Lodge preseasoned cast iron skillet and carbon steel skillet

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Blueraja, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,

Just a quick review of Lodge's preseasoned cast iron skillets and their preseasoned carbon steel skillets.

Both were nicely seasoned, however the CI is developing a better season after each and every use. The carbon steel is taking much longer, and needs more aftercare.

I have purposely cooked fatty/greasy foods in the carbon steel, to set the seasoning, however there is still much more noticeable sticking when compared to the CI. also, Lodge suggests that after each use, the carbon steel should be coated with a light cooking oil before being stored, which is what I've been doing.

I'm trying to give them each equal use, but the CI is really taking off when compared to the carbon. However, the carbon has a great, long handle which would be perfect for camp use over a fire, not to mention its lighter weight.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know my experiences with these two skillets so far.

2. rusty stove

rusty stove Guide

Blog Posts:
    good review- I have used cast iron for years- mostly Lodge- but have found a Griswold, and a couple of Wagners- they are somewhat thinner and a smoother finish on the bottom- probably less forgiving in a campfire than Lodge- I am really coming to prefer Carbon steel for the less weight factor- but that is a trade off with the lack of heat retention.

3. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great Cookware

Hi
    I have the lodge 10 inch carbon steel and it has become my favorite pan. It took awhile to get good with it but I now like it better than my CI fry pans for everything except frying chicken.
    The seasoning that it came with wasn't very good imo. Long story short after trying loads of different things. I use crisco or canola oil for cooking.
    What I do to season it is of course use it but I put some oil in it and heat it over the stove till it starts smoking. Let it cool down wipe it out then use. Mine has been very good for me eggs slide around etc.

Sometimes things stick but no big deal I take a razor and scrape the crud off. Put a little oil in and if needed re oil.
    hope a photo is ok in your post
    [​IMG] [/IMG]

4. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of course photos are okay! I'm going to have to try the razor blade cleaning. I usually use a fork to scrape off the bits, but a razor sounds so much better.

I also put oil in it and heated it until smoking, but I think I need to do it a few more times.

I really want it to be as good as or better than the CI, but right now, the CI is winning the seasoning competition.

5. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Try using Crisco works great. It took me about 4 months before I was converted. I cooked everything I could in it to learn it's ways. One thing that I noticed is it seems to need a higher cooking temp to get in the cooking zone compared to CI.
    This post prompted me to cook up a delicious omelette.
    Fun Stuff!

6. Timothy

Timothy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Flax seed oil (aka. raw linseed oil) will very quickly build up a seasoning coat on iron. Wipe on a thin layer on a warm pan and then cook it until it is smoking. You can use it when you cook food too if you don't find the taste objectionable. Obviously only use food grade oil for this- not "boiled linseed" which contains poisonous metal compounds...

7. SocomII

SocomII Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I try to not scrape or scratch my cast iron with anything metal. If food is a little stuck, I put some water in the skillet and put it back on the heat; the stuck food will loosen easily. Then I use a stiff bristled brush ( I like one made of sisal fiber or broom straw) to finish the clean-up. I use only wooden spoons and spatulas for stirring and serving, too.

10. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love cast iron cookware, but have been looking at getting a small paella pan which is commonly found in carbon steel.

11. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hear you and understand but the carbon steel is different you don't have to baby your seasoning like cast. I use and abuse mine and dont ever worry about the coating.
    I like using all metal utensils with cast or carbon steel, that is why I like them compared to non stick pans.
    I have a wagner 1891 that i have owned for years even before the internet. No one told me not to cook spagetti sauce in it and leave it in the fridge for a week or chili. It was my bachelor pan and is still going strong after several girlfriends and being left outside for days improperly seasoned. You can't kill a cast iron pan.

12. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    You may actualy find a metal spatuala more useful using the Carbon Steel Pans as you can use it as the scraper when your finished cooking. I agree you definately don't baby it like the Cast Iron Pans but as for nonstick the Cast Iron wins with my experience. Heavy or not I have two that will never leave my kitchen as well as a cast iron gridle whic is awesome when doing a lot of pancakes for big breakfasts for the whole family. I have a Ten inch for car camping and I found a small 6 inch a few years back at a tagsale that is awesome for just one. But if I'm out hiking I'm not oposed to using a nice flat rock next to the campfire you would not believe how well that works, chicken is delicious cooked this way only thing is you have to camp else where unless you want un expected visitors in the night.

13. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Someone say pancakes
    [​IMG] [/IMG]
    [​IMG] [/IMG]
    [​IMG] [/IMG]

14. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've actually been coating both skillets with lard, but maybe I should switch to using crisco. I have some shortening available too....hmm....

15. briarbrow

briarbrow Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    i think they're different animals. CS are better for high heat cooking like in a wok . CI better for medium and low heat.

16. Zuriss

Zuriss Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I am with TheProfessor on the sisal fiber brush. If I cook anything that has bits left behind, I just dump a little water in the still CI pan give it a nice brushing and dump the crud out. I use mine every single day for sausage and egg omelets in the morning and cornbread at night.

17. oldbow

oldbow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got this from my son " Crisco was developed during WW II as gun grease"

18. Blueraja

Blueraja Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been using the carbon skillet more often, and still wipe it down with oil before and after use. It is getting better, and pre-oiling seems to be helping out a ton.

I also switched to using a plastic scraper Dawn makes.

All in all, a great investment.