Monthly Project - June 2012

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by Zig, May 31, 2012.

?

Which project?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2012.
  1. Repurpose 3 non-recyclable items OR 3 tin can projects

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Bullroarer

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Primitive weapon

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 3 traps/snares with only a knife and "boot lace"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    June starts tomorrow, so the time has come for another vote!

Seems like the "Repurpose 3 non-recyclable items" project is going to ride along as second or third place forever at this point. I'll run it one more time with an alternate project. If it doesn't go this time, I'm going to put it back on the bottom of "the list" for later.

Option 1. Repurpose 3 non-recyclable items from your trash. This one is tricky because so many of our usual go to items for DIY stuff are recyclable. This means no tin cans, glass bottles, etc. The one exception is that paper items are fair game.

Option 1. Alternate. Submitted by buroak. Make 3 items from recyclable tin cans. Soda cans, soup cans, tuna cans. It all fair game.

Option 2. Make a bullroarer from gathered materials. You may use artificial cordage.

Option 3. Submitted by buroak. Make a primitive weapon and explain/show its usage. Just don't go hurting someone :46:. Some examples: throwing sticks, atlatls, homemade bows, homemade arrows, slingshots, slings for throwing rocks etc, blow guns, boomerangs, bolos, spears and simple clubs.

Option 4. Build 3 traps/snares using only your belt knife and a short length of cordage. For the sake of clarity, let's just say "short" means no more than the length of a boot lace or about 3-5 feet. You may choose not to use the cordage, or only use the cordage.

2. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys. Just gotta add an attachment that I'm not voting this month. Chances are I won't be able to participate because of an array of trips and video editing to do plus "real-life" work. I'll try to squeeze it in though!

3. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Option 1 it is!

Not may voters this month, but because of the project, I think we'll have tons of participants.

Good luck and happy crafting!

4. ModernNessmuk

ModernNessmuk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Time to start digging through the garbage. So far this is harder then one would think. I can't wait to see what others come up with.

5. Stain

Stain Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have never posted to the monthly challenge before so I am assuming I just put them here on this thread.

I cheated slightly and used an aluminum tea can for the first 2 instead of steel cans. These are also rough made like you would do in the bush on the fly, not finished products per se'.

#1 is something I have wanted to try since seeing Looker's bush made olive oil betty lamp. Historically, solid fat would have been more appropriate as well as available in the bush from an animal carcass. I decided on the aluminum pop can because it is something likely to find in the bush (sad to say) and it has a nice, rounded dish in the bottom as well as a better conductor of heat. Cut the bottom off the can leaving a long strip down each side. Invert the can so the dimple forms the dish of the lamp and bend the tabs over top to make a bail for hanging. Cut a couple slits to lock the bail strips together to hang it up. While I have not done this yet with steel to compare, my instinct is that since the aluminum conducts heat better so it should work better but it may be a moot point. Put a small dimple in the edge to make a spout. A piece of cotton butcher twine looped a couple times in the bottom of the dish and dropped over the spout made the wick. The dish was then filled with lard (solid fat as opposed to liquid oil). A match was held under the can to heat the lard to start it melting to make it liquid and it soaked up the wick and the wick was then lit. It worked pretty well and the rest of the lard was quickly melted by heat transferring from the burning wick. I consider this one a success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 used scraps from the can leftover from #1. It is not very grandiose, but we used to do this when I was kid. Cut a small oval of aluminum can and fold it around a fish hook as shown. Crimp it down with a pair of pliers and you have a panfish spoon. It is real light and casts like a wet fly, so you have to use fly fishing techniques or at least attach a bobber and be where you can watch is sink as it is hard to feel the strike, but it works well. It slowly flutters down and we caught scads of sunnies on this kind of rig in the ponds. Usually smaller ones as they would hit it before it got down to where the bigger fish were. Depending on where on the can you cut, you can get different colors. On this example, I cut where I could get gold on one side and white on the other. I know it is small, but it is effective and it works.

[​IMG]

#3 could have used another pop can for this, but found a raviolli can in the trash. Could not figure out a way to get good photos without overloading the thread, so if you need more detail just ask. If you have ever bowfished with the old style rigs then you will understand it. This has a rounded bottom edge on the can which is important. Punched 2 holes near the top rim and lashed it onto my bush made, super duper survival bow (ok, it was a couple sticks from the yard, but it shows the concept). We used to use the old, one piece fiberglass bows. Voila!, instant bowfishing reel. Then used a scrap from the earlier pop can (or use the raviolli can lid) to make a harpoon barb for the arrow tip which was a piece of river cane. Also used another piece of the pop can to act as a line keeper and lashed it to the raviolli can and it simply bends down over the line to hold in place until you are ready to fire. Again, we used to do this when I was kid to hunt carp in the ditch. It works better if you have a larger can that you can mount to shoot through the middle of, but the bigger cans all had the rims on them back in the day so we used pop cans and then graduated to actual reels, but for frogging around in the county ditch, a low cost rig had its advantages.

[​IMG]

6. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very good ideas.

7. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love that fly. I'm going to try "tying" one soon.

8. dracothered

dracothered Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cool ideas...

9. Stain

Stain Scout

Blog Posts:
    The milk jug fletching is a good idea. I have to make a bunch of atlatls for a demonstration and feathers are surprisingly hard to come by on short notice. I have been using ductape for fletching and it works great, but looks like a bit cheesy. Going to have to try it with plastic vanes so it at least looks like a real fletch.

10. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I made three different types of tin can lamps.

For the first one, I used a cat food can. I made a top for it out of aluminum foil and put a hole in the middle of the foil. Then I made a wick out of cedar bark. I used lamp oil for the fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the second can lamp. I cut the can open and used a candle inside.

[​IMG]

My third lamp didn’t work the way I planned it. I filled the can with water and froze it so I could punch holes in it without distorting the can. I made a template out of paper with a design that I wanted to transfer to the can. I tried to punch holes in the can with a hammer and nail at each point on the template. However, as soon as I started punching the holes, frost on the can begin to melt and the paper went to mush! What I ended up with is a tin can lamp that looks like it was shot full of holes with a 22 rifle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. buroak

buroak Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very good ideas.

12. Kybottoms

Kybottoms Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My "recycled" item- polespear

Since is my first "real" post on here beside intros, Hello everyone.

I saw this thread yesterday night and came up with this today.

First, this is my inspiration:
    [​IMG]
    Otherwords the pile o' bikes left by the previous renters here.
    This is most of what I used. The "axle bolt" from a bicycle wheel is up by the rubber liner. The cane was from another house who let their trimmings just wander into the road.
    [​IMG]
    The shipping tube is the container my Gobspark fire steel came in last week :4:
    [​IMG]
    The next three are 3 bicycle spokes, rubber bicycle wheel liner(the thing that protects the innertube from the spokes), and the shape I bent the spokes into.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now this is the tip. I drilled three 1/16 sized holes with a fiskars manual drill(I love that little thing), and wedged in the spokes one at a times trying to lock them together, so to speak. Then I drilled through the wall(the part that seperates the chambers) in the cane and drove the axle bolt in and sawed of the end. Then, I filed it to a point and wrapped the spokes(with twigs seperating them from the cane) with half-ish of the rubber liner.
    [​IMG]
    This is the shipping tube. I cut a slit in it and ran the rubber liner through it and the axle bolt cut-off piece and put a couple large knots on the end. I then wrapped and knotted the other end around the cane.
    [​IMG]
    I did take some videos, but I'm not for sure how to post them on here yet. :6:
    It does work well overall, just a little slower than optimal. I think it'd still get a fish tho. If I didn't want the innertube for ranger bands then I would have used it instead of the liner, and I believe that'd make it a bit more of a speedier set up.

Sorry for the longwinded post everyone...

13. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Interesting! Videos can be posted to YouTube and then embedded here. I don't think the Administrators would very much like using all their server space up on videos!

14. Kybottoms

Kybottoms Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Alright I got a video up on here. Sorry about the shakiness, still trying to get used to using the camera. I was shooting into an old fence section covered with vines and it did mange to dig into the wood a little.
    Monthly Challenge June 2012 - YouTube

15. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sweet! It's cool to see an improvised tool like that in action!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.