need help from Geocache experts....

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by fishaholic, Dec 28, 2012.

1. fishaholic

fishaholic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got a Magellen explorist 110 for christmas, I am new to this geocaching. Me and my son are going to start doing it. I am trying to load up the caches around me, I dont know how to load them all or several at once....I can click on one at a time and "send it to GPS" and it works fine...when I select all and "send to GPS" it doesnt work and I get other stuff come up...not sure what its all asking me..... can anyone help me?
  2. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Premium membership with geocaching.com will let you import .gpx files to contain cache info in groups.
    If not, its one by one...
    Try opencaching.org, owned by Garmin so it may not talk to magellin products...
  3. theNATIVEONE8

theNATIVEONE8 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm afraid one by one is how I do it too. I'm not a premium member so I don't know if it's different for them. Geocaching has taken me to places I would have never went to otherwise. Good Luck and have fun!
  4. fishaholic

fishaholic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got a month membership with the GPS, but no luck with it working..
  5. Caper86

Caper86 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I find the premium membership is worth it for a month at a time. Caches don't change all that often, so I pay the 5 dollars (I think that's what it is), and run a single pocket query for all of the 1000+ caches in the 50 mile radius around my city. I load this onto the GPS, and I'm good for the foreseeable future. Definitely worth the few dollars to save the hassle - think of how much time it would take to load that many one at a time, then think of how much your time is worth.

I'm sure there are people here who have a premium membership who would be willing to run the query for you if you told them the area you're interested in, and then email you the gpx file. I'd offer but my membership expired a couple of months ago.

Best of luck! Geocaching is an awesome hobby to pick up, and is especially fun for the youngsters.

edit:
    After seeing you're last post, I suggest doing a search on youtube.com for 'geocaching pocket query'. I 'believe' that's where I first learned how to run a query. It really isn't the most intuitive system in the world, but it's not that bad once you figure it out.
  6. UDTfrogman

UDTfrogman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Once you run a PQ, you will need an external program to download them to the GPSr. Lots of people use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). It is free, but the nag screen gets longer if you don't buy it. We are premium members and I would be happy to set up a PQ with your parameters and email it to you. We mainly use iPhones now to cache, but the Etrex sees some action now and then. We like the geocaching.com app so we can search for caches wherever we may be.
  7. fishaholic

fishaholic Scout

Blog Posts:

I can do all that stuff and have a pocket quiry running at 300 caches...I just cant figure out how to get them onto my GPS..it saves them to my computer...I just need to know how to get them on my GPS. This whole process seems difficult to do to just go out and find these caches..
  8. UDTfrogman

UDTfrogman Scout

Blog Posts:
    You have to hook the gps to your computer and use an external program like GSAK or EasyGps to read the PQ and then load the caches onto the gps.
  9. Ambu

Ambu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What are the benefits (if any) to geocaching from a handheld GPS rather than a cellphone that is GPS enabled?
  10. fishaholic

fishaholic Scout

Blog Posts:
    not sure, I dont have a internet phone, dont want it...other than having a GPS, Ive heard that using these apps runs your battery down pretty quick.
  11. fishaholic

fishaholic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used the EasyGps...not sure how I did it yet but I got them loaded to my GPS...been messing with this thing all day and getting frustrated....thanks for the suggestion...
  12. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Have you looked into using a smartphone and the app for Geocaching? Imo its the only way to go unless you caching an area with out any cell coverage. That's the only time I pull out my GPS and by hand enter the cords. I'm a premium member and don't use most of the features I pay for but I like supporting the site and the sport.
  13. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't use a phone app GPS. Friends have it and it sucks their battery life down. Besides I prefer to keep my GPS separate from my phone. My GPS is water proof, phones on the other hand are not. If you drop your phone in water, you just lost everything. No calling for help if need be!
  14. UDTfrogman

UDTfrogman Scout

Blog Posts:
    With a GPS, your caches have to be pre-loaded. I use the geocaching.com app and search for caches wherever I may be.
  15. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    It'll drain them pretty quick.

I write the coordinates down on a piece of paper, key them in when I get to the general area and then look. Once the weather improves I'm going to look for some others as I haven't had any real luck on the few that I've looked for.
    Shane
  16. gstrand

gstrand Tracker

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

I do as well. The phone app is pretty slick, albeit a tad less accurate than my GPSr. I love the fact that I can open it and search for caches based on proximity and is real time. The most expensive app on my iThing, but totally worth the ten bucks.

When we go as a family, it doubles as an add'l GPS so more than one kid can be chasing the arrow. I've also run across caches that were not in my PQ but show up on the phone (really new ones, for example), and it's easy to add the waypoint as a one off in to the Garmin.
  17. Crazysanman

Crazysanman BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    If you have a premium membership make a pocket query, download the results, and put them on your GPS. Make sure you know where to put them on the GPS. When I add things manually to my Garmin Oregon 450 I have to drag and drop them into a certain folder on inside the GPS or they won't be found by the unit.

I use the phone app 90% of the time and the GPSr when hiking or backpacking out of cell phone range, or when going after multi-stage caches.
  18. SmithPNW

SmithPNW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use my samsung galaxy 3 with c:geo. Here is what i like about it.

1. Its a free app
    2. It has live maps so i can see trails from the satellite views while in the field
    3. I can upload my pocket query straight to it from my phones internet
    4. Allowed me to go 100% paperless
    5. I can log my finds from my phone.
    6. Using wifi i can download caches without data charges
    7. Easy of use

Here are the downsides
    1. Data charges for using live maps or uploading caches on the go.
    2. Phone gps is slightly less accurate than my etrex (good enough to find a cache but i wouldnt recommend using to get coords for hiding a cache)
    3. Drains battery (can be improved by dimming screen)
    4. Can freeze your phone. (I just close and restart the app. More of an inconvienence)

Overall assesment: worth a try because it is free.