My First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Jason, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I didn't see any Cyclohexyl Sarin listed in your kit, or Lewisite??? But I guess then you would need to carry Atropine and Pralidoxime Chloride as well as BAL. Ya know for the Copious secretions and sweating and the other stuff that goes along with it.

But wait, what kind of kit we talking about again........??

Sorry wrong thread. Damn you Iz! Lost my train of thought. :4: :54:

2. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I had those langasidal membrane clippy thingy's used on me and what started out as a simple cut turned into a vasectomy.

3. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    LMAO!!

4. jstalljon

jstalljon Woods Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if I'm the only person that googled "diotramatic frangulator" :34::eek:

5. Jason

Jason Founder Staff Member Administrator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I sure hope so. Bindlestitch is a jerk for sure.

6. jstalljon

jstalljon Woods Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    He nearly caused me to hemorrhage my episodal leguisticator on that one! :58:

7. SluggySlugworth

SluggySlugworth Scout

Blog Posts:
    KOA how would you recommend treating wound infections without the use of oral antiobiotics? From what I understand (correct me if im wrong), in America we can only obtain antiobiotics legally with a prescription.

8. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, baby! That's what I'm talking about, always prepared!

You just had to go name calling didn't you?
    I guess my uber intelligence is to much for you to handle without going there.
    It's ok, I'm used to it.
    Iz

9. Jason

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't recommend treating wound infections without antibiotics, which is why I carry them. Yes you need a prescription to get them but you don't necessarily need an infection to get antibiotics depending on your doctor. Fun fact: did you know you can walk into a farm store and buy antibiotics for an animal over the counter? Not suggesting anything there just stating a fact.

You're not really supposed to treat wound infections in the field anyway, that's what hospitals are for. By the time an infection develops you should have had time to break camp and head toward help most likely.

10. donk

donk Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Now that's funny.

11. phiposurde

phiposurde Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There a book that treat of that subject

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books...html?ikwid=medicine+chest+paladin&ikwsec=Home

But I would follow the Surgeon order and show up at the hospital.

12. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    no, you weren't. there's at LEAST two of us... :D

13. BreNayPop

BreNayPop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    as far as antibiotics go... I've HEARD that fish antibiotics are readily available and of the same ingredients... Just so you can go look.

14. evergreen

evergreen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Being a user of albuterol on occasion for over 2 years now (it sux but sometimes its a lifesaver...literally)...i feel there is absolutely no comparison to primatene..i personally tried it and thought i was gonna die lol no relief...i hope it works if u ever need it though, i have no luck with bromide mixtures of any kind either,so...

15. evergreen

evergreen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i've never heard this but will be looking into it...anyone have any info i'd like to hear it

16. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread when you posted it, but this is a well thought out kit. Very nice Koa!
    David

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  17. BackwoodsPogo

BackwoodsPogo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OK I'm not going to lie, I didn't check all sixty-something pages of this thread to see if my question was on here. So here it is...:

Do any of you carry EppiPens?

I'm asking because I'm allergic to wasps (havent been stung in over ten years knock on wood), and was wondering the best way to carry it so that the heat didn't make it go bad so quickly. As some of you know, EppiPens go bad in 80% weather fairly fast and was just wanting to know if you had any ideas. Thanks for your help and forever in your debt;

Pogo

18. BackwoodsPogo

BackwoodsPogo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow... It said sixty eight pages to this thread, now it only says 7.... HRM... That was odd?

19. thebushmansdream

thebushmansdream Guest

Blog Posts:
    That's a great kit!

20. Egress

Egress Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This looks like a great kit. I have an issued military IFAK combined with common store bought items from my base exchange. I would like to use your guidance to build a kit such as yours.

21. Whirling Snow

Whirling Snow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Very helpful write-up. I'm using it to improve my fak.
    $3 for 2/3 mL vial of Mastisol is hyper expensive, but I can see avoiding an infected wound being worth $3. On the Internet I found it appears rare but people can have an allergic contact dermatitis to Mastisol. Read here, http://faoj.org/2008/02/01/allergic...-use-of-mastisol-skin-adhesive-a-case-report/
    I'm keeping this in mind in case an outback patient has a bad skin reaction.

22. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not to be rude but please don't link me to your blog again...

Ski

23. mercop

mercop Scout

Blog Posts:

I apologize, is that not allowed? I don't do it in a normal reply but when I have written an article with pictures about something in question I link it. Sorry if I offended- George

24. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    We ask our members to contribute here, not blind link to their blogs. Your post was removed. Feel free to post the entire content here if you wish.

25. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Concur!... Trixy Administer ringers lactate D5W stat!!!

