Monthly Project - July 2012

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by Zig, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    For the month of July, I wanted to try out something a little bit different than our normal "vote on a project" business. Instead of narrowing down the options to 4 choices, I want to try an open ended project/task. If it doesn't go over well, this will only happen the one time.

Here's the rules:

1) You can choose either a primitive, modern, or home approach. Indicate which approach you are taking in your entry. You can make multiple entries. You can also mix approaches. Just do something cool with it!

Primitive approach - You may only use your knife and a firelighting tool.
    Modern approach - You can use whatever tools you have in a typical backwoods (no electricity or car) load out.
    Home approach - You may use anything you have available at home.

2) Show the project/challenge/task in its entirety. A picture taken of each major step would be perfect.

3) Please provide some feedback on whether or not you like this format.

Here's the project for this month: Provide food for in-camp consumption..

Just to clarify... A "primitive approach" must be food foraged using only primitive tools. You will need to make these tools yourself (excluding the knife and fire apparatus). A "modern approach" must be foraged food as well, but you may use any tools/ingredients in your typical day-hike/backpacking load out. A "home approach" may use anything available in society, but must packable enough to be eaten in the woods.

I wanted to try out this new format because I think it's a bit less restrictive than our usual. It narrows our focus a bit at the beginning (one task) but also gives us freedom in how to do it. There are thousands of ways to complete this task, and the best part is that it can speak to all different types of bushcrafters. It also eliminates the disappointment of losing a vote and getting forced to do a project you don't like. I hope it goes over well.

Happy crafting everyone!

EDIT: Just so everyone knows, I'm not trying to take away your voice by eliminating the vote this month. It might make sense to incorporate the vote back into this format next month. This is just a test run and I figured it'd be best to keep it simple the first time around.
  2. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here's my entry for the month. I didn't stay on top of the picture documentation, but there were only 3 steps and they are easy to explain.

1) Cook the food.
    2) Put it in a dehydrator for 24 hours.
    3) Package it with 1/2 cup of instant rice.

In this case I did "chicken jambalaya" using ground chicken because it dehydrates and rehydrates more easily than chunks of chicken. When I have a better dehydrator I'll give REAL jambalaya a try.

It rehydrates pretty well and while it's not as spicy as it was before dehydration, it's definitely better than your typical MRE or Freeze Dried meal.

Next up is going to be Shepherd's Pie with rice in place of mashed.

[​IMG]
  3. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like no one was really interested this month.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.