My Monthly project!

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by The Canadian bush crafter, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Canadian bush crafter

The Canadian bush crafter Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys!
    This is my first real thread so take it easy on me if I screw up, well this month I've taken on a new project. I've made my self a canvas bedroll. To do this I took a canvas drop cloth, the one I got was like three foot wide by 14 feet which is plenty for a guy my size. The first thing I did was fold the thing in half length wise , I then took out my wool blanket that I planed to use in the bag and I folded it in the centre so that I could use it as a measuring reference to see how long I wanted it. I then laid the blanket on the folded cloth and cut the cloth. When folded it should be about three feet by the length of the blanket plus a bit for a hem because the canvas will unravel when cut .The next step is to hem all the cut sides which, if you cut it right should be only three feet. Now you have to sew up the sides. I personally sewed up one full side then up the other about a foot that way I have a pocket for my feet so they don't slide out. ( I've added toggles up the rest of the un sewed side except for at the head of the bag) but if you wish you could sew up both sides all the way. Lastly i plan on make it oil skin using a compound I've come across in my readings. The compound is 1 part bees wax 1/2part terpintine 1/2 boiled Lin seed oil . To make this melt bees wax in a double boiler then take it off the heat and add the other parts and stir it up. Then let cool and harden, it should come out looking similar to the bees wax but have a creamer texture in your fingers. Then to apply rub it into the canvas evenly and take a blow dryer or heat gun and heat it up ,it should darken as you add heat , that's your sign to stop! Then it's oil skin. I've used this method on canvas before but I have to make a new batch. Well that's my project for the month, hope you enjoy!

2. The Canadian bush crafter

The Canadian bush crafter Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Whoops I didn't read the stickey! I thought this was for posting your personal projects!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.