Great Kit Jason,Realistic,Great Coverage and Good size.Now wheres my Puffer?
    M/BK

26. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Question and Suggestion

Great thread on FAK's. Thanks to all, especially Jason. I've had EMT and Paramedic training, years ago not current, and like to keep a pretty good FAK in vehicles and at home. On the trail, alone at least, I don't carry much. Had a very good kit when working with the Boy Scouts, though.
    As for wound closure, I don't. I've been trained in suturing, and have done them in the hospital, but won't in the field. Super glue will close the wound, sealing in contaminants. Sutures and staples do also. They just complicate things for the doctors in the ER when you finally get to help. Butterfly closures are easily made from duct tape or bandage tape, or even commercially purchased butterflies can be used, and they are more than adequate for field use in wound closure.
    Question for you very knowledgeable folks. I see some don't recommend you carry anything you don't know how, or are not legally permitted, to use. However, I think it's good to carry some thing on the chance that someone in the party, or the rescue team, DOES know how to use if it's available. What do you folks think?
    A suggestion now. This thread is so informative, containing good information and additional resources as well, I suggest it be made a sticky FAK thread so it is easily found. Perhaps other threads on FAK's could be combined into it as well. It's already linked in the BushClass, but needs to be available to others not taking the BuchClass.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  27. Dree Knife

Dree Knife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Does glucose gel have to be refrigerated?

28. teaguzzler

teaguzzler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry Gu and other gels in my bag not refrigerated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

29. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    I know the glucose tabs don't I've never used the gel though.

Pick your brain on your opinion about possibly carrying an epi pen or does that fall under advanced training? I was thinking bee stings and such, I'm not allergic but I know quite a few who are and have seen some of them swell up pretty bad because they didn't have it with them.

30. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    I was in CVS the other day and saw the glucose gel sitting on the shelf next to the glucose tablets so I'ld say it would be safe to carry with out refrigeration at least until you open it any way not sure if it would require refrigeration after that.

31. Jason

Blog Posts:
    As always I don't advocate carrying anything you don't know how and when to use. Epi pens fall under that category. They also require a prescription, are expensive, and have an expiration date. I'm not very flexible on that rule but you don't always need to listen me.

32. Jason

Blog Posts:
    As for allergic reactions to mastisol, I have no doubt it's possible but have never personally seen it.

33. highstick41

highstick41 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    First Aid Kit

Bought a basic first aid kit for use this summer, thanks for all the great information. I now know how to augment my kit for this summers use!

34. Grizzix

Grizzix Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Some of the posts on here are scaring the hell outta me. I appreciate all the "This is my daypack kit/1st aid pouch/ninja gear because it gives me ideas for things I might not have though about(especially the ninja gear). The problem is there are too many people that think "Oh, he has one, I need one too". This isn't the case, ESPECIALLY with 1st aid kits. Use common sense and if you don't know what it is for or how to use it...YOU DON'T NEED IT. You are going to hurt yourself or someone else through misuse. Prime example...What if 556MP had been out with someone who THOUGHT they knew what they were doing rather than someone who did. 1st sign of blood said person throws a tourniquet on him. He could have lost his hand from lack of bloodflow if it wasn't used properly. If I recall all that was used was a pressure dressing. Please, and I speak to myself with this plea, take proper 1st aid courses to learn the hows and whys instead of guessing or doing what you saw on YouTube. Some classes are expensive but there are places that give this training for free. Please don't hurt someone by "trying" to help. Just my $0.02.

Grizz

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  35. Redbusa06

Redbusa06 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    For someone who has not much medical training at all. How should I structure my kit? Main priority would also be wound care as I think most kits in our hobby would be.....

36. Kurt992

Kurt992 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  37. deChelca

deChelca Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's a heck of a kit. I have to ask, though, (and I feel like I should know this) what's the paper clip for?
    And I notice you don't carry any of that bandage that sticks to itself, which I've found to be invaluable in treating a writhing, agonized patient (a dog, actually), where having to spend time wrapping tape over its hairy body, which would just come off anyway, was just too difficult.

38. Newadventuresinthewoods

Newadventuresinthewoods Tracker

Blog Posts:
  39. MercuryFMJ

MercuryFMJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lots of clean, sterile stuff to deal with cuts and minor wounds cleanly. I will not say anything about major wound stuff as I do not know but making sure cuts don't become infected is very important, you are very likely to deal with these and you may need a large supply. A throbbing infection can happen anytime and will ruin your trip and you'll have to go home immediately for treatment, and obviously can be dangerous if you're far out. So I always make sure to have lots of packets of sterile gauze swabs, sterile dressings, ampoules of saline for rinsing and irrigating, and antiseptic ointments. I take a lot of this stuff.. some times you might not use it at all but if you happen to get two or three cuts/nasty open blisters etc. and you're out for a few days, you've got to re-clean the wound and replace those dressings at least once a day and it's very easy to underestimate the amount of this stuff you could require.

40. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    a tube or 2 of cake icing was recommended to my wife to carry for those times when her sugars drop too much / too low........

41. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As it is getting on toward the Spring "out there" season, Herself picked up a "first Aid Kit" for me. Hitherto, I've considered a very good first aid kit to be comprised of a few feet of duct tape wrapped around a big bottle of aspirin. The aspirin is for aches, pains, and hurts. The duct tape patches holes in me, my clothes, my kit, or my canoe. I think with all of the odds and ends in the first aid kit, I'll bleed out before I can find just the right bandaid to close up a bad leak.