Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Hunt4lyf, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just picked one of these up at the flea market today for $45, it's filthy, was used in A-stan but otherwise in perfect shape. Anyone have any experience with this pack? It seems about as bombproof as my Kifaru.

2. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Whoops! I meant to put this in packs and bags, I guess I shouldn't be posting at 3 am.

3. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    you guys always make me jealous at the things you manage to find at flea markets.
    Only thing I've ever found was a wool blanket for 15$.

4. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Forty Five Bucks?!

Where is this flea market of which you speak?

Anyway, filthy or not, worn or not, forty five dollars for an MR Three Day Assault Pack is an outstanding find. If it's filthy take MR's own guidance and take it to a car wash and hose it down with the high pressure nozzle - no soap or wax please!

MR will repair just about anything wrong with one of their packs, for a price of course. MR's founder, Dana Gleason, got into the backpack business back in the 70's by repairing other's work and understands the need for quality repair work.

I own the MR Sweet Pea, which is the pack that was used as the basis for the Assault Pack development. These are outstanding packs - bombproof, very well designed and have one of the best suspension systems available. The Sweet Pea is the pack that is teaching me that zipper enclosed packs are OK (I'm normally a traditional top loading sort of guy). Check out MR's website on instructions on how to properly fit the pack.

Good luck, and let's have some pictures!

5. Ambu

Ambu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the guy above me. Where in the hell are you guys going and finding hundred dollar packs for $45!?

Our flea markets just have the junk the antique stores won't take.

6. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    You got super lucky, those are incredible packs and I believe around $300 new. All made in the USA. Clean it up and ask about the stories it can tell you from where it has been. I have wanted one of those for a while.

7. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Does your 3 day MR pack look something like this?
    [​IMG]

I have 2 MR and 1 old Dana Design pack and they are my favorites. They have never let me down and have been most comfortable packs for me. I have also been a Kifaru fan and use a Longhunter alot but the MR is more comfortable with heavy loads.
    The day I over loaded this pack with a good sized black bear boned out and half the hide plus all my gear for a 2 day trip was the day the MR earned my respect and became my favorite. I did the same with an early Kifaru and broke 2 plastic buckles on the shoulder straps, Kifaru now uses metal buckles where mine broke.
    [​IMG]

8. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    That’s a great pack and even better or the price. My last tour in Afghanistan I used my Mystery Ranch 3DAP. I did a lot of traveling via air and convoy and it was an excellent 3-day pack for my needs. It’s pretty much bomb proof. Congrats on a great deal!

I also have a few Kifaru packs. Much like MR, they are heavier due to their construction, but the suspension makes all the difference in the world when you have heavier loads. These are also much more robust packs when really doing off-trail hiking and bushwhacking; they will better handle scrapes, drops and snags.

ROCK6

9. edonald78

edonald78 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great deal. I have been interested in one of those packs. You got that bag at an excellent price. I hope that you enjoy it!

10. Chiral

Chiral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow! What a steal! Great find :)

11. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great score! That pack is bulletproof and will last you a lifetime...

12. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    I got really lucky on this one, the guy did not know what he had.

Thanks! That was what I was looking for.

I agree.

Thats the one, just in coyote brown. Nice bear!

Im glad its as tough you as you say it is, from how filthy it is it went through a lot of stuff over there. Thanks for your service!

13. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    What are you using to strap the bear down with?

14. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    On that day I wanted to try and make just one trip because of the heat so I pushed all the boned out meat in a game bag and put it in the main pack compartment. I kept half of the hide and it barely fit above the meat inside the main compartment. The top zipper was left open with the head hanging out. All other gear and the head (which was still attached to the hide) were lashed on with paracord to try and keep the load together. Not pretty at all but the pack survived. I have never been a fan of zipped packs because of zipper blow out but this thing held up and is still getting used every hunting season. I consider the pack my day pack for hunting that has meat packing capabilities. The shovit pocket makes it possible to pack an elk quarter if needed.

15. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:

Gotcha! I thought it was something like the Kifaru load sling but you just booty fabbed it. Gotta love 550 cord:14:
    Thanks

16. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Are you sure its a 3 DAP? I have the first generation Big Horn and that pack looks more like it because of the stik it pocket on the back. I have a Grizzly I got for half off at their garage sale last year and a Big Horn. They are great packs and handle a load very well. In my Big Horn (3,000 cubic inches) I can easily haul 45 pounds and my back won't hurt. I actually look forward to putting my pack back on. This is coming from someone with a bad back.

Another nice thing is they're made in Bozeman, MT and all the parts to make them including thread ans buckles are made in the US. They also have a lifetime warranty and great customer service. I had a couple of questions before I purchased my first one and it didn't matter if I contacted them by phone, email, or facebook they were always quick to reply and through in their answers.

added text: I forgot you can buy the stick it pocket by itself but you son't see them much.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  17. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got one that I bought used here or on my other forum home, but man you got a deal! Seriously, great luck.