MRE Dehydrated Cold Weather Ration?

Discussion in 'Food' started by traveller, Oct 30, 2010.

1. traveller

traveller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Does the military still make a cold weather MRE and is this all dehydrated food...you just add water to eat?

Has anyone here tried it out and can comment on it-how would it compare to Mountain House?

2. HorseSoldier

HorseSoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    The full day Ration Cold Weather was eliminated somewhere along the way, though I believe they replaced it with a dehydrated single meal ration for issue in cold weather and for SOF/LRS/etc guys who need to trim as much weight as possible out of their rucks. Though I've been in the AK Nat'l Guard up here for over a year and have yet to see any of the new ones, so I don't know if they're really in the system, or if our unit doesn't warrant them, or my chain of command just doesn't know about them etc.

The old RCWs were pretty good for what they were. As far as how they compare to Mountain House -- all the ones I've seen had the dehydrated meals made by Mountain House, if I remember correctly, with pretty familiar menu items.

3. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could get a hold of some of those winter rats. they were the best.

4. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment Scout

Blog Posts:
    The RCWs -- the two pouch rations -- are indeed gone. Replaced by the MCW (Meal, Cold Weather), which is just an MRE made with dehydrated food, and IIRC, provides 1500 Calories, rather than 1200.

IMO, they are GREAT. The meal either are made by MH, or they taste exactly like them. Plus, they have the usual MRE condiments, sides and accessories.

They are good enough, that if they mass produced them for civilian consumption, I could see myself living off of them. They are the best of the MRE, combined with MH entrees.

5. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  6. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    dnjuggalo1
  7. Jäger

Jäger Guide

Blog Posts: