Need new boots.

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Atkins72, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My old Asolo's are finally worn out and I need a good pair of all around boots.

I want full grain leather with a Goodyear style welt that can be resoled. Non insulated. And 6-8". Prefer made in America.

I have about $160 to spend. Looking at a pair of 8" Chippewa from cabelas.

Any other suggestions? Needs to be able to handle everything from working on concrete to the woods to the mountains while packing out an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was just in this position wanted leather and made in america couldn't find anything that fit that description for under $250 maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I ended up settling for timberland white ledge because they were so cheap on amazon. They are quite comfortable and seem to get fairly good reviews. If they wear out quickly I may drop more money on some danner boots but for now I am going to give these a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

3. Chief Walk Alone

Chief Walk Alone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I recently ordered a pair of Cabelas Outfitters 9inch goretex boot, its only been a couble of days but so far I like them.
    They have goretex(which iv already tested and completely waterproof), vibram soles, and full leather.
    The boot soles are stitched on which I like and they can be resoled.
    They dont weight that much either, and are breaking in nicely.
    So far i like them plus when I ordered mine they were on sale and at a fairly decent price.

4. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    Look at Red Wing. Most are made in USA, not sure about cost.

5. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So far I haven't found a pair of red wings that are what I want and in my price range.

6. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my Timberland leather hiking boots. Not made in USA though. Waterproof leather so I have to remember to maintain them. Two years now of hunting, hiking, fishing, and daily wear plus I wear them ski patrolling and when I'm at the base for a shift they're what I wear. On the snowmobile and in the snow at the base area they've been fine.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

7. giantslor

giantslor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would recommend these Chippewa Apaches with lug sole.

I have the non-lugged version, and I haven't taken them on any trails, but they've become my go-to boots for virtually everything else.

Hmm, it doesn't say these are made in USA, but I thought they were, because the non-lugged version is definitely made in the US.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. JRW87

JRW87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  9. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks but If I had $300 to spend I'd but another pair of my Asolo TPS 520's. best boots I've ever owned. 8 years of hard use and they are just now to the point if needing new soles. But because of the design they can't be properly resoled.

10. hastings

hastings Scout

Blog Posts:
  11. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my danners they are comfy and last forever also check out redwing boot co duper nice esp the logging series

12. JRW87

JRW87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just put them in there for an example, I wear Haix boots which might be more in your price range, I paid about $300NZD for mine so I'd imagine you could get them a lot cheaper in the US.

13. Kebne

Kebne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would like to suggest something different.

Lundhags! (made their first boots 1932)

Its a Swedish company that make boots according to the shell principle.
    No membrane that will brake but a boot the will last for a very long time, made in Sweden.

http://lundhags.se/boots/

14. JRW87

JRW87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've always liked the look of those boots.

15. onidah

onidah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Depending on what size you wear, you might be in luck. The following website has the Asolo TPS 520 GV Hiking Boots on sale for $216.74 with free shipping. Once I find a pair of boots that I like, I have a hard time switching, if the same boots are still being made. Since you got some great use out of the first pair, perhaps this lower price will help you reward Asolo with some more of your business (even though it is slightly more than the amount mentioned in your original post).

http://www.alssports.com/Product.aspx?pf_id=BBLFLAPHDKHBBBEI

They currently have the 8.5, 9, 10, 10.5, 13 and 14 in stock for the $216.74 price.

Onidah

16. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks all for the input. I wanted to try for American made. So I picked up a pair if the Chippewa 8" from cabelas. They are made Missouri and seem solid. I figure with cabelas return policy I don't have much to lose.

I'll wear them around the house for a week or so and then take them to the woods.

17. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Before you decide that the old boot can not be resoled contact these folks.

http://www.resole.com/

I have a pair of Timberland Pro's that "could not be resoled" I sent them off to Resole America and I got them back 10 days later with a new sole and good as new. Just sayin'......................

18. sasquatch

sasquatch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carolina Shoe (or whatever they are called) makes a heckuva boot. Cheaper than Chippewa (better Customer service in my experience as well). I have had my last pair for four years and they are still going strong, and I beat the heck out of em (they were work boots and my everyday boots for three of those years).

19. forgeblast

forgeblast Scout

Blog Posts:

20. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I just looked at the chippewa and I gotta say that's a nice pair of boots!

21. wilderman

wilderman Tracker

Blog Posts:
  22. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
  23. wilderman

wilderman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No, but quite often LL Bean will replace the entire boot with new if the soles wear out before the uppers.

24. Metalguy

Metalguy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of Scarpa full leather boots I LOVE!!! I found them online for $160, when they are usually $250. I also have a pair of Zamberlin which have turned out to be very very good boots. They were around the same price. I'm hard on boots with all of my outdoor activities and have come to realize I need to pay $200-250 right out the door to get a pair of boots to last more than a year. I used to do Vasque and Danner back when they were worth it, but sadly they moved the majority of their manufacturing to China. Good luck.

25. orangehero

orangehero Tracker

Blog Posts:
  26. Wise Old Owl

Wise Old Owl Native Texan

Blog Posts:
    Try the Vasque Sundowner. Great all leather boot. Been around for over 25 years. Good luck..........woo

27. mct453

mct453 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Danner mountain light.I have two pair and it took me awhile shopping on the web but paid less than 200 a pair.

