My New Savage Model 42 410/22 over under

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by antiacus, Mar 6, 2013.

1. antiacus

antiacus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is a rifle i will be taking on a survival trip this summer. I thought long and hard about what to bring and ended up with the model 42. I think MSRP is $430, i paid $360.

Some brief impressions:

Trigger: decent, i can work with it.
    Front Sight: atrocious, the bead is tapered large to small from muzzle to aft and covers the whole bulls eye at 20 yards.
    Rear Sight: Not horrible, but not great. I'm going to swap for an aftermarket peep.
    22 Barrel: seems okay. with the horrid sights i was able to shoot pretty tight groups.
    410 Barrel: Needs a choke. Shot an 18" pattern at 20yds with no6 hunting shot. I wouldn't shoot at a grouse or quail outside of 15 yards. I'm wondering if a gunsmith could do some sort of screw in choke.

Overall, i have to say i like it despite it's warts. It's just so light and handy and points really well. With improved sights and a little better range for the shotgun and i will love it.

I took my 7 year old daughter for her very first marksmanship session and it was perfect. I like how the action really slows everything down and makes for very deliberate movements.

It's an ugly rifle in my opinion. Not that it bothers me much, i have lots of sexy rifles, this is a knockabout tool. But i've been wanting to try my hand at painting one for awhile and i think it looks quite a bit better. Red on black has never been my thing.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After: (sorry for the cellphone pics)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. d-alex001

d-alex001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    very good))) what ammo you shoot? I myself want to buy a gun. I wait until they are available in Russia. Can you take a picture of more sights?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. mdauben

mdauben Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review. I liked the old Model 24 but was on the fence regarding the new Model 42. It is an ugly gun but your camo paint job definitely improves the looks. Nice job!

4. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really like the way that looks with the camo.

5. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought one also. I'm hoping it becomes sufficiently popular for Skinner sights to come up with a peep sight - my gunsmith is going to give me an estimate on fabbing a replacement for the front barrel bracket with a 3/8 dovetail so standard fiber optic blades could be used on the front sight , out of aluminum which will be anodized black...

6. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did you disassemble the gun to paint or just mask off? It looks great! I can't stand the red(kinda pink on mine) "o" rings - I tried a black sharpie but it looked bad so I'm back to pink o rings....

7. Blaker55

Blaker55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    While waiting for govt approval process when purchasing my 10-22 Takedown I fondled the model 42. I really liked it. I agree with you that I also would probably treat it as a knock around gun. Seems like such a handy piece of equipment.
    Shoots 22, 410 and I assume you could put 410 slugs through it. Darned versatile!
    Arguably falls in the category of, "If you could only have one gun..."

Great job on the paint job!

Might have to consider one in the future.

8. Alpine Jo

Alpine Jo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The camo makes it look 10 times better. I have a model 24 22/410 but i wish it was lighter and had sling mounts. Might have to pick up a 42 now that i know camo makes it look decent.

9. antiacus

antiacus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So far i've only put .22 lead 42gr and no6 birdshot through it, .22 ammo is still way behind in production and i was lucky to get 500 rds of what i got.

i'll post some better pics later today since there is interest.

For the camo job i followed the method this guy did on his m1a. I reversed his color pattern and started with green, then brown, then tan since i live in a really green area. (also an Oregon flat instead of canuckistanian :)).

[video=youtube;3q9YYy3O3m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q9YYy3O3m8[/video]

10. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cammo saves the day.

11. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review, and congrats for taking the plunge.
    I'm not a big fan of a .410 as the shot gun barrel.....Hear anything about a 20 ga version?

12. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well to quote on of the Robertson boys "To a redneck, adding camo to anything makes it instantly cool". I must say I agree in this instance. From one of the ugliest firearms ever built to one that is cool looking. I would have never believed it.

13. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking gun, after the camo job. Liked the video too.

Where in Portland are you from? I'm over in southeast, Milwaukie.

Good day and welcome to one of the best sites on the web.

14. antiacus

antiacus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. I'm in Springfield. I removed the butt pad and rear sight and taped everything else off. The forward grip is injection molded over the barrels so there is no getting them out. Probably good from a durability standpoint i guess.

The only other option is a 22 magnum top barrel. I considered it but for my purposes (bushcraft & shtf) the versatility and economy of the 22lr won out. Using CCI quiet ammunition i could shoot a squirrel and you couldn't hear it the next ridge over.

atfan please let me know how things go with your smith. I'm likely a second buyer if he comes up with something reasonably economical. For now i'm considering using a file on the front sight to remove the taper.

15. tranders

tranders Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much for the review. I have been curious about the Model 42.

Don't understand why they didn't choke the shotgun barrel. Makes no sense to me,but that's nothing new. Lol

The camo paint job looks great. Much improved from factory.

16. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    maybe they didn't choke it in case someone put a .45 LC bullet down it?

17. Easterner

Easterner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Great work brother!

18. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Choke or not, that would be a disaster........ .450 -.410 = .040 of too small.....

19. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    screw in chokes would be nice on a gun like that but its gonna be a pain to have a sighting system for two barrels like that

20. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I tried a scope with a model 24, .22 mag/20 gauge with a scope.

