Lets hear your favorite woods pistol and Why!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hickory stick, Mar 2, 2012.

1. hickory stick

hickory stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to apologize again for the poorly worded and confusing post that I made on carry pistols.I was stretched for time and the details of that topic are complex with all its variables. I'll do this a little different!
    Before I start and if you fine men will humor me for a paragraph or two I'd like to say something of importance to me.
    We need to work together to use this fantastic website for what it is, a huge learning, teaching and mentoring tool.We are the last of our kind in this culture, and there are many people out there that can learn from your skills , wisdom, and creativity. Its our responsibility to give , teach and handdown in a positive manner. If I sound passionate about that it is because I am.
    We all come from varying lifestyles and parts of the country. We sometimes have very different ideas and skill sets. My hope in this posting, and many more, is that we can all learn from each others experiences, wisdom, and talents.
    Let us all hear about your favorite Woods carry handgun, and Why it is your choice. Tell us a few reasons why. I'll start it off.
    I have two favorite woods handguns . They are both revolvers. A sw 629 mountain gun in 44mag and a sw 34 kit gun in 22lr.They both carry 4 inch barrels
    The 629 I carry in a bianchi cyclone holster throughout hunting season in the fall and winter.I have come to love this revolver over the years, for many reasons. A few of them are;

1. I shoot it extremely well
    2. Carries well for weight and size , crossdraw or strongside
    3. The caliber allows me to reload a multitude of different loadings , light to heavy, in 44spl. or 44mag, giving me lots of options.
    4. Ive never yet been able to find another large caliber handgun that could take this ones place on what it will do all around in the woods.

The Model 34 J frame kit gun is my woods gun is my choice in the spring and summer. You all might find this a little strange that I would choose a 22lr. I do for these reasons;
    1. The ability to shoot large numbers of cheap ammo for practice to keep my skills sharp.
    2. This little revolver just seems to hit what i aim at. Ive fired it so much, on so many different targets and small game animals that my confidence is extremely high with it.
    3. Its a pleasure to carry, due to its lightweight and small size.
    4.Many of you might feel that a 22lr is too small for a woods gun. I live in the rural midwest.[If I lived in bear or big cat country this caliber would not be my choice]. I have dispatched many critters with it over the years.W ild canines are not a match for the little guns effectiveness. This revolver has taken numerous livestock animals and the majority of all canine size animals and smaller in my area.
    5.The two legged kind of critter I'm a little under gunned, but I still have confidence that the ole model 34 could get me out of pinch if need be.At least it would be better than a slingshot!
    6. Quality, accurate 22lr revolvers and automatics are just plain fun shoot!!! They are also the perfect handgun to teach a young or novice shooter with.
    So now, tell us about your Favorite Woods handgun and Why! Have a Good Un and Take Care!

2. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    S&W 629 4 inch and a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk. Both in El Paso leather. Sometimes replaced with a 686 or .357 Blackhawk 3 screw.

I love my wheelguns and I am very accurate with them. I prefer guns with some "BOOM" when I pull the trigger. Both my .44s and .357s hit hard, yet are still fun to shoot.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not allowed to carry a pistol in NJ!!!! If I could most likely one on my .22s either the single six or the mark II Not much need for the big bores so the .357 and .45ACP would stay home.

4. skorpyd

skorpyd Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's my little plinker. Ruger MKII 22/45, I found it at a local GS and liked it over the newer MKIII that I was looking for, because it can still be fired as a single shot if the mags are lost.

I made the kydex holster and put a belt clip on so that the gun points to the rear with the handle up. Works for me. I added the Holo sight but haven't used it enough to decide if I will keep it or not.

The knife is a Scrap Yard 511 with homemade kydex.
    [​IMG]

5. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    For Carry - - - woods or not
    I own 4 Glocks I've rotated thru for the past few years...
    G26 and G19 - two sizes in 9mm
    G27 and G23 - two sizes in .40

I shoot these in club matches and have taken them to self defense course training schools as well.
    Stupid simple, uber reliable, and no do-dads. Pull, point, shoot. -- repeat as necessary.

Recently I've fallen in love with my new Ruger SP101 in .357mag.
    I can't say enough about how well the gun shoots and I have every confidence in my 5 rounds -- given I shoot it well.
    A couple Bianchi speed strips are at hand as well.
    Again...Pull, Point, Shoot. Repeat as necessary.... I like simple.

