Mora Triflex Carbon Steel Knife Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Shorty, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Shorty

Shorty Scout

Blog Posts:
    just before the holidays I bought a Mora Triflex to take with me on a boat trip in the Bahamas that I did not want to risk taking my nicer knife on. I figured it was a good, cheap option that in case it falls in the ocean and is lost I wouldnt care too much about.

I got to use it on the trip but in very minor ways, and no bushcrafting or carving, other than cutting a fish for bait. Last night was the first time I actually sat down and spent some time putting it to the test.

Happy to say that I was incredibly impressed. Not only did it come razor sharp (which is augmented by the thinner blade than my other 4mm knives) but it seems to be very durable, strong and comfortable for long use.

I battoned wood, carved some pot hangers, used it with a firesteel, and carved some incredibly fine feather sticks. What was really amazing.......and somewhat frustrating........is that the rubber handle and its corresponding shape I actually found to be much more comfortable than any of my expensive knives.

For anyone looking to get a cheap but highly effective piece of bush kit, the Triflex will suit you well! The plastic sheath is also nice as you dont have to worry about upkeep. All in all a great package for only $20!

2. Oberdare

Oberdare Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any rust issues around all that salt water?

3. Shorty

Shorty Scout

Blog Posts:
    minimal. Yes, rust started to appear on day 4 after I had not put any protective coatings on the knife, but it never got out of hand (certainly not as much as my Leatherman got on it over the same timeframe). And a quick rubdown with the slurry from my water stone once i got home took it right off with no problems.

That was one of the main reasons I got that knife too...was that I didnt want to risk rusting my good knife. But I was impressed with the fact that I did no preventative maintenance and it still didnt rust too bad

4. Pict

Pict Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have several of the older discontinued triflex knives. I really like them. For some reason the seem easier to sharpen really well and hold a good edge. I have had some rust issues, they seem to rust faster than other mora blades. I don't know why. They also take a very dark patina with the jungle juices we have here. They make a good companion to a machete as long as you take care of the blade.

5. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of the old ones and a new one which I think is just a great knife and looks good as well.

6. Oberdare

Oberdare Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cool. My mora is 18 years old and has seen a lot of use around freshwater, canoeing and fishing and working in the rain etc, and never had any rust problems that actually using the knife didn't take care of, or a good soapy wash and scrub once back home. Just never had it near salt water so was always curious how long it would take for that light rust to appear in a humid salty environment, thanks.

7. Adam B

Adam B Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm still confused as to what Triflex is. It isn't laminated, Mora says its carbon, but the one I was gifted (like yours) doesn't seem to rust much or patina...

I wonder if it's got a surface treatment.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I thought it was laminated. I have a 780 that I love. Been a great knife. I've started using the Condor Bushcraft more now, but the 780 is still one of my favorite knives!

9. BOWGUY

BOWGUY Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    ..man, im still looking for a source to get a hold of the old 510 or the green handled 510...anybody has any connections anywhere to help a bro out?
    pm me please.
    jamie

10. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Honest review, shorty - thanks.
    I bought some Mora 840's for gifts this past season - after some rave reviews on BCUSA.

I kept one for me - and had to put it down after some use too...just too scary to the ownership of some of my much-more-expensive knives! LOL! They sure a heck of knife for a small price.

11. flint

flint Tracker

Blog Posts:
  12. Clovishunter

Clovishunter Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You know, I've been using a Mora clipper now for the past few scouts, same thing here for $12 bucks man you can't beat it. I beat the crap out of it just to see how far I can go... I got my girlie one for her first bushcraft knife and she loved it yes there's a reason they've been around for awhile. I think I'll try a Trflex next

13. GA_MTN_MAN

GA_MTN_MAN Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just bought the FOS 2000. First Mora I ever owned, and I got it because of everyone hear that sings their praises. Even though I was excited to get it and try it, I still was shocked by how much I like it. I only thought I had sharp knives before. This thing has changed the way I view my equipment.
    I have played with it a little but the real test will be using it for the monthly project challenge. I am really looking forward to it.

I plan to get several Mora's, put them in each vehicle and add them to my packs for a quality back up. So thank you to everyone on this board that opened my eyes.

14. Inusuit

Inusuit Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ragweek Forge has a good selection of Moras. And other neat stuff.

15. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The knife is differentially heat treated, softer spine and harder edge. That is what "triflex" is I guess.

16. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Triflex blade is the best carbon steel bladed knife ive used in a long time. Ive put that Mora Triflex through its paces for about 2 years now and its still going strong with no chips or anything. I use it daily with my fire rod, wood carving and even for butchering wild game. It is a superb knife in any way for my tastes and uses. For the rust issue, i wipe it down with a thin coat of Camellia Oil on a soft rag. It has not showed any signs of rust or wear and tear.
    Great Review brother, keep em coming.

17. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    My triflex chipped out pretty hardcore when batoning through a small piece half rotten softwood. I think it may have had a defective temper.

18. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thats one thing ive yet to do alot. Ive always got my Mora Triflex along with my 14 Inch Tramontina Machete. It could have been a defective temper, ive had one mora like that a few years back.

19. KiwiMark

KiwiMark Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 on this point!

Take a machete + Mora + SAK = a great setup for all your cutting needs!
    This setup could be bought for under $50, that's a pretty nice bushcraft setup for a VERY reasonable price!!!!!

I have a Mora HighQ Allround carbon that cost $10 and a Bushcraft Triflex that cost $20 and 3 other Mora knives that cost between those extremes. They are GREAT knives for the money and actually pretty darned good knives regardless of the price. Two of mine are stainless and they are good, but the carbon steel ones are better at taking a sharp edge and holding it. I haven't had an issue with rust, but it wouldn't take much to keep a rag soaked in mineral oil in a ziplock bag to use to wipe down a carbon steel knife as needed.

20. bigd1590

bigd1590 Guest

Blog Posts:
    i have to agree with what al of you are saying have tested many mora's and i know SAU sells alot of the mora 2000's ( stainless) and the mora clipper 860 MG (military grade) i know this sounds funny but i have a 2000 on my belt i drilled holes for a leg loop and a clipper on para cord to make it a neck knife.

21. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks For The Review Shorty

22. dragonjimm

dragonjimm Scout

Blog Posts:
    i really like mine. also bought from Ragweed Forge