My first attempt at a stove

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by kruger7734, Sep 16, 2011.

1. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello all, been lurking and reading up on things that I felt a need to learn. Anyway, here is my first attempt at a trail stove.
    A little background is in order. I work at a Paper mill as an Instrument man. One of the duties is to check the calibration of hazardous gas instruments. The test bottles that we use are thick walled aluminum and when empty, we throw them away. I got a coupla these bottles, made sure that they were empty, and started cutting on them. What I came up with is a cook stove, is kinda heavy, but not overly so, that should last basically for ever. Or, at least as long as I will be using it. Will fit inside a Nagalene pouch, and the support bars will fit inside the stove, along with a container of Vaseline pads to start the fire with. The support bars are made of 3/4 inch aluminum angle that I bought at Home Depot. I have tried it, and it will burn very hot with little wood. This stove is designed to use with wood, but could use any alcohol burner or others.

Dimensions are 6.5 in high by 3.75 at its widest.
    Also, I added a small loop of stainless wire, just in case I needed to move it while it is hot. Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, in the second pic, you can see in the background, I am making another one, except it is with a larger hole in the side to add wood while cooking. The first one can be loaded up with larger wood after it gets going.

2. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mi
    Nice little burner there. I like the material, should outlast my can-stoves by a loooong time!

Yeah, interesting how a bail on a stove can be a real bum-saver at times!

3. steve_t

steve_t Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Homestead in Bulgari
    Very nice, like the design and support bars particularly. Don't forget to post pics of Version 2, please

4. rpilthea

rpilthea Guide

Blog Posts:
    Intresting!
    Looking forward to how well it does and future versions!!

5. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Looks real nice Buddy

6. Nothing55

Nothing55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thats great!!!

7. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks great and very ingenuitive. Where do you feed it from? The lower vent holes? You might be able to cut a larger hole on one side to fit larger tinder in, if need be. But if it ain't broke - don't fix it! I really like the overhang on the support bars to handle larger items.

ETA: I missed the line on the bottom about version 2.0. Great minds think alike!

8. Tom's Backwood's

Tom's Backwood's Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    looks like a good burner!

9. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have some AL tubes from a large format printer that I have been trying to find a use for. I may try making a stove with one. Thanks.

10. Bill510c

Bill510c Scout

Blog Posts:
    That looks great. Well thought out and executed.

11. Brazito

Brazito Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna try that with a stainless water bottle I have. Thanks for the idea.

12. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I am learning, but I am also a Piddler. Here are a coupla more pics, just to give an idea of the size.

[​IMG]
    This one shows the bars and fire pad jar in the stove.
    [​IMG]

Three more ready to work on
    [​IMG]

This one shows the top of the bottle. Cut out the valve portion of it, could not get it out any other way. Really dont know what to do with it, but it sure does need to be made into something, just dont know what, yet.
    [​IMG]

This last one shows the original size of the bottle. As you can see, these can be made pretty long if desired. But, thinking that shorter is better, for stability.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  13. LittleWolf

LittleWolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done. I agree with you, shorter is better especially if the tube is kinda heavy. Way to go!

14. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    The pics look great - thanks for sharing! It's nice to see a before and after of the canister.

If the stove is top heavy or you're concerned about it tipping over, you could always make more angle aluminum braces to go UNDER the cylinder..."feet" so to speak!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  15. Doubletap

Doubletap Scout

Blog Posts:
    You could make a giant double walled alky. Stove like the ones that are made from stadium beer bottles

16. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Boyscout, I did think of that ,but I could not think of a way to attach the bottom braces, and still make it packable.

17. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Could you do them the same way that you have the upper supports? That's what I had in mind when I mentioned it. Maybe put them perpendicular to the uppers.

Either way, the stove looks great! It makes me wanna go out to the work bench and fiddle!

18. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Could do that Boy Scout, but, right now, there are no holes in the bottom. And, kinda want to keep it that way. Dont have to worry about any hot ashes falling out the bottom. I did put a one liter pot on it to boil water for my first try on it. And it was really stable, but that was on my driveway. Should be OK, but will try out in the yard on ver. two. Its gonna be a little shorter.

19. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    (Facepalm) I didn't even think about the bottom being closed from the canister...I guess that makes packing it a lot easier!

20. BENCH

BENCH Scout

Blog Posts:
    I give. What do you use for fuel?

21. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This one I intend to be a wood stove. But, you could use fire tabs, alcohol burner, ect.
    The reason that I even attempted to do this is that I am going to be in the woods, and fuel should be fairly abundant. That way, I dont have to lug in fuel in my pack. Granted, I could have just bought a "fill in the blank" stove, but, just wanted to make one, "just because".

And, the pics in the first post are of the first one that I made. After the fire gets going hot, I can add larger, longer burning wood to heat a large pot of water. All the heat has nowhere to go except up. Version two, with the side opening, I will actually be working on when I get home from work. That one you can add fuel, wood, as needed. This is a work in progress. And, as I stated before, I am a piddler.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  22. BENCH

BENCH Scout

Blog Posts:
    Piddling is good.
    Would like to see more closer views of the burner.....

23. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This one doesnt have a burner. Light a PJ pad, thow in, pile in kindling to build up the fire. Add larger wood. Boil water. That is pretty much it. On a side note, this thing burns everything, only ash left.

24. WoodsDevil

WoodsDevil Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very cool. Looks indestructible!

WD

25. BENCH

BENCH Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gotcha.

26. Brazito

Brazito Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have any more available? I'd buy one.

27. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great job, keep us up to date on your modds and usage.

28. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Brazito, you have a PM inbound

29. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OK, here is version 2. I got another bottle at work, had a little free time so I prepped it up. In this first pic, I have cut it to length, made the horizontal cuts for the access port, and indexed the support bar slots. This was all done on a Horizontal sliding precision band saw in our machine shop at work. Also had a trip to the sandblaster to give it an even finish. Didn't blast the inside, left it shiny. This one is right at 5 inches tall, with an inside depth of 4.5 inches. The bottom is curved, sorta bell shaped. That will put the support bars a little under 4.5 inches long. Gotta be able to store the bars in the stove.

[​IMG]

Marked the end cuts and getting ready to dremmel out the center piece. Used a dremmel with two friction disks. Two seems to work better than one. One tends to break if you skew the disk after you get a little depth in your cut. I am old and my hands aren't as steady as the used to be.

[​IMG]

Sides are cut, now all you have to do is tap with a knuckle and knock out the center piece.

[​IMG]

Now just file the edges.

[​IMG]

Next is filing the slots for the support bars. I used my precision Chinese Needle file set that I got at a flea market for 4 bucks. You need to file in the same plane as the slot on the other side. File a little and check for fit, repeat as necessary until the angle slides in. The side that I started on was cut a little deeper than the other side. Will get to making them even a little further down. Once the angle will fit all the way down, then flip over and do the other side for that support piece. The fitting of the support bars is really the most time consuming part of this. If you file too much, it still works, but it can be a little wobbly. So go slow.

[​IMG]

Now, you take this dandy little device, loosen up the retaining screw and set it on the top. Then you just bottom out the ruler in the slot you made. You now have the depth. Move it over to the other side and mark the depth with a pencil.

[​IMG]

Now just take your time and file out the other side, check, file, ect. When you get finished, your bars should fit in fairly snug. But a little loose is OK as well. They should look like this:

[​IMG]

On the first one I did, I got the slots a little too close to the middle, so I had stability in one direction, but not the other. Here is a pic of the first one's slots, you can compare it to the first pic in this posting of Ver 2.

[​IMG]

On the first one, I couldnt do this:

[​IMG]

This one is much more stable, likkin' this one a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With version 2 I have a much wider footprint for a pot to set on, much more stable. Also, I can swap sides and have them support towards the middle for a smaller item if I wish.

Still left to do is cutting the slots in the support bars so they fit up against the top of the stove, drilling the holes in the supports and a few in the stove to feed air to the fire, adding a bail to move the stove when hot. I'm tired and I hate working on stuff when I am tired. Will finish up tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  30. docgra

docgra Scout

Blog Posts:
    an alternate support system

Nice work, and certainly a project in progress. Did you consider cutting a 3/4 to 1# ring from a cannister and cutting it exactly in half to use as your supports ? They would slide down into top slots at the proper position with their curves "back-to-back" ... sorta ) ( ....

Slots up and down the stove would allow moving the 2 "C" supports to different positions to use for alcohol stove, Esbit tabs, etc., while making a super windscreen...

Just askin' .... as I hae gotten older-, my gageteering skills have become less certain, so I applaud your project.

Doc

31. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, will have to ponder on that one a bit docgra.

I have made a little more progress, but not much. Am documenting it, but will post it all when I get done. And, I dont know when that will happen, Mother in law is commin for a coupla weeks. Turmoil and dissent is in my future.

And, I know this aluminum bottle that I am using is sorta unique . Not everybody has access to these. But, you can be on the lookout for suitable substitues. This is just the way that I am doing it with the materials that I have. This is not an Ultra-light cook stove, but not really noticably that much heaver. But it will be Ultra-durable. Also, I have found that there is a limit on how short you can make these and still be able to store the cross bars inside. Get the cross bars too short, and you loose stability pretty quick. Trying to keep this a neat little pkg, so I think that about 5 inches is the limit on this one.

32. intel440

intel440 Scout

Blog Posts:
    very cool.....

33. ElectricHellfire

ElectricHellfire Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very nice indeed!

34. kmystry

kmystry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those canisters cut down to maybe 1/2 size would also make a great cook pot...sorta like a GSI Minimalist pot.

35. Theron714

Theron714 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really nice.

36. Ohio Bushcrafter

Ohio Bushcrafter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I missed this originally I applaud you kruger7734 well thought out plan and reasoning behind why your not doing it differently helps others not find out the hard way something doesn't work (a great records on R&D) Like to get my hands on one of these and give 'er a go keep us updated you certainly got my attention..

37. kruger7734

kruger7734 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Now this is something that I had not considered, and it is painfully obvious now that you pointed it out. Thanks.

Also, a coulpa you guys have expressed interest in getting one of these bottles. They are not hard for me to get, they are a throw away item at my work. But, I can only get them when they are empty, and that is something that I cannot control. Also, I cannot ship them with the valve in place, USPS regs forbid me from doing so. I have to cut out the valve. Shipping on a whole bottle minus the valve is around 6 and a half bucks, already sent one to a guy that asked. Sending a full bottle is a bit of a packing chore, so, if you are interested in one of these, then I am willing to send them out cut to 7 inches long. That is really too long for a stove, but will allow you to cut it to the height that you want. And, just to keep things simple for me, cost will be 6.50 shipped. Really prefer paypal gift on this. Also, please keep in mind that I dont have a bunch of these sitting in the garage, just grabbed a coupla them initially to piddle around with, so waiting is part of the deal.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011