Monthly Project - December 2012

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by buroak, Nov 21, 2012.

?

Monthly Project for December, 2012

1. Make a Christmas or other holiday wreath.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Make a primitive oil lamp.

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  3. Make a natural brush.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Option 1
    Make a Christmas or other holiday wreath using only materials found in nature. Use such things as bark, seed pods, colorful seeds, feathers, evergreen boughs of any kind just to name a few.

Option 2
    Make a primitive oil lamp. Use any material you like. An example would be to use a shell or clay. Try to use materials found in nature for the wick. The oil you use is up to you.

Option 3
    Make a natural brush of any kind. Use only materials found in nature. An example would be to make a paint brush from a dogwood (Cornus florida) twig. If you chew on the end of a pencil size or smaller dogwood twig, it makes a usable small paint brush.

2. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's my lamp.

I made it using a clam shell, some deer tallow and milkweed fiber for the wick. It was amazing how much light this very small lamp put out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Buroak I tried something similar. This is a clam shell with bacon fat. The wick is a two-strand twist of the dry inner bark of tulip poplar.

It was really exciting to see this work. It was reasonably windy out tonight, and this stayed lit without shelter. I didn't do a long test, just a little more than 15 minutes. I'd love to try carving a lamp from soapstone now. I think there is a stone called steatite that occurs in the mountains west of the piedmont in Virginia and Maryland. Native Americans used it to make bowls before developing pottery in this region.

This is the way it looked to begin with. I just mushed the wick around in the bacon grease while it was pretty congealed.

[​IMG]

Soon after I lit it. From here the flame crept down the wick towards the grease, but stabilized when the flame extended for about 3/4 inches along the wick, touching the edge of the grease.

As the shell warmed from the flame about half the the grease melted. I think all of it would melt if I let this burn longer. I believe the wick was wicking, since the whole exposed wick remained aflame, but really this needs a longer test to be sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MLarson

MLarson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hah, just in time! Made myself an oil lamp from soapstone. I found the burlap bag and the little container at a container store. I figure it should be able to hold plenty of oil to burn a good while. I tried it with mineral oil but it made too much smoke. I'm going to give olive oil a try next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the terrible pictures. They were taken with a cell phone.

5. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that's nice!! Do you carve stone for other things?

6. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I need to make a project like one of these. Funny thing is last night I was cleaning the kitchen, and took a break by making an oil lamp out of what I found tn the kitchen. Not as pretty as those shells though.

7. MLarson

MLarson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I haven't yet but I've thought about it. I was thinking of doing some beads of some kind but I haven't gotten around to it yet.