Lessons Learned From teh Baltimore Riots

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Crazysanman, Apr 28, 2015.

1. tracker06

tracker06 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Coming to a town near you.
    Prepping has been given a bad name, thanks Nat Geo. Substitute the word Prudence. This world is 9 meals from anarchy and the rioters in Baltimore were not hungry. I look for an increase in this type of activity and escalation is almost assured. A wise man is a quietly prudent man.

2. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This is true. One thing that looked effective, and has me thinking, is that last night when the curfew passed someone, I have no idea which side they were on, threw a bunch of fireworks into the crowd of protesters. They scattered like roaches in the light and never regrouped after that. I think if there happens to be a violent mob in front of your house and you light and toss a few large fireworks, like mortars, down into the street the mob will break up fast. As soon as they run away from your house you are most likely clear because they will move on to the next house without coming back for more burns from you.

3. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    What was learned from this last riot? Apparently nothing for those involved! It's pure and simple greed for them. They don't care that the only people being hurt by there stupid antics is the people of the community. There not hurting the police force. As long they get their stolen goods they don't care. I saw a picture of that Mom bitch slapping her son but didn't read the article. Good for her!
    If some crap like that ever happens in my home town or anywhere near, I'll be staying way clear of it!

4. MoraBob

MoraBob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Apparently the rioters got into the zoo and let the animals free. Not sure if that is true because it was only mentioned on Instagram not any legitimate news organization. Photo of a lion and zebras running in the streets. Why? No idea. If you want to see it look up #jumanji on instagram.

5. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke

Blog Posts:
    This. Is it better to live in a city and be prepared for a riot, or to live in the country and be prepared for some power outages and snowstorms?

For me, I'd choose the country every day of the week and twice on Sunday, even if the paycheck is tiny compared to what I was making in DC after college.... That many people too close together to be able to fend for themselves is a disaster waiting to happen, even without people instigating riots!

Agrarian society for the win. Let's return to it.

6. forgeblast

forgeblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just wondering what type of legal protection do you have if you fire on looters or a mob threatening your home or business. Running them off with out having to use/fire is one thing. Its a whole other ball game once you pull the trigger. Are you/would you end up in jail?

7. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    At the risk of treading on things that may not be appropriate for these fora, I 'spect that depends on whether your state supports the castle doctrine or not. But IANAL.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. chasntuna

chasntuna Scout

Blog Posts:
    To the points mentioned prior about mobs, riots and protests growing in size and becoming more violent; I personally believe it's because those protesters are simply ALLOWED to behave in such a manner. If we didn't tolerate the excess violence and destruction and if those folks were held accountable, these cities, leaders and law enforecment wouldn't have the issues. Look at the mother this week who slapped her son around into next month - I guarantee HE won't do it again! At some point, SOMEONE needs to be held accountable or "made an example of" if you will and I bet This S*(T would stop! IMHO, same theory for protecting ones family, property, dwelling, etc from a "mob". If one intruder gets a dose of medicine which they don't like, the others won't likely won't progress. I'll say it again and it stands for BOTH sides of this argument; "if you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough".

I live in a town where we have a no-nonsense sheriff that I know wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior, nore would many other sheriffs / chiefs across this nation. I'm a firm believer that's why Charleston, SC didn't have ANY disruption a few weeks back when that POS Charleston cop shot that man in the back.

Sorry if I got off track from the OP; one of the lessons though is how to deal with these animals who show zero respect, whether it be public or private.

9. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Baltimore's Mayor was very clearly holding the police back on the first day and night, "giving the protestors space to destroy" so they could work off their rage. The results being what a rational person would expect, she has since tried to walk that back, and deny that was her orders.

Civilization is based upon a social compact whereby the individual gives up some autonomy, in return for the protection of his rights and welfare by the society at large. Government is one of the ways that compact is fulfilled. When government explicitly allows a group to destroy property and endanger others, it calls the social compact into doubt.

Protests and demonstrations are an American tradition, and civil disobedience is acceptable if those who disobey are willing to face the legal consequences. None of that can be construed to allow riots, looting, violence to officers, reporters and civilians. When a mob starts to form, it is best to disperse it early and completely, if one wishes to maintain order. Once the mob gets its head, it will always lead to much destruction and distress before it is ended.

