mini alice pack?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by 1stcavmp77, Jun 1, 2009.

1. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    anybody have any experience with the mini alice pack? i'm thinking of getting one for an edc/book bag and adding a few other pouches to it. anybody have one or have seen one? i'm also wondering if it has the same pouch layout as the medium alice pack. any help would be appreciated.

2. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    The only ones Ive seen hands on were at a few gun shows. Most were pretty lame excuses for even chinese junk. (poor stictching, bad snaps ect) They all "looked" exact copies of the med alice, just scaled way down into the day pack size.

A med alice can be snugged up pretty small for a day pack.

3. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Mini alice packs are a cheap rip off, poor quality chineese junk. If you want a smaller bag go with some type of haversack or other quality smaller Real GI issue patrol pack. The CFP 90 has a smaller patrol bag that comes with it and are redibly available

Mac

4. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    that's really disapointing. i really liked the looks of those little packs. since they're pretty cheap do you think they would be worth getting for an edc/book bag or do you think they would just fall apart in pretty short order? i really like the design and could add a couple pouches on one and make the perfect setup for an edc/book bag.

5. ArmoredSheepdog

ArmoredSheepdog Scout

Blog Posts:
  6. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
  7. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I would be intrested in your review. Hopefully the quality has chnged since I've seen them last or they are coming from a different supplier

Mac

8. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    that's exactly the one i was thinking about getting. i didn't realize sportsmansguide had them. and that's the best pic i've seen of one. i would love to see your review with video or lots of pics please.

9. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, it looks like UPS will get it to me Friday, so I will post some photos with a report.

10. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    that would be excellent. ty.

11. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got my Mini Alice Pak in from The Sportsman's Guide. I must say that I am very impressed with this pack. I am a member of The Sportsman's Guide Club, so this pack only cost me $17.97, plus I receive shipping coupons from them all of the time, so I used my $5.00 off shipping coupon when I ordered it. Total cost was $21.46, including shipping from MN to TX. Not bad!

The Sportsman's Guide advertises this pack as:

* Rugged nylon material
    * Flap top with cinch strap
    * 3 front pockets with flap-top cinch
    * Padded, adjustable shoulder straps
    * Main area has a drawstring cinch.
    * Measures 10 1/4 x 4 x 13 1/2"h. overall. Weighs 1 lb., 14 ozs.

So let's start with the first description. It is made from a synthetic material. Supposed to be nylon, so I guess it is. It is made out of a very thick nylon material. Much more rugged than I expected. I stuffed some towels in it to get it to expand (as if packed) for these photos. The top flap uses two cinch straps to fasten it down. These straps are pretty long, so I can imagine shortening them some, after I have packed it for a woods trip.

[​IMG]

The pack cinches close with a drawstring cinch, under the top flap. There is a two inch webbing strap, with grommets, sewed around the top. Don't know what this is for. You could effectively hang a pouch with the old style military web belt hooks, I suppose. (Perhaps someone else might have some knowledge what this webbing strap could be used for.)

[​IMG]

The three front pouches are 7in deep x 4in x 4in. Lots of room. They have a snap strap at the bottom of the pouch, with a cinch at the top. These pouches have a single, grommet drain hole on the bottom, as does the main pack.

[​IMG]

The pack has an inside pocket that is 7in deep x 5in x 9in. It has a cinch strap.

[​IMG]

The shoulder straps can be adjusted for comfort with cinch straps, both at the top and at the bottom.

[​IMG]

I am very happy with this pack. Good construction and much nicer than I thought the inexpensive price would bring. I look forward to giving it a field test.

12. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    GREAT REVIEW MAN!! that is exactly the kind of review i was hoping for. that pack looks just like my medium alice. the webbing that you are talking about above the outside pouches can be used to attach small pouches or other things. on my medium i can put ten of the gi compass pouches on that part. the compass pouches are just the right size to hold an altoids tin and you can put all kinds of little goodies in an altoids tin. are the attachment points on the sides capable of holding a molle sustainment pouch do you think? you have sold me on this pack. i'm thinking of getting one for a book bag for college and adding some more pouches to it to perfect it's carrying and organization capabilities. this would allow me to edc a poncho and a lot of other little "daily neccesities" at college. also does the main flap have a little pouch built into it?

i wouldn't shorten the main cinch straps as that could cut down on your carrying capability and those straps can be used to attach things on the outside of the pack ie a jacket or tarp shelter or sleeping bag.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  13. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey 1stcavmp77,

Thanks for the info. It's a great idea to use the compass pouches on the 2 inch webbing. That would add lots of small containers to the pack.

Yes, the flap does have an inside pocket in it. I would never have thought of looking if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks. It has a Velcro closure.

And I did forget to mention that there are some MOLLE attachment straps on the sides and the bottom.

14. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
  15. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    Well gents, ya'll have got me considering one of these now. Things must have improved in the mini All Purpose Individual Carrying System AKA A.L.I.C.E. pack from when I looked and had them last. Nice review buddy. You're right the Webbing and grommets on the top are to be used for adding other gear. If any of you are old enough or have seen the older type of attachments that used a metal pin on style thats what the gromets are for similar to the old style pistol belts. The pocket in the Top Flap was used for a map case. I also Echo not to cut the straps. They are deliberatly kept long on a true ALICE pack for adding more headroom to the pack by adding such things as a folded poncho, sleeping pads etc to the top of the pack. I wouldn't cut them. The webbing on the side of an ALICE pack is not MOLLE. A MOLLE strap is a series of "Daisy Chained" straping that has an opening that runs on the verticle. The webbing on the side of the ALICE pack is wider and has an opening that runs on the horizontal. This was used for securing/lashing longer sized items to the side of the pack such as poles, skis etc. (This is all info based off the True Med and Larger alice Packs) You will also notice on your mini ALICE Pack that there are two quick release Mech. on the pack straps. By Pulling these up, the straps disengage and allow you to get out of the pack quickly. I didnt see if you have them on the mini but on the True Med and Large ALICE Pack there is even an emergency release mech to completely seperate the pack straps to get out of them even quicker.

Thanx Mac

16. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Sgt. Mac.

Yes, if you look at the last photo, you will see the quick release clamps on the bottom of the shoulder straps.

17. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    one question - how is the stitching? i've read a lot posts on other forums about the stitching being bad and the seams splitting. i would appreciate it if you could let us know how it holds up after a couple weeks.

18. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    just ordered my mini-alice a couple days ago and it shipped yesterday. can't wait to get it and put it through it's paces. also have a maxpedition typhoon coming that i only have to pay shipping on and it's coming with a free m1 pouch too. woohoo.

19. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    Hey you two give us a review on them Mini ALICE packs ok

20. OhioShemanese

OhioShemanese Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Good review, sold me. I just ordered mine. I have used the Alice Pack for years, just retired after 23 years in the active Army and National Guard. One of the pieces I have kept from my active duty days back in the 80's was the large Alice with frame. Back in the my early days I also used a small, what we called a jungle ruck, from the Vietnam days days made of a lite wieght cotton canvas material, it detieriated to the point that I had a local Ft. Bragg gear manufacturer try and add new straps and snaps to it but they didn't do such a great job at replicating it so I still have it but it was retired about 1990. I hope this one is half as good as my old jungle ruck.

21. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, I had a fun time in the woods, this weekend. Did a two night stay. The Mini Alice pack worked like a charm. Held up quite nicely. Carried everything I needed and some stuff that I didn't need. lol

It is a comfortable pack to hoist around. I did about 9 miles of hiking with it.

I added two compass/first-aid pouches to the top inside band.

[​IMG]

And I added an ammo pouch to the side straps on each side.

[​IMG]

I removed the hand grenade pockets from the ammo pouches 'cause the Texas Parks & Wildlife frowns on backpackers carrying grenades in the woods. :)

22. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    At-a-boy! Glad it worked out well for you. How about some pics of your excursion? Oh by the way did you remove the dividers in the mag pouch or leave em in there? What kind of kit did you put in them as well?

Thanx
    Mac

23. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mac,

I will have to post some photos later. I don't usually take any photos in the woods, anymore, unless I see something interesting that I haven't seen before. lol

The mag pouches didn't have any dividers in them. They are supposed to be M16 mag pouches. At least that is how "The Sportsman's Guide" advertises them. I use the ammo pouches for carrying sound recording equipment, night vision, flashlights/headlamp, and other electronic stuff.

My usual kit is for hammock camping. I also wear a surplus Army belt with two canteens and a couple more ammo pouches for miscellaneous stuff. I also sling a 2 quart military canteen. We are in a real heat wave here in Southeast Texas and are undergoing some pretty good drought conditions. So extra water is a must, 'cause the creeks are dry. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  24. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    OOORah!! Way to go

Mac

25. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    so where in Texas did you go? state park or private land?

26. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Oh man I'm drooling;)
    PMZ

27. Pywacket

Pywacket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I went to an area of the Sam Houston National Forest. It is called "Little Lake Creek Wilderness". It is designated as a wilderness area in the National Forest, hiking trails only. Absolute primitive camping only, also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And don't hang your hammock on them, either. :)

28. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Ha! That's one of those obvious signs for the part-timers.
    Maybe they should have one that says don't eat yellow snow....probably not in Texas though.:D
    Cool stuff, Py.
    Later,
    Iz

29. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    got my maxped typhoon today and am very happy with it so far. holds all my little edc stuff just right so maybe i won't be packing half the house with me anymore lol. and my mini alice should be here this week. i can't wait. woohoo!

30. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Guest

Blog Posts:
    just got my mini alice yesterday evening and i really like the looks of it so far. it's builit exactly like the medium alice with the same features and straps. seems to be good quality and stitching. i haven't loaded it up with anything yet except for stuffing some towels in it to see how it was gonna be when it's stuffed. i plan on using it for a book bag when i go to college in the fall so i don't really have plans to fill it up with anything yet. i may use it when th gf and i go on a car trip to arkansas next month for my clothes and toiletries. we'll see. i want to test it out to see how well it's gonna hold up with a load of books in it. so far i really like it and have stuck my condor organizer pouch on the outside to hold pens and pencils and stuff.