ALL the above guns are carried in the same Smart Carry Holster most of the time.
    Everyone is different, but I like these...I can wear anything, or almost nothing, and basically unless I am showering or swimming, I'm wearing my gun.
    I like that, it works for me.

[​IMG]

holds all 4 Glock sizes, and all my snubbies as well.

I do have a complete set from Rob at Simply Rugged Holsters that I like too.
    The leather set up gives me a big grin, and do wear it at times I can wear a cover garment. (my work attire is slacks and shirt/tie - thus the smart carry)

[​IMG]

as with all my 'carry guns' - I added a CT lasergrip
    Not into the laser debate. I shoot better with CT's....so they are with me.

[​IMG]

I used to carry a NAA mini revolver in .22lr for years in my PFD.
    Over the last year I've made too many comments about wishing I could have more firepower for the stupid water mocs in the backwaters where I like to fish...

now, that wish is over - the Ruger fits just fine in the PFD pocket. lol.

6. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For me generally its a S&W 686 (no dash) .357. Why? Because its my truck gun so if I pull over some where to hike around for a bit its handy to grab. For the same reason you like the .44 I like the .357. I can load it down with .38's and pack several rounds of snakeshot as well. Here where I live a rangy bull is more of a threat than finding an angry bear or anything. I have a .454 Casull because its fun and F.A. makes a great gun. It can also be loaded up or down depending. But honestly its more than I need for where I live and the places I go.

As far as a .22 I would agree with you on your points but the actual gun I want isn't made.
    It would be:
    S&W 617 .22LR frame
    5" 624 style pencil barrel
    fixed sights

7. Sawdust and Splinters

Sawdust and Splinters Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hands down it would be my fathers old single six .22 with the 9 1/2 barrel. Ive put down a lot of game with that old gun over the years. Other wise for now I do fairly well with my Mark II. Next step up would be an old 38/44 outdoorsman.

8. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice and well thought out rigs Solocanoe! Thanks for the pictures.

9. hickory stick

hickory stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hawk creek a freedom arms is one pistol I've never been able to get my hands on to own.one of the few when it comes to revolvers. I ve always thought a f.a. Model 97 with a 5inch barrel in 45 lc would be sleeper woods gun. Smith Wesson 22lr revolvers are my weakness. I love them all,especially the model 34,63, and 18. Thanks for your reply!

10. skorpyd

skorpyd Scout

Blog Posts:
    Solocanoe, nice rigs. I might have to check them out. I have that same SP 101 as well as a couple pocket 9mm's that I haven't found a concealed carry setup that I'm totally comfortable with yet.

11. hickory stick

hickory stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
  12. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mine is a Model 83 with a 4.75" barrel. I've since changed the express sights out for the standard set (couldn't get used to the sight picture wish someone made a set of McGiverns for it). It's a great gun for sure.
    [​IMG]

13. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Depends on where I would be going, and if I was carring a long arm. Either a Ruger MK1 in .22 or a Colt Trooper MKIII in .357 mag (6' bbl on the Colt, 4 3/4 on the Ruger)

14. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    FA M-97 4 1/4" .44 SPL or a 4" S&W 629, both in a chest rig or in my pack depending on where I am. Both are powerful, take snake shot, are SS, and are accurate.

Regards,

ezra

15. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My favorite woods pistol was a Ruger Mk II, which I no longer have.

My favorite woods revolver is my Ruger Single-Six. (still have this one) :50:

[​IMG]

I have always loved the Western Single-Action revolver. Just a die hard Lone Ranger and Wild Bill Hickok fan, I guess! Besides, I like the way they feel in the hand and the way they shoot. They're unlike any other handgun.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  16. canteencup

canteencup Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is what I call my multi purpose gun. The 686 serves my needs for hunting, Plinking, home def. bush whacking and camp partner. She hits hard with a recoil easily managed, and 38s are a blast to shoot all day long.

[​IMG]

17. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    My woods pistol is a taurus 94 stainless 2" barrel small enough to carry all day minute of squirrel @ 50 ft teamed with a H&R single shot shotgun if I am more in the hunting mood it works for me
    Roy

18. bourbon&bisquits

bourbon&bisquits Scout

Blog Posts:
    Freedom Arms 97 4 1/4" 357 mag w/ express sights--but--I'm looking to pick up a Henry 22 mares leg this year- and that well may become my favorite

19. Kimber45guy

Kimber45guy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm not complicated. My 45's do the trick for anything I need to shoot. They ride on my right hip daily in 3,4, & 5" variants. The weather, and clothing choices generally make the difference in what I carry. But when I'm in the bush my 5" is normally my partner for the trip.