28. AZExplorer

AZExplorer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another Danner fan here. They offer a pretty good military discount and tax free if you order through AAFES. I wear mine daily and they seem very well suited for all weather conditions from extreme Arizona heat to Alaskan moderate cold. The leather is double stitched and all of the eyelets are metal. The inserts they come with have great arch support and are the best out of any boot I have ever purchased. They also have all sizes in regular and wide so lots of fitting choices.

29. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Chippewa. <-- that's a Period.

30. Yankeewoodsman

Yankeewoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    jaypolaski
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    prestoclown
    Well, since Red Wings are out, how about a pair of Corcoran Field boots? Look like jump boots, but made from the same leather regular combats are (softer thicker stuff that doesn't need spit polishing. Double leather on the toe and heel, Vibram soles and DEFINITELY resolable. Quick laces too. I lived in mine in the service, and as a grunt, I put them through hell. 12 years later, I still beat the hell out of the SAME PAIR.

Here's a link to a list on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Corcoran-Mens-Field-Work-Boot/dp/B008M2284O

31. tleek

tleek Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was just searching for a new pair of boots. I wanted American made too and our budgets were about the same. I could not find anything. I got a pair of irish setters, made by red wing in china. They are actually really comfortable, but after an hour or so of up and down hills, the right boot rubbed the back of my ankle raw. I dont know what the problem is. Probably just need to get more broken in.

32. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have the cabelas guide boots. I think they are guaranteed for life. Great boots

33. JRW87

JRW87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape for any hot spots.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

34. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Chippewa's I bought are working great so far. Very Cindy and with a few coats of beeswax they are functionally water proof. No hotspots or blisters so far.

35. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just went through this and ended up reuniting with a old favorite.

I have worn out three pairs of Asolo's. I'm on my fourth pair (520's) in about 11 years. My problem is that every time I buy some, they seem to be heavier and more expensive than the last time. I wanted full leather, gore tex, and have just bought whatever Asolo had that fit the bill. They are one of two types of boots I have had that required no breaking in whatsoever. My Asolo's have been comfortable from day one. But - in my opinion the soles wear out very fast for a boot of this price. All of the old pairs in my closet have holes worn through the soles. (wore them every day, not just for woods time). And the 520's just seem to weigh a ton.

I have recently been making trips to for work to Dubai, and the thought of wearing those heavy boots in the sand made me rethink things. I rummaged around in the closet and found an old pair of Altama jungle boots. I wore these when I was active duty USMC in the 90's. They also wore out a little faster than the issue boots (softer soles), but were much more comfortable and less than half the price. Back then I was paying $39 a pair.

I started bringing the jungle boots to Dubai, and have been doing a lot of hiking out here (mostly mountains in Oman, and a little desert). They have performed great for me. The soles are not as stiff as the Asolo's, and that is a slight disadvatage in sharp rocks and mountain travel, but they are stiff enough and sooo much lighter and cooler. I have an old pair of goretex socks at home that I may add when I get back to Georgia for crossing small creeks in Cohutta. But for now, the $39 jungle boots are on my feet and the $270 Asolos are in the closet. At this price, if they wear out quickly, I'll just buy some more. In fact, I'll probably buy 2-3 pair. By the way, the other boot that I never had to break in - Altama Jungle Boots.

Everybody's feet are different. I couldn't stand Danners, but know guys that love them. I haven't tried the Redwings boots, but hear good things. What I have figured out is that more money doesn't equal better boot. I can afford whatever I want to put on my feet. Right now its cheap jungle boots because they are outperforming my formerly favorite brand.

36. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am in desperate need for a new year round boot,

but after reading this thread.. And seeing the prices.. I think I'm going to go with a pair of timberlands.

I would love to buy USA made, but its just too pricey from the looks of it.

37. Atkins72

Atkins72 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Chippewa's are doing great and they weren't too bad. Paid 175 from cabelas.

38. giantslor

giantslor Tracker

Blog Posts:
  39. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just found this website with a wide variety of boots with good prices, free shipping, and a good return policy:

www.discountedboots.com

I might order from here unless someone knows a better place?

I got to say, I'm leaning towards Chippewa , looks like they have the best looking boots made in USA for best prices.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  40. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    OK,

Time for full disclosure.

Last week I posted in this thread about how my old jungle boots were great etc ....

Friday I went on a hike on the UAE/Omani border.

I went here:

2013-02-03 069.jpg

up this:
    2013-02-03 070.jpg

And by the time we reached the top my boots looked like this:

2013-02-03 086.jpg
    2013-02-03 084.jpg

I you are paying attention you will notice that one pic is the left boot, and one is the right boot.
    I think the lesson is that boots will deteriorate sitting in a closet for years on end. They were fine at the beginning of the hike, and make a harder one last week. They have been out of storage for about a month, after sitting in the back of the closet for 14-15 years.

Been carrying that hank of parchute cord for years and really considered removing it before this hike. Glad I didn't.

41. borumas

borumas Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I bought these Justin's about 2 months ago http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Double_Comfort.html?424fccf8=763

They are "hand crafted in the USA" so they may have materials made overseas, they were $140 and so far I like them but I honestly have not put them to much of a test yet and they are still being broken in. For those wanting to buy an affordable boot that also helps employ Americans, you may want to give them a look.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  42. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Code Red, I just saw your post about your old Jungle boots coming apart. I had the same thing happen to me on a campout with a pair of Rocky boots that I had not worn all that much but were probably about eight years old. I guess the glue just aged out.

When I can afford a nice pair of boots, I'm going with something that has the sole sewed on (not just glued)!