They come with the 3/8 groove (.22 style mount)... but also say "Do not used scope with shot gun barrel"....and although it didn't fly off (?), the .22 mag and the 20 w/slugs were quite a bit different sight picture, about a foot difference at 25 yards.

So I took it off.

21. Falstaff

Falstaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice job. I've been curious about the savage model 42 but I think I'll be sticking with it's grand daddy, a stevens 22 410.

22. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I handled one too while checking out a 10/22 takedown. What go me was that the injectors or a poly plastic or something. Wonder how they will last. It would be great to get a 1 year review.

23. BigBadWolf101

BigBadWolf101 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Awesome job on the camo! I've been looking into an over/under and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Savage. I've been thinking about painting it, and this is truly inspiring and has sold me. I have handled one, and it's light weight and actually feels really well in the hand. I noticed a push tab on the stock that removes the recoil pad. Is it difficult to remove the recoil pad, and is there a lot of space in the stock to maybe put extra ammo or a survival kit?

24. jlcop

jlcop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic paint job! You should send a couple of photos of it to Savage, maybe they will get a clue.
    John

25. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just an FYI....if you want to remove the recoil pad , you must first unscrew the sling swivel and then LIGHTLY push down on the button.I pushed my button too hard and snapped it off the first time I removed the pad-Savage is graciously sending me a new one under warranty-great customer service!

26. btdallmann

btdallmann Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing. This is one of the guns I have had my eye on, but haven't been able to even hold yet, as I cannot find one around here.

27. antiacus

antiacus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Bah, just realized i had already posted that video in here :)

I will get some pictures of the sights this weekend. I'm planning on giving the front sight a go with a file this weekend too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  28. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have several older Savage combo guns. I have found the newer ones to be cheap and flimsy feeling. Nothing I would trust long term. Just MY opinion. For that price, or close, one can still find used ones at gun shows or used in shops. My old Stevens' .22/.410 may be longer and wood stocked, but the .410 bbl is full choked and patterns well. It is my goto gun for squirrel hunting and I have taken grouse at 25 yards and a little longer with it.

edz

29. Eycee1

Eycee1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This gun is growing on me.....your camo job has greatly increased its looks. Lol. Does it break down in half by chance?? I have a rossi single shot with some adapters to shoot other calibers but I really like the over/under combos.

30. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've got a 1965 vintage Stevens, shot two grouse with it just last weekend. If they come out with a .22/20ga or .22/12ga I'd bite.

31. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No camo skills just OD :

[​IMG]

32. snappydog357

snappydog357 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Darn, now I got to break into my rainy day money for another project. I love that paint job. It looks awesome.

33. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sadly, I have to agree that a cylinder bored .410 is just not much for hunting. Too little shot opens too fast. My M6 doesn't remotely have enough metal to do screw in chokes.

34. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just an FYI- the scope mount for a Ruger 10-22 (Leapers,9.00) fits just fine -two holes on the Ruger mount are spaces at 7/8"...no need to spend 29.00 for the EGW mount.

35. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Although the paint jobs are an improvement I swear I had water guns growing up that looked better/more durable than this. How hard is it to remove the little "BANG!" flag that pops out of the barrel? ;)

36. ZACCAROM

ZACCAROM Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Why does this gun remind me of an "Orion" flare pistol?

orion_flare_gun.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  37. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:

Where did you get that sling? Normally I don't like them because there are too heavy, but with a 410 it might work.

38. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
  39. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I'm trying to come up with a reason someone would buy one of those instead of an old original Savage Model 24

40. Loosearrow

Loosearrow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe it was choked that way so it would be better for slugs. You can shoot deer with a 410 slug in some states. Then again, to hunt deer with the rimfire on top may make the gun illegal. I have always wanted to take a deer with my camper 22/20 using a slug. The rimfire made it illegal to do so. Nice camo job by the way. Turned out nice.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  41. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
  42. leadchipmunk

leadchipmunk Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I know this is an old post but I just received the Model 42 for Christmas and I really like everything about it so far, except for the oversized front sight.
    Atfan, did you ever get an estimate on the bracket? I would love to get something like that made so I can put on a new sight and hone in my groups.

43. Gecco304

Gecco304 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sights

Has anyone found good sights for this gun? Or an ecomomical way to mount a scope? Squirrel season is right around the corner and I would like to get my gun sighted in. The factory sights absolutely suck. I think I could shoot better without them. Lol

Anyways please post if anyone has any info. I may start playing around with a few different options myself.

44. rdec

rdec Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If it were mine I would go for a fiber-optic front sight (they really help aging eyes), a rear with a removable aperture (with the rifle aperture unscrewed you have a ghost ring) and would have a gunsmith jug choke it to IC. Full choke with a .410 makes a really narrow shot column and is uncomfortable with a slug.

45. atfan

atfan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ruger 10/22 scope mount fits hole pattern and the screws are 6-48 also - the NCstar mount is only 9.00 . A Bushnell TRS25 red dot works great,too.You can cut off some of the scope mount length if you want , so it doesn't cantilever over the barrel...TRS25 only needs a short chunk of rail.

46. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Too bad the oringinal 24's are commanding such prices. I would love to find one resonable.

47. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya, man. I shoot a 24S-C in .22LR/20ga a good bit, and the part of me that likes to pinch every penny cringes when I take it out and put field wear on it. I mean, it wasn't in the greatest cosmetic shape even when I bought it, but... Some collector that would probably give me real money for it is probably cringing as they read this, too. Haha.

If I could only have two guns, that gun would be #2 (#1 would be a high-capacity semiautomatic rifle of some sort, for non-bushcrafty reasons I'd best not discuss on these fora). It's the kind of gun that you buy once and, if it is a piece of reasonable quality that shoots well, it serves you for the rest of your life. So I think it's not a huge stretch to put a few bucks into a decent gun, at least not in the long view, if it's something that you'll get a lifetime of use from. I mean, you buy a car for 10x what you'd pay for a decent gun, and over the 10 or so years you drive it until it falls apart, that money you paid for it just swirls down the toilet as it depreciates. But a good used gun will at least hold its value if it is taken care of. That's my rationalization behind finally ponying up to buy the Valmet, anyway, but maybe I am just deluding myself...

But many of the 24s cost a lot and don't shoot well. I think I was a very very lucky man to find mine at the price I got it for. I have two others, and if one ignores investment value and just looks at how well they shoot vs. what they cost, they aren't worth a hoot. Mostly in the regulation department.

So if there were something out there (1) of current manufacture and fairly common and thus (2) lacked "collector value", and was (3) of decent quality and was (4) either user-regulatable or regulated well at the factory and (5) chambered in some sort of .22 rimfire and 12 or 20 gauge, I would probably spend some money to have one. Just to keep the ol' 24S-C from getting all worn out from use, as part of me feels like I am just throwing money away every time it gets another scratch on it. And it's not really a "great" gun. I mean, I don't see any way to easily replace the hinge pin when it wears out, for example, and parts are impossible to find, as the action is different than the other 24s. I expect that will probably do it in sometime during my lifetime.

But all the current production combos (the ones that even begin to approach normal-people money anyway) either don't pass my "quality" requirement (Baikal Sever) or are chambered in .410 (Chiappa, Savage 42, etc etc). Nothing against the .410 or anything; it's just not an inexpensive "do it all" round like the 12 or 20 IMO. And I am pretty sure that we can no longer import any Baikals, so I guess they fail the essence of the whole "current production" thing regardless.

I guess it's a supply and demand thing. I guess that our US hunting culture isn't a "one-gun, mixed bag" sort of thing. Which is fine. But it still frustrates me a bit, heh.

Jeez, I tend to ramble too much on this topic, don't I? I guess what I am trying to say is, if they made the 42 in 20 or 12 gauge and I could get it to shoot decently, I'd probably buy one. If they did that as well as made wooden furniture an option, I'd definitely buy one. If it wasn't Rich-People Kreighoff Prices, anyway. I mean, a 12 or 20 seems to make so very much more sense than .410. I've sent emails to both Savage and Chiappa suggesting such, but I guess I am crazy. I dunno. I read long ago that Chiappa had plans to release a 20 gauge version of the Double Badger, and was very pumped, but it has never materialized, so who knows....

Anyway, have a good night, y'all!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  48. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I longed for a 24 since forever. Working for gun shops and in the gun in industry I ran across a number of them. I considered the 22/410 the A typical "squirrel " rifle. The ones I could have bought where either over priced rats, or over priced because they where pristine. (Now I would love to find a 22/20ga RAT!!)

Jump forward to early 2000. I decided I was just gonna spend what I needed to, to get one. I think it was Gun Broker, but I found a nice one, think it cost me $500 and its very nice and I had my Savage 24.

I have a "fondness'' :7: for the 22 magnum. a few years back a friend in my pistol league passed. His widow contacted me, saying her husband said I was a honest man and she should contact me to help selling off his firearms. I happily did this. During that initial inventory I found a Savage 24 DLX 22Man/20 ga and I asked if I could purchase it after the other guns where sold. She said that one was special, so I did not mention it again. I helped facilitate the transfer and sale of nearly all his firearms. Took almost six months. The day I went to get the last one, she sat me down and told me a story. Short story, her husband knew of my fondness for the Savage 24 and especially the 22 magnum and had told her to give me that Savage after the guns where sold. I had my second Savage 24. ;)

I looked at these 42's when they came out and the plastic and apparent "cheapness" along with the HIGH price turned me away.

Last year an other friend contacted me about a 24V 30-30/20ga down in Alabama and shortly after, I had my third. ;)

If you look, remain diligent you can find them for appropriate prices.

CW

49. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll bet Savage could make a killing with re-introducing the .22/20 ga. Camper with a synthetic stock (dark green). Or full camo.

50. sdc

sdc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I own a 24v, .222/20, I guess I lucked out as the barrels are regulated fairly close. The downside is finding .222, need to start reloading it.

Would be all over a 42 with a current centerfire round over 20 or 12ga!