Mora sheath modification

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by gila_dog, Mar 23, 2012.

1. gila_dog

gila_dog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Mora 840G knife from Bushcraft Outfitters, and really love the knife. But the plastic sheath leaves a bit to be desired. For one thing the knife can fall out of it pretty easily. And the sheath can be knocked off your belt. I wanted to fix both those problems, but being too lazy to make a real leather sheath, I decided to see what I could do with the plastic sheath.

I drilled 4 holes in the sheath and ran some paracord thru them, added a plastic bead that I had, and voila! here it is. It can be carried as a "dangler" using the paracord loop, or it can still be clipped onto a belt if I want. When it's dangling, I loosen the bead with my right hand, reach around behind myself and hold the sheath with my left hand, and remove the knife with my right hand. Now I won't lose my excellent knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice easy functional mod! Great job! I agree the sheath leaves a lot to be desired and like you my biggest issue was how easily the knive can fall out!

3. PaulTX

PaulTX Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've got a paracord dangler setup too but without the retention. I like your idea and will modify mine. Thanks!

4. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great idea! Do you have any ideas on how to attach a LMF Scout firesteel to the 840 sheath as well? I have a BIC lighter attached with a Ranger band right now, but I think a mod to attach the LMF would be even better.

5. jontok

jontok Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice mod. :)

6. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    pretty smart mod ty for sharing, I recently got one and I've just been neck knifing it...gonna try this

7. Natures_Adventure

Natures_Adventure Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice mod. I will steal and try myself. Thanks for the post.

8. KYLongknife

KYLongknife Scout

Blog Posts:
    The best compliment I can give you is I'm gonna steal your idea. I love a good Mora sheath mod.:4:

9. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Slick idea have to do this to both my Moras

10. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:

I think a shallow groove filed into the edge of the sheath so you can epoxy a brass tube to hold the fire steel could work. Heating the tube and melting it to the sheath could work, too.
    A ranger band would give you extra retention and a lanyard would hold the fire steel to the tube.

Just a quick thought.

11. VT-Rogue

VT-Rogue Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Very nice! I detatched the belt loop on my triflex and wrapped the top part of the sheath in paracord and made a neck lanyard. It improved retention & made a nice neck knife! Wicked sharp though take care when re-sheathing, lol

12. demonslaer

demonslaer Scout

Blog Posts:
    nice mod. I have the same knife here is how did my mod to carry my fire steel. took a piece if 1.5 inch webbing 4inch long fold in half. come in 1/4 inch from the folded end and sew the wdith. then fold the webing so the piece you just sewed is to the inside and sew the ends togather then turn the webing right side out then slide onto the sheath. I might glue the webing to the sheath not sure yet.

13. gila_dog

gila_dog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here's a red-neck fire steel that I made and attached to the Mora sheath. I bought this fire steel from Bushcraft USA. It had no handle so I made one out of a .223 case and some shrink tubing and a short length of paracord. A real LMF fire steel with a plastic handle would work even better.

To attach it to the sheath I drilled a couple of holes, ran the paracord thru one of them and tied an overhand knot in it. The other hole is for the fire steel to slip into. This is actually a slot cut into both halves of the belt clip part of the sheath with a drill, then opened up with the knife. It needs to be a bit smaller than the fire steel to grip it tight. The only thing wrong with this arrangement is that you have to take the sheath off your belt to light a fire. The fire steel stays on the sheath permanently. Also you can't clip the sheath onto your belt any more. It's only a dangler now. The good thing about it is that the fire steel is always with the knife and can't get lost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  14. fenixt

fenixt Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to necrobump, but don't have enough posts to start a new thread. Hope it's alright to post here. I've done some Mora Companion sheath mods.

First is a sheath I made from scratch, cut and sewn by hand. Made from an old tool pouch. Has a mini Bic pouch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fenixt

fenixt Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Next is a mod done to the original sheath with kydex. Mini Bic again, it's retained by the ridge in the sheath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought it was pretty rad how the Bic's colors almost match the sheaths perfectly. Looks pretty funny from the side, like the Bic is a baby holding onto the momma. My version of the Fireknife.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  16. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Dashingly Absurd. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone tried just taping an appropriate length of copper tubing (available in the proper sizes from pen-turning kits, for sure, and probably other sources) to the side of a mora sheath for a firesteel holder? If so, how did it work out?

Edit: Read posts, THEN post. .223 and heat shrink = same thing. -ycritd

17. porkpie

porkpie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another nice mod I learned from a friend who fishes in AK- tape a magnet, preferably rare earth to the back of the sheath to aid in retention

18. Woro90

Woro90 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those are very nice sheaths, and the aesthetics are really well thought-out. Very elegant, modern thing. Architecture student approved :D Just a question: Does the nylon sheath have any kind of insert to protect it from the edge? I'm going to give my cousin a modified Mora and make a sheath for it; and since (unlike me) he's more into tacticool things, I don't think a traditional leather sheath would look good among all that camo nylon; you look like you know very well what you're doing so I'm interested how it's done. My only experience with cordura and nylon webbing was making a new carrying bag for my tent when the original one (made from the same material as the tent) fell apart.

19. fenixt

fenixt Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. It wasn't hard at all. That is the first sheath I've ever made. The insert is kydex. Was originally going to use plastic from an empty oil bottle. But I did use the oil bottle to make the sheath stiffer by sandwiching a piece of plastic in the back of the sheath. I've modified my BK16 sheath before to make it shorter, and after taking it apart and seeing how simple it is after sewing it back together, gave me the confidence to try it out. You just have to visualize the sheath you want in your head, and imagine how you'd have to put it together. For example, I had to sew on the pouch strap on before I sewed the pouch on. I had to get the front of the sheath done before I could sew it on the back. I knew I was going to sew on the border so I had to cut my pieces a little bigger. Also, when making it by hand, it's hard to screw it up since it goes slowly.

20. phatkatws6

phatkatws6 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I like the little bic pouch, Awesome idea. Beats carrying a heavy firesteel in my opinion. A mini bic will give you 100 lights

21. fenixt

fenixt Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Should be well over 100. Someone did a test and got 33 minutes burn time from one. You could get close to 2000 one second flames, or about 1000 two second flames.