10. Cubby1285

Cubby1285 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Now there are reports that Freddie Gray's death may be related to a pre-existing spinal & neck injury from a car accident. There are also reports that he had several surgeries on his spine including one only a week and a half before this incident and should have been at home bed resting. I love how the media perpetuates the illusion of corruption by choosing which facts to publish or report on TV while leaving out any exculpatory facts that paint a more complete picture of what really happened. Reminds me of what my parents taught me. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. In an age when the uneducated masses are easily manipulated and quick to anger we should all take note and develop a game plan. Great Thread Crazysanman....

11. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Ah, but the un-spun truth won't sell as much advertising space. We can't have that.

12. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    If you are following along at home, the new Twitter hashtag for the protest/riot organizers is #BaltimoreUprising

13. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really good thread.

May Day is just two days away.
    Keep your eyes open, and everyone stay safe.

14. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    Still boils down to the violence perpetrated against him, but that said, no kind of riot is ever justified and the lawlessness, destruction of property and violence against the people just wipes out any empathy or argument they might have had. No honest person can side with this criminality.
    This is why it is important keep up on the news and when these things start to boil, stay out of the city

15. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    It's spreading

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://revolution-news.com/baltimore-protests-and-solidarity-events-planned-in-6-cities-today/

16. Yellow Lab

Yellow Lab Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Same thing was allowed to happen in Ferguson. I would like to know how much federal money (translation = our tax dollars) will be freely given to Baltimore and to Ferguson.

I fully and 100% support our right to assemble but I don't support looting and destruction.

17. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    And if the police really are abusing their authority and oppressing the citizenry (I have not seen anything to support that, personally, but I expect I lack the information and experience to make a sound judgement on the matter), then I fully support the citizenry's right to fight back. But the looting is what boggles my mind. That doesn't have even a whit of a relation to police brutality. It completely undermines any message they are trying to convey, and IMO is just an excuse to engage in hooliganism.

I imagine that Dr. King is rolling in his grave.

18. Izzy

Izzy Deceased.

Blog Posts:
    Protect and live now or get arrested later ? I know what my instinct is. We are now living in the beginning stages of a 3rd world country here in my beloved US of A. If it hasn't happened in your community yet, be patient cause its coming. Convince your families and friends that this is a very real possibility wherever you are and that is preparation far more valuable than stockpiling ammo. Ammo of course but mental preparedness and expectation of such incidents is priceless.

19. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma - You're next!

[​IMG]

20. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    Denver, Colorado!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1385072371821235/

21. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm all for speaking one's mind and peaceful protests. But as soon as you start trashing/burning cars and homes and businesses and looting... you should be considered a target. It is as simple as that.

22. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for helping keep us informed, Crazysanman. :dblthumb:

23. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I propose Congress pass a National Riot Day on April 15th so everyone can participate and get them over with and enjoy a peaceful summer.

24. BigFootSurvival

BigFootSurvival Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lol. Kinda reminds me of this flick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184339/

25. swamperdog

swamperdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live south of the metro Atlanta, Georgia area but work on the north side of Atlanta. What this means to me is I could be trapped at work and have to make my way through or around Atlanta to get home.

Make sure you factor into any preparedness plan to have adequate supplies with you that you can use to get home to your family in a disaster. I'm also working on a plan to meet up in a safe location if both work and home are compromised.

-Swamperdog

26. Capt Nat

Capt Nat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have noticed in both Ferguson and Baltimore that NOT ONE thug looter has been injured or killed during these riots. I think if you shot one or two of these punks, they would have a complete change of heart as they fled from the "violence" they are there to confront...

27. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    What I have trouble understanding is how stealing a bag of paper towels and posting your picture for the world to see is helping solve the issue?

28. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do not confuse their rhetoric with any actual rational intent. :(

Protests are now merely a prelude to deliberately incited riots, with looting as part of the incentive for the "shock troops".

So far, they have not been able to find anyone who can articulate a specific "issue" to be solved. Police = Bad; Riots and Loot= Good - that is not an issue it is a false proposition, and should be rejected out of hand.

29. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There is a video of a rioter getting owned by a guy for throwing something at (presumably) his wife. It was sent to me via FB in a flood of about 20+ videos that were posted. You will not see images of rioters getting their come uppings because it may spark more outrage and possibly more rioting. There is also a video of some dumb guy trying to pull a Tiananmen square and blocking the Riot Police getting arrested. They showed pretty good restraint as the guy was yelling some bad things that I, not being as nice as the police, would not have tolerated as nicely.

IMO if you want to see protesting see the pics from MLK's protests, if you want to see looting turn on the news right now.

30. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While social media can be helpful in these situations it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone can post there and weeding out the truth from those just wishing to incite trouble or simply stir things up for fun can be difficult. All day Tuesday in Baltimore there were posts of looting in places that were untouched, schools and stores set on fire, huge fights at local schools etc.... that simply did not happen. Many Facebook neighborhood sites carried info like this and just fueled panic. Overall Tuesday was pretty tame compared to Monday afternoon, today even more so.

I work a few blocks from where this all started on Monday and it was pretty tense getting out of the area. Last night a few stores in the area had some 'soft" looting, people running into open stores and grabbing a few things and running, etc... but again nothing like Monday. Three shootings within a few blocks of work but then again that is about average for that part of Northwest Baltimore.

Having scanner access was handy so I knew where not to go on the way home and to make the call whether we would work on Tuesday or close our plant. No truckes would come to make pickups in our area on Tuesday to protect their drivers from harm. Amazingly the number of injuries throughout all this was small but many were not reported. A person we know was found beaten in the back of a store he worked in and is currently in shock trauma and will hopefully recover.

Be prepared in advance since as the original poster mentioned no ammo, etc... was available so if you did not already own protection, you were not going to get it now.

31. true north

true north Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There are some lessons to be learned from the 1992 Rodney King/L.A. riots, the Ferguson, MO riots and the Baltimore, MD riots -

1: Don't EVER live in a city or town - buy/lease/rent a home out in the country that is 5-10 miles from the nearest town and at least 50 miles from the nearest large city.

2: Do not wait till there is trouble to buy firearms and ammunition. Once SHTF, gun stores will either be closed, ordered to not sell anything by the powers that be or they will be out of stock on the most needed firearms and ammunition. The key is to be armed, stocked up on ammo and mags as well as trained and proficient with your weapons BEFORE trouble starts.

Are these and other preparations inconvenient? Maybe. But ending up DEAD is even more inconvenient than the above measures.

32. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    not always so, Sarge. I was living outside of Atlanta but had business downtown during the Rodney King riots. as luck would have it, I had to pass right through some of the affected areas to reach the interstate to get home.

I had to stop and reverse a couple times before I made it and it really put me in mind of "what if"? this is when I created my "get-home" bag and kept it in the car ever since...

33. Izzy

Izzy Deceased.

Blog Posts:
    The more I keep reading the more evidence I find that points to a lot of the media coverage being subjective and localized. Im hoping B'more is getting back to normal and that any instigators be brought to justice. What trouble there was, looks like even the slightest pre planning and prep would have made a world of difference in keeping safe for such a short term.

34. turtlepwr281

turtlepwr281 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Looks like Philly has a protest today (4/30) at 4:30 downtown. Here's hoping it stays peaceful. Looks like it has to potential to include over 1000 people. I know I'll be on the 4:00 train home...

35. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    Good News, no riots in Maine yet and none scheduled.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  36. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is why everybody, even in places far distant from the actual turmoil, can be effected by it. If what's going on in Baltimore was also happening at the same time in other big cities, all of us would feel it pretty soon. It wouldn't be long before the shelves in the Walmarts all over the country were empty.

37. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep...our wally world pharmacy was out of certain meds that were held up because of this.

38. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They had scheduled protests in Boston last night. College kids and old white people attended (no joke, I saw the coverage this morning) protesting police brutality in MA. Which is amusing, as there were 4 complaints of it last year. In the entire state. 4. Oh NOES!!!

That being said, working FOR a PD, the preparedness is a little different. Never let others know you work for a PD. Never address officers AS officers when they are out of uniform. Its a sad world when you have to hide, for fear of retaliation of a crime that you were never part of-and is hyped up from the media.

39. MarcoMontana

MarcoMontana Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great post, I was in Hurricane Andrew back in 92 I was alone starting me path in my studio apartment, when we lost power and people were told not to e on streets. My family beeped me 911 to see if I was ok, and not having a cell then, I walked to a pay phone and witnessed massive violence , looting, smashing windows running off with merchandise and food, lottery tickets, breaking in cars, etc.

