Middle Tennessee Trails?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by j_beal, Aug 25, 2012.

1. j_beal

j_beal Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone know of any good hiking trails in the Southern Middle Tennessee area. I know of a few within a reasonable driving distance but I'm always looking for more.

Trails I know of in the area are:
    Several on the Natchez Trace Pkwy
    David Crockett State Park
    Fall Creek Falls State Park
    Mouse Tail Landing State Park

I am beyond ready to get back in the woods but those darn ticks are holding me back.

2. Piddler

Piddler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I live in Lawrence County, TN a couple of miles from the Natchez Trace and where David Crocket State Park is located and there are a few other lesser known areas where you can at least do some day hiking. Laurel Hill Wildlife Management Area in Lawrence County has several miles of horse back riding trails that you can hike also and there are other similar areas in adjoining counties just don't carry a fiream unless you have the requried hunting licenses.

Also there are thousands of acres belonging to paper companies, that have been leased to hunting clubs and if you can find the right people to talk with and they unerstand that are interested in hiking only during the off season, you may get lucky find some really remote areas for hiking, be careful as some of these areas do have "wild" hogs which won't hesitate to say hello.

3. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  4. RoundBear

RoundBear Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Check out the Fiery Gizzard trail, Savage gulf and Stone door. All part of South Cumberland State park.

5. Arcadia

Arcadia Scout

Blog Posts:
    BushClass Basic-13/13 E-5/5 O-1/5 On the Fringe..
    I'm in Wayne county and only a few miles from the Trace too. Thanks for the info. Will have to check a few of these places out. Does anyone in Middle TN get together?

6. macopeland21

macopeland21 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Im from Murfreesboro. I'll be heading out to Virgin Falls next Sunday morning with some friends. It is south of Sparta, north of McMinville. It's around 4 miles in, moderate descent/ascent going in and out, right on the river. Lots of space, so you can get away from any neighbors you may have. a big second on savage gulf and stone door areas.

7. j_beal

j_beal Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Arcadia, there is one small out and back trail just north of Summertown on Hwy 43. It is called Rattlesnake Falls or Stillhouse Falls depending on who you talk to. It's a shirt trail but there is a nice waterfall at the end if it. Watch your step though. Its steep in a couple of places. Good for an afternoon hike.

As far as a get together - I don't know. Haven't been here long myself.

8. Arcadia

Arcadia Scout

Blog Posts:
    BushClass Basic-13/13 E-5/5 O-1/5 On the Fringe..
    I know of the place. Just before the Workman Bridge. It'll be on my list for this fall. Chiggers are still too bad for me. Can't wait cool weather. Where are you at j_beal?
    Pat

9. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Benton Mackaye trail runs from Ga up into TN. As do many of the trails in the Chattahoochee Nat. Forest. I am always on the Georgia side, but actually drive through TN to get to some of the trailheads. There are miles and miles of trails on the GA sidd of the forest, I assume the same on the TN side.

10. dbo

dbo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is a hiking group in Nashville (I'm not a member). I think they mostly do day hikes, but on their site nashvillehiking.com they have a Google map with different trails marked. I'm new to the Nashville area so I haven't hiked a lot of them... but hopefully this helps.

11. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Is the Big South Fork too far from you? I love it there. I drive from Baltimore MD to spent time there.

12. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If any of ya'll want to get together, start a thread in Trips and Expeditions. Folks can figure out when would work for everyone and where to meet. Even if you are new to the forum, feel free to kick off a meet. Day hikes, over nighters, weekend long... what ever you can do. It's worth the effort to get to meet other members. I'll do my best to be there. I've camped with over 100 members now and many of those more than once. Best people on earth here.

13. Bruce_A

Bruce_A Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm from Overton county in middle Tn and you could also check out Standing Stone state park or Dale Hollow lake.

14. j_beal

j_beal Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Chiggers and ticks are horrible this year. I'm down in Westpoint. I've been considering walking the 4 wheeler trails here since The dept of environment and conservation shut most of them down.

15. RideABike

RideABike Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Big Hill Pond is great! My black lab and I hiked there very often when I lived in Moscow (between Memphis and BHP). Not terribly challenging, but it was nothing to do a 10 mile day hike. Do a long hike in to camp, and a shot hike out the next day, or the other way around. Lots of distance options. Trails are not well marked, but get a park map and you can figure it out. The Tuscumbia shelter backcountry camping area was my favorite and always had water. If you want extensive GPS track logs from my hikes at Big Hill Pond, just msg me.

16. Tntracker

Tntracker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite places in southern middle Tennessee is the Walls of Jericho. It is along the TN AL boarder. It is a rugged trail with about a 1000ft decent. Great trail.

17. sligerm80

sligerm80 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you ever get a chance to come up north of Manchester, you can hike several trails in Scotts Gulf. One of my favorite trails is the Virgin Falls trail. It's about 8-10 miles round trip and offers the most beautiful scenery and is rated moderate.
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=8011

18. kyak

kyak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Try alltrails.com app or website for local trails to hike. Thye have over 40,000 trails in the database...

19. kyak

kyak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Big south fork is huge and nice from what I have read....

20. deeder

deeder Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    New to the area, going to South Cumberland State Park in the next two weeks. Looks like a nice area. Anyone been there know of a good section?

21. Bearpaw

Bearpaw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What sort of mileage are you looking for? The Stone Door area offers a great, very scenic 7-mile loop with a 3-mile side trip to Greeter Falls. For more mileage, you can make a great loop out of the Savage Gulf trailhead out to Hobbs Cabin and back a different path.

I can give you some better info with a better idea of what you are looking for.

22. deeder

deeder Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Was looking at the stone door area for now. Mainly scouting out potential overnight spots.

23. Bearpaw

Bearpaw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The only actual campsite in the area is Alum Gap. Huge camp area, plus decent privy. The water source is a small but good stream where the three trails converge just southwest of camp.

24. Toolbag

Toolbag Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Williamson Co

I'm just off the trace but a bit north of most of y'all. I've focused primarily on Big South Fork NRR which is north central TN. I have a friend in Huntsville & we have been planning to do a few nights somewhere "between us" so I appreciate the leads in this thread.