Nailed

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Bravo Tango, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nails are the best. In a true SHTF situation I plan on using them to attach my prisoners to trees .......... :46:

2. Dirtymike

Dirtymike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Weird cause after the bastrop fire we were out rebuilding fence. I tried to use some of the nails from the burnt house. About two good taps on the nail head and they bent over. I tried many different sizes and types. About 5. I guess you can re heat treat them? I dont know about these kinds of things. Can you reheat treat it over and over again and get the strength back or does it degrade and you never have the same quality of steel again???

3. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you ever have the same quality of steel back again. Guns that have been in fires are not safe to use again, no matter what you do to them.

I've heard the story about burning a house down to save the nails, but it never made sense to me. I have my doubts if it was really done.

4. 3fires

3fires Guide

Blog Posts:
    They did re-use the nails, but I don't know why they would burn down the house to do so. They probably re-used the wood too, or for fuel if nothing else.

5. rob/saltrock

rob/saltrock Scout

Blog Posts:
    heat- treated STEEL is different than soft wrought iron. alot of times old nailed where put thru holes then bent(clenched) over. they had to be heated and straightened anyway

rob/ saltrock

6. BDDwoods

BDDwoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wrap fishing line around a couple of nails for storage in my kit. I put the nail in my drill to wind the line around it tightly. Then use electrical tape to keep it snug.

7. Grey Ranger

Grey Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    THis is really, REALLY, cool. Thank you for posting. I wish i had a space like that for myself

8. beekeeper

beekeeper Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have whats left of a 50# box of 8 and 16 p wire nails, screws varrious sizes. Two hammers, one for my g-son to loose and one for me to use.
    I just put brass tacks up the back of my ax handle 1 inch apart as a measuring "tape".
    The next is to take a triangle file and noch the head in 1/8 1/4 1/2 ect. for fine measuring.