Weight on my carry sidearm is a non issue for me, but I carry every day on duty and am used to it. I enjoy the accuracy I get out of the 5" 1911 and the natural "point" I experience with it. I don't often encounter two legged predators in the bush, but if I did...

Anyway I'm getting long winded. It's my fav bush gun because I trust it. Because I have time on the gun. And because it just "feels right."

20. Purdey

Purdey Scout

Blog Posts:
    FA M97

Hickory Stick, the M97 comes with 4 1/4", 5 1/2", and 7 1/2" bbls.
    Mine has a 4 1/4" and is chambered for 45 Colt. I load it very hot with 300gr. hard cast SWC's over a stiff load of W296. :D

21. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm quite fickle... my favorite changes from day to day. My favorite woods gun at any point in time is thus the one that you will find on me. These days it's a K-frame rimfire :dblthumb:

Why?
    • I like rolling the action, lots of times.
    • I enjoy the challenge of hitting 4" steel plates at 50y while standing DA.
    • I like the inexpensive ammo.
    • It's terrible to carry in a holster so I just carry it in one hand and mentally treat it like a "very small rifle" - HEH-HEH ;)
    • I like to fondle and look at it.

[​IMG]

22. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have played with a lot of guns for the woods. I use to own a gun shop and still have 20+ handguns. I also lived in a cabin in the woods for a few years during a mid-life crisis, My wife calls it that I call it a mid-life epiphany What I found "fit" for the woods were revolvers. specifically 357's .44's
    357/38
    My favorite was and is Bill Jordans Combat Magnum S&W 19 or the 66. The versitility of this middle magnum and its cylinder mate .38special is just unmatched. The .38 waddcutter or semi-waddcuter at 600fps to 800fps is almost a better small game gun than a rimfire. Hard cast magnum loads will penetrate anything east of the Mississippi stem to stern. ( I worked in law enforcement for 15+ years and had the occasion to put a Lyman #358429 170gr through the brisket of a 1600lb Holstein that had been hit by a car and it came out the rear hip.) The Hornaday XTP HP or Sierra Sports Master SP in 158gr handled my hunting needs when the cast bullets were not used. I have a deep hatred of snakes, and the .38 Speer shot capsules will kill snakes better than any solid bullet, (espically if your hopping around and screaming like a little girl when you find one underfoot) If forced to own only one handgun the 4" 357 would be the one.
    .44mag/special
    If I lived somewhere where I could bump into a griz, or really big game was an issue, I would bump up the power factor and carry the .44mag/special in my Super Blackhawk or S&W 29 but I just don't need the power where I live. Love these guns. Handloaders can get the .45lc to work just as well. and If called uppon will do anything + some the 357/38 will.
    .22/.22mag
    I shot these more than anything else and genuinely respect the killing power of these rounds, I carry on on the trap line, and love the challenge of hunting with them but if push came to shove and was threatned my man or beast would be wishing for a bigger gun and as stated above the .38 wadcutters will do everything they do.

23. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    the primary reason i carry a pistol in the woods is for snake protection (0- and 2-legged). during much of deer and squirrel seasons, i don't have to carry it because the no-legged snakes are in a den somewhere (though i did have a fright this past january, of all months, when i lit up a small snake with my headlamp while looking up into a tree!) once this time of year comes around though, and it starts warming up, i trade the hunting rifles for a Taurus 66 .357 revolver with a 4" barrel.

i chose a revolver because my worst nightmare is a snake in the canoe, we flip, and i come up out of a muddy bayou with a jammed automatic full of useless snakeshot and a cottonmouth looking me in the eye... so, reliability was a big factor. cost was another. i'm pleased with the Taurus. at the time, i couldn't afford a S&W. as for length, a friend of mine has the same model in 6". it's nice, but was too bulky for my taste. i carry it in a chest holster, so i can also sleep with it on my chest in my hammock, and can carry a backpack without it being in the way. i carried a .45 in a shoulder holster for a few years when i was a tanker, and i liked it (both the gun and the holster) a lot, but it didn't meet the sleep/reliability/cost/carry a backpack test. later on, another friend of ours showed me his 2". i shot some snakeshot out of all three, at various ranges, and i was happiest with my 4". my 2nd friend's gun had a Hogue grip though, so once i felt that, i HAD to have one...

on another note, we have a wild boar problem locally, and i generally carry 2 different ammo loads in my cylinder... 3-4 snakeshot, 3-4 JHP. during the day, i roll over to the snakeshot. at night, i roll the cylinder forward again to a solid shot.

24. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    For general run-around small game hunting / woods gun, my MKII fits the bill. It's highly modded & will out-shoot many .22 rifles. However, when deer season rolls around I carry a Bisley-Hunter in .44. For walking around the property & EDC, my SP101 in .357 or G26 in 9mm...

25. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
  26. hickory stick

hickory stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Purdey I'm jealous of your sidearm, and where you live! I spent some time up there as a young man. Multiple years ago I called F.A. and if I remember correctly they told me that I could get about any custom barrel length that I wanted if I paid a little extra. 5 inch has always been my favorite in a single action revolver, but I would take a 4.25 or 5.5 in a heartbeat in a F.A. 97.I beieive you own probably the finest revolver ever made! Take care....

27. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hickory Stick,
    You can definitely get a 5" for a small up charge. I have the 4 1/4 as stated above but I also have a 3 1/2" with a dovetail front sight and a fixed rear sight. The dovetail option allows me the ruggedness of a fixed rear sight with the ability,because of 4 factory sight heights, to tailor my sights to my specific load which is the 250 Keith in front of a good dose of Unique. That dovetail front sight is a Godsend...

Regards,

ezra

28. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm still on the search for the perfect woods pistol. I've carried a gp100 with a 4" barrel, a ruger single six, a ruger mark 3, and most recently an Xdm in .40. I like them all I think I just need to start carrying 2 as I've had some run ins with rattlesnake and I always seem to not have snake shot ready

29. VagabondKnight

VagabondKnight Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've settled on a ruger single six convertible. Durable as all hell (it DOES say "Ruger" on the barrel), accurate enough, .22 wmr will handle nearly anything *I* need to worry about. I considered a .357 long and hard, but the deciding factor ended up being the ammo. 50 rounds in the palm of my hand is very convincing. Just my 2 cents.

K. Xalli

30. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    During "snake season" I keep one round of snake shot in the first cylinder and everything else is regular load. I hope that most animals that would cause me any issue in the woods (dogs mostly) are not things that will happen so fast that I could not fire a pair of rounds double action quickly enough to handle them especially due to the light recoil of the shot charge. and I will normaly kill a snake with just one round of snake shot.

31. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree that the cost and weight of the .22 are its biggest selling points. I would most likely carry the same thing a lot more, If I did not cast and load for the .357/38. I got lucky and found a guy with a drinking issue that ran a tire and break place in town and he traded me 2 55gal drums of wheel weights for 4 cases of beer one night. It took me a whole week to get all the wheel weights out of those things into buckets to take home. So I can shoot .38's for about the same price as .22's probably for the rest of my life.:59:

32. wolffire99

wolffire99 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry my Kahr P9 with 115gr +p fmj's and a couple snake shot rounds. Not ideal but it's what I got. Should be plenty for what we deal with. The occasional rabid coyote, disgruntled black bear, feral hogs, or cornered mountain lion.

33. star-tac

star-tac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I usually carry my browning buckmark .22 if Im carrying in the woods.

34. mischief

mischief Guide

Blog Posts:
    RUGER Single Six

35. Arizona-Hermit

Arizona-Hermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ruger MK I or II - .22... because they are just plain fun to shoot.
    and
    Glock 21 - .45... just in case.

I want a Ruger Alaskan in .44 so bad I can taste it... just because.

36. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
    My all-time favorite .22 handgun was the Stoeger Luger, but I have literally worn it out and parts are nearly extinct. I have fallen back to relying on my other almost equally ancient favorite Ruger Mark I. It's close to the feel of the Luger, but not quite:58: That old girl felt as natural as pointing my finger and many a squirrel lost an eye to it's natural pointing ability.

37. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mine is a stainless Rossi wheel gun with a 4" barrel in .357. Standard Bianchi holster. Not many fauna threats here, unfortunately it's the 2 legged vermin that are the concern nowadays. But, getting out in the bush does cut down on the chance of meeting them except in the forests where they might want to set up a grow operation. Then, quietly beat feet to safety and contact authorities as to the location you found. This is where map, compass, and GPS skills can come in very handy.

38. bush guy

bush guy Scout

Blog Posts:
    my dads 44 magnum 9 inch barrel "dirty harry " style or a s&w 357 magnum

39. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm rather partial to a Smith 29 with a 4" barrel, or a Ruger single action in 45 cal with appropriate loads. By appropriate, I dont mean nuclear. I use some stout loads, but don't beleive nuclear level loads are needed for anything in the lower 48, and yes, I live in grizzly country.

