Mercator "Cat Knife" Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Avair, May 26, 2011.

1. Avair

Avair Scout

Blog Posts:
    Saw some talk of this knife in another thread, Irony being what it is I just picked one up a few days ago. Ebay is a great thing. I made a short video. I am no knife reviewer but I thought I would give you all a look at this knife. I really like it, Carbon steel, sprear point, SOLID lock, great knife.

YouTube - ‪Mercator carbon steel folding knife review‬‏

sorry about the box thing again i forgot to turn the ipod sideways again....lol

if you want one this is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCATOR-K55K-B...813?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item35b248bfbd

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. goosefacer

goosefacer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these too. Great little blade but the handle is too thin IMO - I'll stick with my Buck 342 for EDC.

3. Wizard9

Wizard9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Owned one of these about 15 years ago. Bought it from Atlanta Cutlery. Lost it and have yet to replace it. A pretty good performer for a small amount of money. Come to think of it, I sure miss that knife!

4. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Scout

Blog Posts:
    The mercator is one of my favorites. I had one many years ago but it was a stainless steel blade and I could not put a decent edge. The carbon steel one easily takes a razor's edge. I carry mine quite a bit and it disappears in the back pocket. Thanks for the review. This knife deserves some positive press.

5. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no idea how it "SHOULD" be pronounced.

However, I have always heard the famous mapmaker Mercator pronounced

mur KAY tur

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice knife, but I'm not sure I would like the thinness of it. Looks like it would hurt your hand to do some serious work with it. I bought two carbon steel folding knives when I was looking for a folder. A lock blade wasn't high on my list though. I ended up with a Svord Peasant and a Kissing Crane Brown Mule (Sodbuster style). The Svord is my EDC most of the time.

Another carbon steel folder that is a lockback is the the Bear and Son Farmhand.
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...kback+with+Yellow+Delrin®+Handle/BRC337L.html
    Not a bad price either! Bear and Son makes a whole series of different style pocket knives in carbon steel. You might want to check them out.

7. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just seen one of these knives for the first time last night. Gonna pick one of these up, really a cool blade.

8. borumas

borumas Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They are great knives, my dad has used one as his main carry for about 45 years, got him a stainless steel version a few years ago and got a carbon one for myself awhile back. Always like how flat they are, sit in a pocket nicely without digging into your leg in my opinion.

9. jge3

jge3 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My favorite carry knife for a long time. I have trouble keeping it from rusting in hot weather. I picked up a SOG Slim Jim the other day with high hopes. It's a poor copy of the cat knife that's been produced since 1867

10. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Worked doing renovations in a bar back around 85-86.

Cops raided the place one night. The local gentry started ditching things under booths and tables. Baggies of weed, pills, and a most interesting assortment of knives.

I came in a few hours later. The dope was pitched, the knives went home with us, and we both took home 3-4. Got a Mercator Cat knife and a good G-96 copy of a Puma Game Warden.

The Mercator was the best knife ever for tucking in a back pocket in with a wallet. Took a fine edge, and easily. Lost it a few years ago.

11. MarcoMontana

MarcoMontana Scout

Blog Posts:
    I want one of these...

12. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For who is reading this thread. I've been carrying one for about 2 weeks now. It is for sure a darn cool knife, has a great feel to it. If anyone is on the fence about getting one, and you think you'll like it, you probably will.

13. 268bull

268bull Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Mercator K-55 ( cat knife ) was standard issue to the common German conscript soldier during WW2. Their intrduction, for the most part, to the U.S., were from GI's returning from the war. I own a K-55 and a shorter version of the knife ( 4 inches folded ). The blade has some of the finest carbon steel you will find. Germany was known for it's " soft " steel compared to the American market. While it's true, the handle is obviously thin, the design spot on, and overall inexpensive to manufacture. I love mine, as it takes a wonderful edge and locks open, strong. In fact, I believe I'll put the 4 inch model in my elk pack this year!

14. mneedham

mneedham Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had one of these when I was a kid, I wore the the paint off that thing I it carried so long. I'm not sure whatever happened to it, but they are fine blades IMHO....

15. 268bull

268bull Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The smaller version ( 4 inches closed ), I purchased at an estate sale. It had originally come from a net maker on the British Columbian coastal area. The spear point blade matches up well ! Bull