So I learned your lesson then to be ready! Thats how I started looking around for preparedness and found Bushcraft and Prepper type blogs.

40. autologus

autologus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Roll out the National Guard, have the President declare the rioters terrorists and authorize the use of deadly force and the rioting will come to an end.

41. Yellow Lab

Blog Posts:
    If anyone has ever been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans then you may know how the police do crowd control. When there is any type of altercation a team comes down and swarms the individuals and removes them from the area. People go on enjoying themselves.

I would set up teams to do this and find the instigators and primary troublemakers. Removing them from the scene quickly will quell lots of this behavior.

Most of the offenders throwing rocks, etc are followers who are taking advantage of the situation. Cut off the head and the rest stops.

42. Yellow Lab

Blog Posts:
    duplicate post

43. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    While that may be true, and I agree somewhat, I fear that'll only open a door for "Billy Bob's terrorists hunting squad" and that just lead's to more violence.

44. WoodGnome

WoodGnome Woodgnome Supporter

Blog Posts:
  45. Seniorman

Seniorman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I suggest that you -- and others in your situation -- always have city and county maps with you so you can know which streets and out-of-area streets or highways you can take which will keep you out of any riot or dangerous areas.

Do not depend on an in-vehicle GPS. Those things might lead you directly into a bad area.

Study your maps BEFOREHAND and determine alternate routes so you do not have to take the time to do so in an emergency.

I lived inn Los Angeles (home of earthquakes, riots, and additional fun events) for years and I always had several "escape" routes planned according to my city and county maps, depending on where I was in the city.

Just a suggestion.

S.M.

46. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good on her! if the brat was throwing rocks, I hope he gets jail time, Juvi time, community service, whatever, just something to change his path course!

47. chasntuna

chasntuna Scout

Blog Posts:
  48. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    Either that or make HER Chief of Baltimore Police.

49. Bosapah

Bosapah Scout

Blog Posts:
    A few months after Katrina made land fall, I found myself out of college and looking for a job. I was offered a job running a demo crew in new Orleans by a family friend. My best friend had just finished his last tour in Iraq and I invited him to come with me. We spent 8 months down there with spotty electricity and no running water. There were no grocery stores to go to. They had all been looted or destroyed by the storm. All supplies were dropped off to us monthly. Until you've stood in a Walmart or auto zone or the shell of a chain Resturant alone and had the last man on earth feeling, you can't accurately comprehend it. No life, only the skeleton of what was once a thriving "civilized" area. The humans that were there were scavenging predators or thugs looting and taking what they wished. They would loot and steal and then when a hummer would drive by, hide their treasure in the piles of rubble beside a house we were tearing down. There was daily gunfire exchanged between these people. When they would start shooting on the street my crew was working on, Id call the army corps and tell the to haul ass and we would all get in the floor board of the truck or behind something stable until they showed up in their hummers and unleashed the German shepards. There were 13 murders in one day while I was there. Got to see most of the aftermath. All of the protest, Jessie and Al shut down our work for a few days, Oprah, and brad and Angelina. All the important stuff.

What am I trying to say? The convenient and blessed existence I wake up to every day is very fragile. Those experiences changed me forever. It's the first thing I think about every morning, and I thank god for my blessings and HOT WATER soon after. I quickly learned that you can have all of the supplies in the world, but if you don't have the skills and imagination to improvise, you won't make it far. If you see a potential disaster coming, leave. You can buy new stuff, it's hard to replace a life. Also, don't ever say it won't happen to me. I just had ground zero for the U.S. Ebola epidemic open up a few blocks from my work and last weekend there was a terrorist shooting 6 miles away. I could ramble on forever about this. Sorry. G1 made some great points about self defense. Don't get tied down to your supply hoard. It will get you killed. Stay mobile. Count your blessings, soak up the hot water and love your family.

J

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  50. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Several people have posted it's a good idea to be on good terms with your neighbor. I only have one or two decent neighbors. The rest are useless and unfriendly. Our house is where most of them would come for assistance if something bad happened. But after years of issues I'm pretty much done helping them.

Jon.