Both are a perfect size/weight/power level for my uses, and quite comfortable to carry all day in a decent belt rig.

40. Pointer

Pointer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    High Standard 9 shot 22 caliber revlover. I like a revolver and I like the design of this one. It is also very accurate.

41. probie

probie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1^ I love my High standard, its gotta be the best pistol i own.

42. coaldigger

coaldigger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ruger MKII Target SS .22LR

My favorite pistol to pack in the woods is my Ruger MKII Target model SS .22
    It's Very accurate & cheap to shoot, the factory sights are great & it's SS so the weather doesn't hurt it like it would a blued firearm. The .22LR will take pretty much any game you would need to take(with the proper shot placement).
    [​IMG][/IMG]

43. El Lobo

El Lobo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Smith and Wesson Model 60. Stainless J-frame .357 with a 3-inch barrel and adjustable sights. Mine really likes Federal 125 grain JHP's.

Compact
    Reliable
    Accurate
    Powerful

What's not to like?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  44. huntingohio

huntingohio Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have gone through to many to count some favorites are
    taurus 357 tracker w 6 in barrel
    ruger mark series [used 1 and 22/45]
    sheridan knockabout
    a marbles game getter copy 22 made on a martini frame

My current and most favorte is the 1911, any 1911
    using cast loads ive killed all local legal game animals.

45. MJDavis

MJDavis Unworthy Field Participant Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt with chest rig for me:

[​IMG]

46. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I took out a few handguns this weekend and played in the woods for a day. I had been thinking about this thread and decided to just see if I was sure about my current thinking. I took a S&W 19 - 357, Colt Python - 357, Colt King Cobra -357, Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag, Kimber 1911 -.45acp, Glock 19 - 9mm, TC Contender - 30-30, and a Ruger Mark 1 -22lr.
    I came away with a renewed respect for the 357/38's and all they could do. and a lot of empty .38 brass.
    I did just about as well with the SBH Bisley and it has to get a sentimental vote because it just feels like a woods gun.
    The little rimfire was not liking the federal bulk ammo and I should have brought out another type of ammo for it, so it set out on the fun alot.
    I love my defensive autos but for me they just did not have the power or accuracy the revolvers displayed. I would be hard pressed to hunt squirrels with a glock 17 in a woods without foaliage on the trees.
    The gun I took out on a whim was the continder and got to say I have never thoutht of it in this role but due to the accuracy of this gun it was a real winner. I was hitting 6"X6" steel plates at up to 175 yards with 125gr balistic tip handloads. Anyone who chooses to take on with a couple of barrels on a camp may be better armed than most would think. I may order a .22 barrel for this one and put the scope on it and use iorns for my 30-30 or .44 barrels, and have a serious "Continder" for best woods gun. Made me rethink woods gun a little bit. And rethinking is good...

Attached Files:

47. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Ruger .44 Mag.
    Everything around here is big. If nothing else, the noise alone might scare the crap out of 'em.

48. Gingerman

Gingerman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love the 629, but prefer the longer barrel of the Redhawk. .44 is my go-to choice in handguns for all of the reasons you listed. ( sound just like Elmer Keith).

49. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For general woods bumming I like the .22 rimfire. I carry either a Ruger Single Six revolver or a Ruger MkII 5.5" bull barrel semiauto. Of the two I prefer the revolver since it lets me shoot LR, L and S ammo, and change the cylinder for magnums. Both are very accurate, the semi-auto is as or more accurate than my 10/22s are.
    For small game hunting when carrying a .22 rifle, especially in the mountains, or just wandering in potentially unfriendly territory I carry a Ruger GP100 3" .357 mag. to deal with unfriendly encounters with bears and mountain lions, or two-legged predators. I like the .357 mag. since it give the versatility of using .38 Spl loads or a variety of magnum loads, is capable of dealing with the black bears around here, and will also take deer, etc. I've hunted and taken deer in the past with it and it does very well.
    I'm saving my money for a Ruger SP101 .357 mag. 2". My nephew has one and I just love it.
    I have some Glocks, both 9mm and .40S&W, and sometimes carry them. I've hunted with the .40 and it does well on javelina, haven't taken a deer with it yet. They are very good pistols, and light and accurate. But I like revolvers so they stay home most often.

50. mdauben

mdauben Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had my eye one one of those at the local gun shop. Looks like a great "heavy kit gun". :57: