Montana Canvas Range Tent

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Prairiewolf, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Has anybody had experience with the Range A Frame Tent available from Cabela's (Made by Montana Canvas)? It is pricy, but looks like a heavy duty all season outfit with stove heat capability. Its obviously not for backpackers - I'm a camp not far from the truck guy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. forester

forester Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those spike tents are nice for a pack in, but if you are near the truck, for a similar price I prefer a wall tent. There is more useable space inside. That one pole style needs to be pretty big, or have short walls on the sides to make a comfortable camp that doesn't have you hunched over all the time.

3. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  4. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a 10x10 range tent from David Ellis. I love it. Did require a bit of seam sealer on two small pin holes from the sewing of the stove hole, withstands torrential downpours now with no leaking whatsoever, and canvas just breaths better.

Live from the stand...

5. WesinND

WesinND Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Gvdocholiday,
    Do you have pictures of your Ellis tent? What do yo think of the lighter weight fabric? I have been looking at them.

Wes

6. Riverwalker

Riverwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. IDSS

IDSS Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the Montana Canvas tent except to say that they have a good reputation.

When I was in the market for a big, comfortable tent, I ended up going with the 12x12 Alaknak from Cabela's.

It's stove-capable and pretty roomy.

[​IMG]

8. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Here is my 12x12, this one was made by Trapline Lodges. Was right at $500 shipped. But, Trapline Lodges customer service sucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't have pictures at the moment. I spent 20nights in the tent this past summer during the month of July. Wish I'd of taken some pictures.

As for the weight, I have the 10oz canvas. Tent, poles and all my gear load easily in my car. I've carted this tent and all my hunting gear for a three night stay a little over a mile fall of 2011 with no issues. Of course for that one I cut poles out there and left them tied up to a tree for future trips.

Here's a little video I found:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Lw4b1-Vlg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Slickheadhunter

Slickheadhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also have a Dave Ellis range tent, mine is the 12x12 model. This will be my 4th season hunting out of It. Dave Ellis is one of the better canvas tent makers out there!

11. Slickheadhunter

Slickheadhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I spend the first two weeks of October in this tent while hunting and also the third week of November I spend camping and hunting in northern Maine. This tent is awesome! I also have a tarp tent made by Dave Ellis that's superb!