Monthly Project - April 2012

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by Zig, Mar 29, 2012.

?

Which project would you like to do?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2012.
  1. Repurpose 3 non-recyclable items

18.2%
  2. Walking stick monopod

15.2%
  3. Fish hook from gathered materials

57.6%
  4. 5 examples of natural cordage

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Since getting the voting started early worked out well for last month, I figured we'd do that again for April.

As stated previously, the first two options are the second and third place ones from last month. The third and fourth ones are new.

Option 1. Repurpose 3 non-recyclable items from your trash. This one is tricky because so many of our usual go to items for DIY stuff are recyclable. This means no tin cans, glass bottles, etc. The one exception is that paper items are fair game.

Option 2. Build a walking stick monopod. You can use any materials you want. The only requirement is that it is capable of having a camera attached to it and that it will hold that camera upright without someone to hold it that way. I think this would be very useful especially after reading that thread about how to improve our YouTube videos.

Option 3. Make a fish hook out of natural gathered materials. You just need to show the hook, you do not need to actually catch a fish with it, but that'd be a cool plus!

Option 4. Submitted by buroak: Find 5 plants in you area that can be used for making cordage. Make a short length with each and show the process that you used.

Happy voting and happy crafting!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just an April-has-officially-started bump. Voting ends on the 5th, so get yours in soon!

3. Dross

Dross Guest

Blog Posts:
    Hey Zig, recently started a new job and a few side projects so things have been hectic so far this year and I've been Persona non-bushcraft lately. Thanks for taking this section back up. I am so in this month!

4. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey, Dross.

Glad to hear you're getting a chance to do some Bushcraft again. It stinks that work is taking up so much of your time, but it's good that you've got it!

5. TCC

TCC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just to clarify, since it looks like the fish hook will win, we're only allowed to use natural found materials, right? So no using a found tin can?

6. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes. Only natural gathered materials are allowed. No tin cans, no jute twine, etc, etc. Only what you can find in your local woods courtesy of Mother Nature.

7. TCC

TCC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. This is my first monthly project. This seems pretty fun!

8. willy2154

willy2154 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for putting these up I like the challange to try and make new stuff.

9. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Alright folks, the fish hook is the winner. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Happy crafting!

10. TCC

TCC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another question, how many pics should I take of this? Should it be a shot for shot tutorial type deal, or just a few pics proving I made it?

11. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anything is fine. You're only required to show that you've done the project, so 1 photo is enough. Some people take it a step further and show full on tutorials, while others make videos.

My suggestion though... If you have a particularly successful project, post your results here, but also post a tutorial in the self-made gear sub-forum. It might even make the "List of tutorials" thread.

12. Wolf_SERE

Wolf_SERE Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im going to get this completed but I might be a little late in the month posting it. I have a lot going on here. My Grandma's cancer came back and the Doctors cant do anything else for her. She has a week or so left give or take. Ill get it done and up when possible. Thanks ya'll.

13. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    These are mine.

These are made from Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera). The cordage is made from the inner bark of Pawpaw (Asimina triloba). By the way, pawpaw makes an excellent cordage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are made from Hercules’ Club (Aralia spinosa).
    I figure these could be used to catch a very wicked fish! They would have to be baited with something big, like a rabbit! haha Not really. But they are impressive just the same I think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost caught this big catfish with the Hercules’ Club while I was taking the pictures!

[​IMG]

14. Wolf_SERE

Wolf_SERE Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

I know its a bit late but here it is. I wasn't able to make up the cordage. I dont know what kind of wood it was but its very abundent around here. Also above it is my bark skinner wedge I made from the same type of wood.

15. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It’s never too late. Good job!

16. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 for the folks who made their own fishing line!

Here's my entry. As per usual, I had trouble finding suitable cordage material in my area, so I had to resort to inner paracord strands. I used a couple thorns from some local bushes and a bit of fatwood as the hook body. I used the fatwood just because it is very strong and will sink.

[​IMG]

Hurry up, everyone and get those entries in! April is almost over!

17. Dross

Dross Guest

Blog Posts:
    Finally had some times to get to the woods so here's my entries.
    (my pictures kinda suck so don't hold it against me. :p )

I found a dead section of briar it was hollow so the first try was just clipping off a piece with two thorns. Done and Done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I took a section and wedged wedged a sharpened stick through it at an angle.

[​IMG]

Last I straight up carved a hook out of sassafras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok guys thanks for looking. I hope we can get this section really hopping again.

18. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a bit disappointed we had so many votes and so few entries this month. I guess it was a busy one all around.

Thanks to everyone who submitted a fish hook! Good luck with next month and happy crafting.

--
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please forgive any typos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.