need Iphone help

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Beo-wulf, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Beo-wulf

Beo-wulf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    perhaps you heard my wife lost her wedding ring http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/120318-lost-wedding-ring-need-advise/page4
    I have a new Iphone 4 but I am old school and do not know much about such technology. Can you give links to tutorials that will help me use google maps in the woods?

This can help me find my wife's ring. I need to hike back to the camp location, lock in the coordinates, then I can get there easier and maybe even have others help find the ring. But I don't know how.

2. Brewton

Brewton Scout

Blog Posts:
    On mine you can just open up the maps app and punch in coordinates where the address goes pulls it right up on my 5.

3. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pull up Google Maps on the iPhone. Get to where you want to go or scroll to the area in Google Maps. Tap and hold the screen to add a pin. You will see a window at the bottom identifying the dropped pin. Click on that and you will see a share option where you can send it as a text or email. If you need to move the pin, tap and hold on it and you should be able to move it around. It may take a few tries to hit it just right.

4. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Or you could use the Geocaching app ($10 I think) and set it up as a geocache to share with friends. Just mark it as not a active cache and delete it once done so people aren't aimlessly wandering the woods.

5. Conquering Fool

Conquering Fool Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like Gaia GPS - has topos and other good features and they have a tutorial on the website on how to use it.

6. FWG

FWG Scout

Blog Posts:
    Beo-wolf, if you think you can recognize where you camped from the air (sat photos), use JoeFridays technique on your laptop or home computer to get the coordinates.

You can then enter those into your iphone, my gf has an iphone and her gps is amazing compared to my Garmin. Beware of battery drain!

We are all wishing we could hike back in with you and look. Been there, done that, for her necklace. Found it!

7. southernbayou

southernbayou Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The link below has everything you need to know my friend. If you start using your phone in the woods often, consider a waterproof case by Lifeproof. This setup--along with an AnkerĀ® Astro battery backup--has served me well for years now.

http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

hope it helps

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. Beo-wulf

Beo-wulf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    that is what I was looking for!
    Thanks

9. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Geocache.com has a free version. You can set up a free account online and set up a cach location as mentioned above. Or you can just open the iPhone maps app on the phone if you hike back to he location and save that location or hold the screen and drop a pin. However this will only work if you have either cell service there or your phone can still make a GPS link. I've been in spots I get nothing before. Alternatively you can look at the map from home and scroll it to where you were and drop a pin as well. Keep in mind that with the iPhone map app once you're off road it isn't a trail map and will select pretty much a straight line to the location.