Making a Gun soft case from a wool blanket??

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Slips73, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey I have one of the Isreali wool blankets that is too small and was thinking that I need a soft case for my .22 rifle while backpacking. Do you think it would work to use the wool blanket for this? It is thin but should offer padding, just wondering how I will go around doing it.

2. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Should be big enough to double or even triple it up, fold and sew or lace it up.....made one for a Lancaster county Flintlock, w/42' barrel....too long for regular cases.

3. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was just worried about it like stretching or fraying. Any tips?

4. Driftingrz

Driftingrz Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ive seen some selfmade ones on the muzzleloadingforum if you poke around. I'd link you but im in my phone

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fold it into two or three layers, for the padding effect, and sew that to a regular fabric backing. if you left a little hanging over the edge (like a hardcover book's cover is slightly larger than the pages), that would provide the room for a zipper to be sewn to it as well.

6. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    If it is mainly going to be a gunsock, would I need to back it?

7. 16ga

16ga Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cool idea, please post pics when it's done!

8. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you are worried about fraying, you could always try to felt the wool blanket.
    Wash with Woolite on a normal setting in the washer and Dry on Medium. It will not fray, though it might shrink so much it wouldn't even be big enough for a gun sock.

9. cadyak

cadyak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    go for it

Ill bet thatwill work real well. I made one for a longbow out of a wool blanket I got from Greece. I used a cotton sheet as a liner and the bow just slides in and out very easily and it gives it a little more padding. A folder over tie/closure works well for the end. Its got to be at least 10 yrs old and its still holding up pretty well (i know the sewing is ugly but it works)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    no, probably not... when i saw "guncase", i was thinking "long zippered bag". If you're worried about fraying edges, hem them, use a serger on the edge, or do your own serging by using a wide zigzag stitch that just comes to the very edge of the blanket.

11. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok thanks, Yah I should probably change the title. Mainly it'd just be strapped to my pack in it, and while I am sleeping so it doesn't get scraped up. So just needs to be protective and enough padding to keep it safe. Wondering though about water, think it might rust?

12. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I made another one a couple weeks ago. I used a strip of a Pendleton blanket. The crafters cut them up to make pillows and handbags and there are often long, skinny leftover strips for sale reasonably cheap on eBay. I guess they can't think of much to do with them, but we certainly can. :)

I lined it with a sheep-y piece of acrylic upholstery fabric for more padding that I got out of the bargain bin at Hancock Fabrics for $3.00. You could also use more blanket fabric, but I didn't have enough and kind of liked the look of the cuff folded over at the back end. You could even toss in a layer of coated nylon or vinyl between them if you wanted it waterproof.

012a.jpg

016a.jpg

The others I've built used 31 oz. coat wool (like Melton, only heavier, about blanket weight) on the inside and then suede-like upholstery fabric from the bargain bin on the outside. The outer shell then got sprayed well with 303 Fabric Guard and they are essentially rain-proof. You can either make them straight and just let them bend, like the blanket bag, or piece them together to fit the shape of the gun better like the others, depending on how much fabric you have to work with and how much energy you have.

008a.jpg

I overlock the two layers together, machine stitch them together with the seam allowance on the inside and haven't found anything I like better on the back end for closing them than a cord or thong wrapped around the end and tied - but there are endless other possibilities that would work just fine. They could also be sewn using yarn and a blanket stitch by hand (like a capote) or various types of stitching and lacing.

13. Slips73

Slips73 Guide

Blog Posts:
    WOW those are cool