good too. I personally suggest all to buy this at least once.