Long bow and 30" draw

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Bushknife, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Bushknife

Bushknife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have messed around with modern compounds, but I can't bring myself to own another one. The looks, the accessories, the adjustments... all a turn off anymore, and there is no satisfaction to shooting one. I would like a bow, if not for hunting, then just stump shooting and hay bails. Since compounds are out, then it leaves recurves and longbows.

I had a Martin recurve very briefly. 50# at 28" draw. I was never comfortable. With the short draw length, I could never get a comfortable anchor point. Overdrawing, the bow stacked TERRIBLY, so I was probably pulling #60+ for no benefit. I returned it, and haven't had a bow since.

I would really like a long bow set up for me. 30" draw, 40#-50#. Figure $200+ or -, for a well made, traditional long bow.

Any suggestions?

2. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    watching, I am in the same boat. I am looking hard at a samick sage but don't know how hard it stacks up.

3. HoosierArcher

HoosierArcher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Any longbow 64" long or longer should work for a 30" draw. In fact any bow made well that isn't a selfbow made for a 28" draw should handle a 30" draw with not more the 4 pounds added for inch of extra draw and mosr will be 3 pounds or less.

4. SIXFOOTER

SIXFOOTER Guide

Blog Posts:
    Goos Post

5. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any manufactured bow is going to stack a certain amount. Longbows are certainly more forgiving than recurves in this regard but they'll still stack. Unless you are willing to spring for a custom bow that is tillered to your drawlength or make your own, accept that a little bit of stack is inevitable. All that said, get the longest longbow you can to minimize stack. 64 inch or longer.

Ken

Ps I draw 29.5 and I make my own bows

6. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 longbows. one is 62 inches the other is 64 inches. My draw length is 28. The 64 inch is a dream to shoot, the 62 not so much.

7. Bushknife

Bushknife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will look into the longer bows. Any stick bow makers that offer reasonably priced long long bows?

8. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. briarbrow

briarbrow Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    where, and how do you anchor? For some reason people think that AP is some kind of genetically introduced certainty. AP should play the role of servant rather than master

10. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey bushknife, I just realized you're in NE Ohio. I'm living in Erie PA so if you're right handed and want to try out either my Tradtech Titan longbow or my home made lomgbow, just pm me and we can see about setting up a get together at an archery range. Both of the bows are around 45# @ 29.5 in and I have plenty of matched arrows.

Ken

11. RM_Rambler

RM_Rambler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As others have said, any quality bow will work for your draw length. I believe that all (or most) bow makers use the 28" mark as a way to standardize the measurements. Having a 31" draw I've only ever once run into a bow I couldn't full draw, and it was designed for short draws.

If you want to stick to the 50# mark at your draw distance, I'd look for a 46# or 48#. The stacking after the 28" mark will fill in the gap, but every bow is different so mileage may very.

12. Bushknife

Bushknife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I anchor with my right index finger in the corner of my mouth.

I would rather my equipment fit and feel good to me, than to try and fit into my equipment.

13. Bushknife

Bushknife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I may take you up on that.

14. statikpunk

statikpunk Guide

Blog Posts:
    you should check the traditional archery forums, they all have classifieds and trade bows left and right, thats about the only way your gonna stick to your budget, your options are pretty limited in the 200 buck range even an off the shelf bear bow starts at closer to 300. if you can bump that up to 300 there is quite a few bow makers that can get one in at that range, check out "bama bows" they come highly recomended, and so does "mad dog bows" and both make custom bows in a 300 dollar price range. which is a good deal, heck even getting a bingham projects bow kit and doing it yourself will run you around 300.
    if your dead set on 200, I would keep an eye out at pawn shops, I have often bought good old bear recurves for less than a hundred bucks, because they often sit around the shops for some time and you can wheel and deal with them. as a mater of fact I just picked up a good old bear kodiak magnum from my local pawn shop, and all I did was trade some junk from around the house for it.
    and finally you could always try building your own bow, materials can be free and tools are minimal, it may not come out being a screamer but for sure you will enjoy it :) cheers

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  15. nothinghead

nothinghead Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Rudder bow. Haven't used them, but I hear good things.

16. Wyndigo

Wyndigo Guide

Blog Posts:
    have a look at GIBow.com their unfinished bows are reasonably priced and seem to be what you are looking for, I'll be getting one myself for hunting next year :)

17. Garm

Garm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I can add that the GIBows can do a 30 inch draw. I own one and regularly pull it to 30 inches.

