Lightweight Wool cargo pants

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Hunt4lyf, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone out there have any ideas on lightweight wool cargo pants? I'm going crazy trying to find some for backpacking/hunting. They need to be solid color, I don't want camo since we knock on doors for access and I want to look as clean as possible. I was looking at the first lite kanab but talked with a guy who sells them and he said they're not very durable.

I've been wearing wool slacks from goodwill but I really want cargos.

I have a pair of Columbia wool pants but they are way to heavy, the Swedish are to heavy, even the lighter weight cabelas are to heavy. Lightweight is the keyword here. I get overheated to easy to wear heavy weight pants and I much rather have several thin layers than one heavy one.

Thanks for any help

2. mongo1958

mongo1958 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. IDSS

IDSS Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First Lite makes a lightweight merino cargo pant in a color they call dry earth; looks like carhartt brown.
    Day One Camouflage will also turn out a pair of their six-pocket cargo pants in charcoal grey. I don't have any of first lite's products, but I have been lusting after some of their stuff for quite some time.
    Day one makes good stuff. I have a few things from them, notably the parka, in cotton. It's well put together and made to order.

Both places are pretty proud of the pants they make, especially in wool.

4. clanmaki

clanmaki Guide

Blog Posts:
    What size do you wear? I might have an od green 100% Australian cargo pants.

5. Pablo

Pablo Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Keep your eye out for the U.S. surplus wool pants made from a light "whipcord" wool fabric. The threads are twisted before weaving to yield a tighter weave. They're not cargo pants, but you might like them enough to overlook that deficiency. I've found them to be excellent for cool weather wear.

6. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Why not just sew cargo pockets to your best pair of dress pants?
    Easy job with a decent sewing machine, and this is why so many old wool pants from WW2 have different coloured cargo pockets, they were added by regimental tailors after manufacture.
    Unless you are trying to be a fashion clothes-horse in the woods having pockets of a different colour shouldn't be an issue and the pockets do not have to be woollen.
    You could rip the side seams and make the knees bellowsed at the same time, I have done this with my old battledress while adding knee patches for wear and extra warmth.

7. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'd almost forgotten about this post.

I looked at these but I as told by someone who uses them and also sells them them they just aren't very durable. He tore the crotch out of 2 pairs during 1 elk season. These are the type I am looking for though.

36x34 Thanks!

Thanks ill keep my eye open for these.

Ive thought about this, I even have an old pair of wool cargo pants that I bought just for the pockets. I know nothing about sewing and don't own a sewing machine but it is something I plan on doing. Nope, not really concerned about looks. Thanks.

8. Madbomber1998

Madbomber1998 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How durable are the First Lite pants?

9. Wildewinds

Wildewinds Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Check out LL Bean. They have different wool outdoors pants.

10. winterlover

winterlover Guide

Blog Posts:
    The whipcord wool pants from Filson are terrific and should last forever. Look in ebay. I added 2 way side zips to mine for easy on/off and for added ventilation. Also if you can find them the old postal service whipcords were great, and lighter than the Filson. Cabelas has whipcord as well I think. If these are too heavy go with surplus store dress pants. Or, consider just wearing shell wind pants (synthetic or light canvas) over long underwear, very versatile.

11. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    GAP wool cargo pants.

I actually had to stand up and drop my drawers because I'm wearing them right now.

They are 80/20 and are just the right level of warmth for this weather here in the PNW.

Got mine at the Goodwill store for $12.99. Great pants so far. YMMV.

12. HorseSoldier

HorseSoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've heard that the FirstLite pants have been through a couple redesigns along the way. I've been using a pair purchased last fall pretty heavily with good results. My only significant complaints aren't durability related, but only that the pockets aren't the best designed I've ever seen. The cargo pockets themselves are smallish and don't have buttons, snaps, etc (just a fabric cuff), so they aren't in any way comparable to, say, BDU pants pockets. I use them for relatively light and stable stuff, like a spare knit cap or gloves if I'm expecting to be out and sweating. The hip pockets are also kind of shallow compared to most pants and while I've never lost keys, wallet, phone, or whatever when wearing them (in town or out), they seem less secure than deeper pocketed pants.

The stitching seems to hold up well, and the only issue with the fabric durability I've had was a slip and fall on an icy spot onto a broken branch with a resulting small tear (and small cut to me through silk weight long johns also). For the fabric weight involved, I'd say they held up better than rip-stop summer weight BDUs or similar, though the winter weight version of BDUs or denim or something else heavier probably would have shrugged off the hit better.

13. Caper86

Caper86 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard of this before, but I love the idea. Thanks a bundle!

14. HorseSoldier

HorseSoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think some of the WW2 reenacting places even sell just cargo pockets so guys in that hobby can do their own "rigger modified" uniforms and such.