Most Interesting Geocache Design

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Woodman: the adventurer, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Woodman: the adventurer

Woodman: the adventurer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In my short geocaching career I have only made two geocaches. Today I made on today that I though was pretty cool. I made it out of a pigeon decoy.

What's the most interesting caches that you have seen or made?

Attached Files:

2. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This:

[​IMG]

It was stapled to a telephone pole at GZ. It took us a while to find.

3. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thats pretty cool I have never had a puzzle cache or any that have been abnormally creative like that

4. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Several years ago I found a cache called "Does a bear S**T in the woods"?. When I located the actual cache, it was a small outhouse about 10" high or so and was highly detailed. Upon opening the door, there sat a bear on the pot, attached to the door was a small paper roll that you could sign your initials on. The craftsmanship was amazing, someone put a lot of work into this. I found out later it came up missing. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

5. atrane21

atrane21 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one i created that is a tree branch. The end was cut off and reattached with a small hinge and the main part was hollowed out enough to fit a pill bottle. Then i attached the branch to a tree with some fishing line and it blends right in. It was fun to make and looks great.. wish i had a picture to show.

6. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    I found one like that but there was a man sitting on the john inside.

I found one called "Thumper's Dump" that was a very realistic pile of rabbit scat on a bed of fake moss. There was a watertight envelope attached to the underside of it that held the log.

I found one that was a wasps nest made out of expanding foam insulation hanging from a tree.

I've seen pine cones with bison tubes hidden inside them.

7. Boondocks70

Boondocks70 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another take on the tree branch idea.. At the scout camp I work at, someone made a cache out of a key chain pill fob. They cut a stub limb from a pine tree and attached the pill fob via a small chain to the base. A hole bored into a fallen tree trunk to match base of stub limb and stub and fob inserted into hole. Was almost an invisible hide! They had even cleaned up all the cuttings from drilling the hole in the trunk and it looked just like any other stub limb on a fallen pine tree.

8. AZ Wandering Bear

AZ Wandering Bear Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The Raven up in Prescott, AZ has created some incredible caches. Indiana Jones and the Flame of Chantico - Part One and Two are incredibly complex but so well done and fun. One begins in the Prescott Library while Two takes you to an abandoned mine. Even if you knew where to go it would be of little help. The level of detail and information you have to process are incredible. The Raven's Labyrinth is in a city park and is totally diabolical. Have spent quite a few fun day sin Prescott chasing Dan, The Raven's, hides. Totally nice guy, too. Folks are now coming from all over the world to do his caches.

9. firemedic

firemedic Scout

Blog Posts:
    This one was kind of cool you had to figure out how to open it. You pulled out the perch that the bird sits on and the bottom drops out of it.

Located at a rest area on I 95. Just as you get into Georgia

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Buy a couple fake leaves from the craft store. Glue them together to create an envelope then hang from a branch. EVIL!

11. rocketmandane

rocketmandane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have seen some interesting ones in my time... Not exactly unique but i have seen a number of pvc pipes with small hole in bottom and waterproof container inside. You plug the hole on the bottom and then fill with water to retrieve. The real sneaky ones have two holes to plug.... (Water, flood or Waterfall references)

I have also seen a number of PVC tubes placed in the top of metal fence poles... You cant see them off the bat and cant reach them easily they normally take a small hook rope to fish out or a coat hanger.(Normally a fishing reference involved)

I have seen a number of fake pine cones and fakes leaves

My favorite is still the ammo can deep deep in the woods that has the best adventure stories :)

12. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry guys I have no experience with geocaching, but what is the point of having a cache that is so well hidden its almost gone or entirely invisible?

13. anno lynke

anno lynke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    some people like the hunt. also many caches disappear because non cachers take them so making them hard to find helps keep them around

14. rocketmandane

rocketmandane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree with what was said in the next post(can't multi quote on my phone). A lot of times the harder it is to find the longer it sticks around! I've seen some crazy and intricate caches sitting out in the open in the backwoods because most likely no one will find it. But I have seen with urban caches log books and contents dumped on the ground and no cache to be found. There are some awesome in plane site caches supper easy to find if you know what your looking for... But they tend to be large and very hard to move like old pay phones or fire or hydrants or old large drop box mail boxes. There is just to much of a chance of vandalism with smaller items...

15. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    That really sucks. Even though I dont geocache, it pisses me off to know that some lowlife would destroy or steal someones work and time. Geocaching actually sounds like something I would enjoy. Anyways I think this is getting off track. Subscribed to see more designs.

16. perdidochas

perdidochas Scout

Blog Posts:
    More of a challenge. I recently found one that was a bison tube (keychain pill bottle) that was mounted in a fallen tree limb. They drilled a hole on the underside of it, and put it on the ground. When I looked for the cache, I saw that one limb which just looked off. When I picked it up, found the cache.

Geocaching is the finding of these caches by way of GPS coordinates. The coordinates are posted on a website, and they you go find them using a GPS (most newer smartphones have GPS). The GPS gets you within about 20 feet of the cache. You have to find it from there.

17. perdidochas

perdidochas Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's great fun. My wife and boys love to geocache with me. Good reason to get outdoors and visit areas that you would have no other reason to visit.

18. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Probably not much fun for a beginner, but seasoned cachers will enjoy the challenge. I once saw one that was inside a metal fence post. You had to remove the cap and have someone pour in water while you plugged the hole in the bottom. The cache container would float to the top where you could then retrieve it and sign the log. Then you simply dropped the container back in the pole. All the water leaked out and the cache was reset for the next person.

Johnny5 likes this.
  19. PTAaron

PTAaron Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One of the first caches I found that got me hooked on Geocaching was a puzzle cache. We had to find out the age of the "Most Famous" resident of the area when they died (it was a world record holding cow) and the height of the tallest resident (a world record holding tree) and use that to get a 4 digit number - then go to a set of coordinates to find the cache.

The cache itself ended up being an extremely well disguised fake utility box on a utility pole with a 4 digit combination lock! Made me feel like I was in one of the national treasure movies finding clues :)

20. brossa

brossa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My cache is just an ammo box, but it's in a spot off a flood control reservoir. Sometimes you can walk to it (a ten minute stroll or an hour slog, depending on water level), sometimes you need a boat, and sometimes it's under water (for months at a time). In fact, it's time that I checked in on it....

21. MedievalMike

MedievalMike Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Went to a really cool geocache event in Huntington W.VA last Saturday. It was in the low 70's and then snowed the next day. It took 8 hours for me and my friends to get at least 12 caches (18 were available) in order to get an event coin.
    We did a multicache by Marshall University and while going to the commemorative fountain (watch movie We are Marshall) there was someone who had a bushcraft display out. Unfortunately I was in a time crunch and did not get to talk.
    Anyway, my favorite cache that day involved a long tube that you had to pop the top off of. Inside the lid was a magnet that you had to put against the tube in order to slide the container up inside the bottom of the tube. A lot of people could not figure it out that day.
    If you haven't tried geocaching you should, it blends well with bushcraft!

22. Bamaboy2132

Bamaboy2132 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The cache was in a pipe by the city landing. You had to find a cup to fill the pipe up so it would float to the top.

23. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  24. dmoutdoors

dmoutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    These are cool

So far I have come across a lot of different styles. I found two of them real interesting and thought i would share. I have also found crazy looking one and very difficult ones the blend in really good but I didn't have my camera with me on that trip. This is what i got though so far! Hope you like it!

This one actually had the itsy bitsy spider song as the description and hint!
    Spider Geocach.jpg

This was small but very creative!
    IMG_0963.jpg

One more i thought was cool as I was going through the pics.
    Bottom Rock Geo 2.jpg

It is a rock and has a slide on the bottom to open.

Hope everyone enjoys the pics.

25. Sparkfly88

Sparkfly88 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had enough trouble finding a Tupperware with camouflage tape all over it. I'd go insane if I had to look for a HOLLOWED OUT Branch

26. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
  27. victoriouslv

victoriouslv Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The most creative one I found used an existing iron pipe that was placed vertically in the ground about 30-40' deep (possible utilities piping?) and the person had used 550 cord to lower the cache to the bottom (or deep enough so you couldn't see it even with a light). You had to reach down into it and grab the sliver of 550 cord to begin raising the entire cash up to ground level. This cache also swallowed my protac 1L EDC flash light. Watching the flash light drop for what felt like eternity was aweful! Finding the cache...not so aweful

28. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    This one was at a rest stop in West Virginia off of I-81 I believe. The roll of TP in his hand is a nano log sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Seen and done them all. I did on with a toilet seat out in the middle of nowhere in ihe desert.

I do like when people make an effort.

30. Siberian Nomad

Siberian Nomad Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't geocache, and maybe you'll think that I have an evil mind, but has anyone ever done one named something like "Big Challenge" and then just not left anything there? Some of these are so hard that it got me wondering if anyone has ever done a geocache purely to troll other people.

31. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It's not really so much an interesting design, as it's interesting that so many people have trouble finding it. This is one I hid personally when I was first getting into geocaching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty much out in the open, and secured to the base of a tree by some paracord. This was done to replace a well hidden ammo can that was made to look a bit like a treasure chest, so it was a pirate themed cache, the cache was either muggled, or got swept away in a flood, as I later found the area it was hidden in was prone to flooding.

I sadly have no pictures of the original cache container.

32. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have found a few, though I don't geo-cashe. When I find them they are in places they shouldn't be. Like restricted access areas on R.O.W.s.

I found one near Millbury on a transmission ROW that was attached to a ground for the static line and secured with wire (someone wasn't smart). It was a fake finch with write in the rain paper wrapped around a leg. It would have been a nice spot if he had put it somewhere else. It had to be detached from the line.

I found one in RI on restricted property near a water supply where we have main lines. It was a fake fish with a corked bottle in its mouth. It was left but I checked it and no one had signed it. It's kinda illegal for most people to be there. It looked fairly old.

I found one a couple years ago in framingham that was obvious. It was a container on a key chain hanging from a tree branch with oak leaf camo wrapped around it. I didn't check it as it was inside a fence people are not allowed in.

There is one in Cranston RI near an old graveyard that someone made from a Halloween decoration of a ghost hidden in the rock wall. This is the most creative one I've found.

33. OL' OutLaw

OL' OutLaw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found one in Quartzsite, Az. that you had to bring water too, pour in a tube, and
    the pill bottle, (With a pointed cap) would then float to the top of the tube, and could be
    removed.....you also had to hold your finger over a hole in the bottom or it would not
    float.....pretty cool....