18. Wyndigo

Wyndigo Guide

Blog Posts:
    How do you like their bow?

19. Garm

Garm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like it I got a 35# 71" self bow for use in a LARP. It shoots the over sized headed arrows we use pretty accurate and with some good distance. I still need to finish the fine sanding and stain and seal it. I would buy a couple more in heavier pull given a chance. I also got a long bow from Scarborough Faire from a vendor called Kee's Longbows. Same weight and a little longer than the GIBow, it shoots just as well and is already sealed. I got the longer bows to go with the image of a true long bowman. Kee's is very well priced, not sure how heavy a draw weight they do, but my hickory bow was under $70 with a Flemish string.

20. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The only problem I see with that is you may still be trying to hold and anchor it like a compound, they are different.

21. Pappy Frank

Pappy Frank Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I started shooting a bow, the compound had not been invented. Later in life I bought a compound and tried it. I just do not like them. I much prefer the longbow. I am in the information gathering stage of making my own bow soon. After all where is the fun in buying when you can make it?

22. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Middle Rio Grande Valley, NM / Lower Hudson Valley
    Stacking is purely a function of the decreasing string angle as the bow is drawn. The longer the draw, the more obtuse the angle where the string meets the knock, the more stacking.

So, If you want a long draw, get a longer bow and you will experience less stacking. If you have a 30" draw, you will want a bow at least 68"ntn if not more, in my opinion. Recurves will stack less for a shorter bow so you can go a couple inches shorter.

23. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    string angle has nothing to do with stacking. Stacking happens because the wood (whatever the bow is made from) is only tillered to bend so far, pass that limit and it will start to stack.

24. GoodOlBoy

GoodOlBoy Guest

Blog Posts:
  25. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    KP Archery sells some very affordable longbows. http://stores.ebay.com/KP-Archery?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
    I current shoot solid fiberglass longbows but these KP bows are affordable enough that I may have to try one. I have a 31" draw and adjust my drawpoint to my bow.

26. GrabtheCookie

GrabtheCookie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a 32" draw and finding a bow that fits me comfortably is hard to find, my current is a custom made 72" long bow. Any true long bow should be comfortable enough.

27. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    try to find a dan quillan bamboo longhunter by far the best shooting bow i have points great and truly hits were you look or look into a used bear montana they are very nice bows for the money

28. StickE

StickE Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Stack and geometry are directly related

I hate to disagree but string angle has everything to do with stack. Tillering is process of removing wood for a consistant and uniform bend. The bow will continue to draw smoothly past your desired tiller point, but simply increase the necessary force to pull another inch. The stack occurs because the angle becomes to obtuse. I have made many selfbows and am very familiar with tillering and stacking.

I am sensitive to stacking bows, as I am 6'6" with a 31" draw, so making a short bow that shoots comfortably for me can be a challenge. I typically stay with a 62-64" osage flat bow design.

29. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For that price and length is keep an eye open on the forums for a Bear Montana. Quite a simple but very effective longbow. Lots of vids on YouTube for it.

Live from the stand...

30. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of really good longbows that will shoot well at your draw length, but finding one at your price point might be tough. Good luck and let us know what you find!

31. BigDaddyHoss

BigDaddyHoss Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have a 31" draw and I love to shoot my Bear Montana longbow. It is a 55# and release clean and smooth. If you shop hard you can find them in the $200ish range. They are pretty tried and true. Happy day

32. deathmetalbowyer

deathmetalbowyer Guest

Blog Posts:
    I have to add somthing. Were all of you shooting compound bows at one time. Cause your anchor point for a compound bow has your shoulders further apart than with a longbow. Besides the fact that with a longbow you have to kant the bow at an angle for archers paradox to happen or at least have a huge shelf. Try seeing if you can shorten your draw length. With a compound bow your arm is completly extended, allowing the straight line from release to arrow shelf. With a longbow, alot of people anchor on the side of their mouth kant the bow over about 30 degrees. Just my input.

33. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if you want your longbow to be 50 pounds at 30 inches, for exemple, find one that is 45 at 28 inches at a comfortable length for your draw and height. i had a martin longbow at 60 pounds for 28 inches. my draw was right at 30 inches (i am 6-1 but with long arms and a pretty wide back) with a corner-of-the-mouth kiss. the bow length is 68 inches, iirc. my youngest son has it now. he may want to sell it. are you sure your recurve draw length is the same as your long bow draw length? my recurve draw length for a 50-pound bear was an inch longer with a more erect stance, and deeper fistmele ...