Molle II Assault Pack And Sleeping Bag Carrier?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Roman, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Roman

Roman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,
    I have done a bit of research before deciding on the Molle II Assault Pack. I would like to add onto it two sustainment pouches. In addition to that I would like to sling a sleeping bag container at the bottom. What is your opinion on the modular sleep system carrier? Is it too large for the Assault pack without a frame? Does it slap your body when hiking? Is it just too large and uncomfortable for that particular pack? A coworker has the same bag but with the fanny pack suspended from it. The problem is my sleeping bag. While it is light weight and compacts well enough, it is just a bit bigger in diameter than what will fit in the fanny pack IMO. Is there a Molle pack between the fanny pack and MSS carrier in capacity? Thank you.
    Roman

2. Draven

Draven Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is the currently issued assault pack and ever since I got one slung at me I've had issues with it. Firstly, it's tiny! I thought it would be more useful before I got it, but then again, I'm 6'4" and bigger clothes and boots make a surprising difference. I know dudes who could get boots and acus in the thing, I can't even get close.

I would seriously consider the medium sized rucksack instead if you're worried about weight distribution. It has much more space, which would probably negate the need for sustainment pouches but you could still add them if you wanted. It also has the straps to sling a sleep system, and best of all, it has a very easily removable frame. The frame is similar to, though not as rigid as, the full sized ruck frame, and does have a kidney pad and waist belt of course - without the frame though, it's still a very capable light rucksack. It has too large zippered pouches on the front as well, similar to the assault pack pouch.

I know this ain't quite what you asked for, but thought it may help!

Pete

3. Roman

Roman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Pete. The larger pack will definitely do all I need and then some. I think the Assault pack, for me any way, will work. There is a smaller pack yet, the patrol pack and it is too small. I'm 6' 1" and have a large Jansport backpack if I want to move a lot of gear but not very fast. My idea is to trim the loaded pack down to 35 lbs. If my life's dream ever becomes a reality the bag will carry me a for a few days in the woods before coming into town and then back out again. I've seen the Assault Pack but not with the Mod Sleep Carrier attached to it so that is my question. The fellow was using a fanny pack and in it he had a Bivy bag along with some extra cord. I assume the MSS carrier can be cinched tighter to eliminate the space my sleeping bag won't use up?
    Roman

4. HorseSoldier

HorseSoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me, personally, the issue assault pack has never been a really good solution for carrying even modest amounts of weight, so loading it up with sustainment pouches and a sleeping bag on the bottom would make it unwieldy.

5. Bouncer871

Bouncer871 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can get by with sustainment pouches holding a gi shelter half in each but the MSS carrier is huge for the assault pack and I have yet to find a good way to attach it so it is secure. It really is meant to be mounted to the frame. I have been thinking it might be better mounted to the FLC instead of the pack directly but not sure that's a good idea either.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. HorseSoldier

HorseSoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, there's a reason why the army adopted a medium ruck that is intermediary between the assault pack and the full ruck (and not too far off what a medium ALICE used to carry). I've not tried the assault pack for camping and hiking, but for military use you can pretty quickly overload it past what it is capable of carrying reasonably.

[​IMG]

7. Boroffski

Boroffski Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just put molle mss carrier, straps and waistbelt on my med Alice and frame and it made it a complete different pack. It now fits my 6'3"/220 long torso body. The mss carrier does cinch down to whatever size your bag is. I only have my patrol bag in it now and with it cinched down it's as stable as it gets.

8. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Agree. While I absolutely love the MOLLE II Assault Pack, and think it is one of the best small packs the US military ever developed, it is really just day pack sized. If you start hanging things off of it like sustainment pouches and sleeping bag carriers you will very quickly exceed it's ability to comfortably carry a load.

Like I said, it's a great day pack. If you want to carry more stuff get either a medium ALICE or one of the new MOLLE II Medium Rucksacks w/frame.

9. Roman

Roman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I don't want to get too large on a pack or I'd stay with the Jansport Rockies II I now own.

Changing gears. I saw the new Molle Rucksack sells for the mid to higher $100. The Medium ALICE, much less. What should I ask for before purchasing a medium ALICE? Is there just one type of frame or one preferred for lashing a sleeping bag onto. What about the straps? How do I know if they are the latest in comfort? Is there a preferred maker for these as well? Thanks again for your time and comments. I'm sure the ALICE has been beaten to death buy now on these forums and I'll search for more info here as well.
    Roman

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  10. Boroffski

Boroffski Scout

Blog Posts:
    Search ALICE hellcat. It's a hybrid of Alice pack/frame and molle shoulder straps/waist belt/mss carrier. Some places sell the complete set-up for around $65.

11. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Roman, you are correct - the ALICE pack has been discussed almost to death on this forum. Here's the basics:

1. Medium and large ALICE packs are commonly available on eBay and from surplus stores in both used and new condition. New examples are still easy to find and are very reasonably priced, so my recommendation is to buy new.

2. The ALICE pack normally does not come with shoulder straps. The straps are an additional cost item. The medium ALICE can be used with or without a frame and there are attachment points on the pack for shoulder straps. The large ALICE must be used with a frame - there are no strap attachment points on this pack.

3. The US military developed one style of frame - a tubular aluminum riveted frame. Like the packs themselves these frames are commonly available and very inexpensive. I recommend you purchase new.

4. The frame has attachment points for the ALICE shoulder straps and a kidney/waist belt setup. It is common that the frames are sold with both shoulder straps and kidney belt attached.

5. There were at least three different US military versions of shoulder straps. The biggest difference between the three is that the padded portion of the straps became longer and thicker with each new generation.

6. While the ALICE design is old and somewhat dated (it is essentially a Vietnam war era pack design that was updated a bit and put into production in the 1970s) it is very versatile and easy to modify. It is not the most comfortable pack, but you get a lot of performance for not a lot of money.

If you shop wisely you can pick up a new ALICE pack and frame combo for about $50.

12. Roman

Roman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are the ALICE pack shoulder straps and the frame straps one in the same or two different styles? The one seller I noted on Ebay has his shoulder pads measuring 3x9. Any idea if these are the most recent? Thank you.
    Roman

13. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been using mine for a few days just for a briefcase replacement at work and I can't stand it. It feels horrible with a load and it's surprisingly small. It'll work as a day pack probably but I wouldn't want to add sustainment pouches etc. That much weight would be terrible on this thing. I love my old Alice and frame more than ever now. I just love the way an external frame puts space between the pack and your back. Very nice in Florida! I'm not a fan of this pack. Thankfully it was cheep.

14. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR Guide

Blog Posts:
  15. Roman

Roman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do believe the ALICE will be my goal now, thanks to all of your inputs and critique. The Hellcat looks great and is probably the best of all. Now to shop. I'll start with Tony's as a few of you have had experience there and see how it works out dollar wise. I just went to Tony's site and the Hellcat looks nice. I think the price seems right. $65 for all. Is there anything as an afterthought you might have requested before ordering the set up from him. Thank you.
    Roman

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. southernbayou

southernbayou Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1. This is what I use and love it. I was looking for some straps and a frame in a rush, called a few places, and a guy named Matt at militarygearzone.com took care of me big time. he didn't even know about the mod, but after I told him that's what I was looking to do and wanted to order the straps and frame from him, he ended up putting it all together for me before shipping. Now I'm sure that's not something they usually do, but the point is their customer service was awesome.