New Benchmade 'Bushcraft' knife!

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by BigFootSurvival, Dec 12, 2012.

1. BigFootSurvival

BigFootSurvival Guide

Blog Posts:
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/162

Saw today that Benchmade came out with an AWESOME 'schrafty knife design. I LOVE the lines of this knife, and the steel as well. While I am not above spending that kind of cash on a quality, US-made blade, pulling it off on a college-student budget might not be the best idea. Aw well, maybe next year.:15:

2. ms3902

ms3902 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow that is a great looking blade.

3. Kenn

Kenn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Man that looks very nice little out of my price range but nice looking

4. M3mphis

M3mphis Scout

Blog Posts:
    S30V is an interesting choice for a "bushcraft knife."

5. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's all knife.

6. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You could get a custom blade for that or less from the bladesmiths here.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  8. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. I like that handle.

9. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love my Benchmade knifes. I think as production knifes go they are the best and seem to be a better quality than SOG or some of the other production brands. With that said I agree with the comments that stainless is an interesting choice for a bushcrafter. With a hardness of 58-60 it may not be too hard to properly sharpen. Every Benchmade I have owned came shaving sharp from the factory. I do like the more pronounced finger guard than most bushcrafters have. I think I will have to own one of these when they are available.

10. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The last thing I need is another knife, but I am tempted. I have been very very happy with the quality of all the Benchmades I have owned.

11. Lonewolf1

Lonewolf1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I kind of like it, $120 doesn't seem bad.

12. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ya that is pretty good. I did not notice that but if you enter the code before check out the price ends up being $120. I could not stand it and ordered one. For that price you can't go wrong.

13. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Guide

Blog Posts:
  14. askari

askari Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up. Nothing better than a new knife to start the New Year.....

15. Meathunter

Meathunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up, but going to pass on this one big time, the Spyderco Bushcraft if far FAR sexier.

16. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I can't write it off entirely without getting my hands on one, but what I'm seeing elicits an overwhelming..."meh." Thick stock with a conventional saber grind, super boxy looking scales (especially at the butt) and why the heck did they use titanium tubing for the handle fasteners? Since it's not competing in the ounce-shaving department all that does is raise the cost--Ti tubing is made crazy expensive. It's also about 5 years late.

Just my opinion, though. I fully commend anyone who likes it. It's just really not for me at all.

17. Zini

Zini Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Always been a Benchmade fan and this is one really slick looking blade.

18. Dutchman

Dutchman SDO Proud. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Dang, that thing is sexy! I honestly expected it to be more in the $350 range. Hmmm....

19. Airth

Airth Scout

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade is a company I respect greatly--they even make all their own hardware, and they back up their product.

But....$200? Madness! Even $100 is in the high range for me...I wouldn't want to take it out and dirty it up.

20. Kevinthewise

Kevinthewise Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like the knife but, its out of my price range for now. But i might pick one up down the road.

21. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When you break it down, I tend to agree with the above statement. Except the part about it being 5 years late. It's never too late to add a knife to the collection.
    As a matter of fact, later is better! Late at night when my wife is sleeping is actually the best time for me to add to my collection.

If you are still itching to get one, Knife Center is quoting $140.00 according to the e-mail they sent me.

22. Birch

Birch Scout

Blog Posts:
    wowzers! I purchased a Turley for less than that! sweet knife, but I think your cash is better spent on something else. If you're not into waiting for a custom piece, maybe an F1? or a bark river... mmm bark river...

23. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    If its $120 you aren't getting a brkt or anything thing in that range the turkeys start and $450 if you could order one and sell used not in the $575-465 range.

24. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Where was the one that showed $120 and what was the code. Thanks

25. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    What code and which shop. Thx

26. Lonewolf1

Lonewolf1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  27. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much. :)

28. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bit costly for me. I dont think I would ever get past the cradle phase of a knife that expensive.

29. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Benchamde (which was the first expensive knife I ever bought) but they have a tendancy to aggervate me. I fall in love with one of there models and eventually lose it or it just seems to walk off, and I can't buy a new one because the model is discontinued.

30. FortyTwoBlades

Blog Posts:
    By 5 years too late I mean it from a marketing/business standpoint. They've missed the peak of the recent bubble of "bushcraft knives" being trendy in the larger market where this design would have netted them stronger sales. Our little community here may appreciate it but I wouldn't expect that model to be around more than a couple of years. I could be wrong and it'll be a strong item for them but I think that in terms of maximizing the lifecycle of the product, they're essentially releasing a knife that's already in the late maturity phase of its market.

31. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like it and I love the sheath but for that price I would have something hand forged, carbon steel (not stainless), and customized for me.

32. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    My knives don't start at $450.00
    Knives in this size range without a pommel plate (like this one) start at $220.00
    I think you're confusing what they bring on the secondary market versus what I charge.

I like that benchmade, pretty nice looking knife.

33. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Sorry Iz I should have prefaced that with the green river model. I think that on the website in the store the prices have been at $450. And no negative intention on that. They are worth the money. Paul who won the auction the other day is thrilled. Said its his favorite knife. It's the last knife on my must have list. This looks like a winner at $120. The boker plus bushcraft at $54 is a great deal too.

34. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Also sorry about turkeys. The iphone 5 has the worst keyboard yet on an iphone and the autocorrect is just as horrible.

35. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    I think they list that as a 4.5 inch blade too so I was comparing it in blade size to the green rivers. My bad sorry. Size not quality.

36. Iz

Blog Posts:
    For a green river yes, they are higher. But for a knife in this size range with no pommel plate they aren't. No negative intention taken, just trying to correct bad information is all.

http://www.turleyknives.com/apps/webstore/

37. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Understood just missed prefacing the model. I fell in love with the green river and everyone says two things. First the handle shape and geometry makes it an ergonomic cutter with a great power strike and the blade geometry makes is a great slicer. On the flip side what is your favorite model is there one you carry more.

38. Iz

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, man. If you don't mind , shoot me a pm so we don't clog up this thread. I don't want to derail it anymore than I have.

39. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This thread is about Benchmade. Iz's subforum is a good place to ask that question

40. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just want a sheath like that for my Mora and my BK16.
    :)

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

41. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I have been up for over 24 hours working duly noted apologies issued. Got carried away. Anyone have any idea when they will release it.

42. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't you sell Condor Kephart knives in your store? A 100+ year old design. Seems if Condor can profit from a design that old then Benchmade being 5 years down the line from the original concept has them 20 times more up to speed than the company you sell. LOL :4:

43. FortyTwoBlades

Blog Posts:
    With respect, I don't think you quite understand what I'm getting at--we're talking totally different companies and products here, at least from a marketing standpoint. Benchmade chases a different sector of the market than Condor does. The company's positioning is quite different and that is likely going to impact the success of the model. I'm not saying that they won't have success with it, just that they're very late to enter that sector of the knife market and I don't think that the model will be as successful for them as it would have been if they had jumped on board at the rise of the bubble. There's still demand for premium bushcrafting knives, but that demand is not as large or widespread as it was a few years ago. I see this as a case of "too little too late" but it'll still make them money.

While I think they missed the mark (just my opinion) in a few areas in the design department, the larger point I was making was one about marketing and the advantage to the business generated by the release of the model. I'm sure the knife will sell, but their sales figures will suffer from their laggardly entrance and we all know Benchmade tends to have an itchy trigger figure when it comes to discontinuing models. :p

44. Niflreika

Niflreika Guide

Blog Posts:
    FortyTwo is right about the market Benchmade services.

They make some of the highest-quality production knives there are. They are not semi-custom, they are full-on high tech knives. They cannot be properly compared to a low-end market targeter like Condor, or to customs like the Turleys, nor semi-customs like Busse and Bark River.

Also note that the 162 Bushcrafter is in their "Blue Line", which is their upscale line, using the more advanced steels, higher grade components (like titanium tubes), etc. Their lower grade line is their "Black Line" -- they discontinued their foreign made "Red Line". Their other lines are almost semi custom and boutique lines.

Their Blue Line is aimed at people for whom buying a $200 knife is like you buying a $20 condor.

Know what market this knife is aiming at? The market that buys Falknivens. MSRP is right in line with the Falk H1 and S1 -- and right between the size of those two models. Street price of $120-130 puts it in at the price of the F1, H1 and S1, depending on where you shop. The sheath is nicer than Falkniven's.

Stainless? OK, so what's the real problem with modern stainlesses? This isn't low-grade 420. Modern stainless steels are both hard and tough. Practical concerns? OK, a flint won't strike a spark off of it (people carry strikers for that), a sharp edge will strike a fire steel, stainless or not (many fire steels come with a striker for that, too). Sharpening? Yes, you will need a diamond "stone" and/or ceramic hone. A couple of DMT Diafolds going from coarse to ultra fine, and a ceramic hone weight less all together than most common sharpening stones. People into the most modern gear won't mind using them, either.

I carry Benchmades on a daily basis, and performance-wise, YES, they are worth what they go for (especially if you buy them from dealers, often at a significant discount over MSRP).

Are they worth it aesthetically? That is, once again, in the eye of the buyer.

If someone doesn't like them because they aren't cheap, that's not the knife's problem, and diminishes its abilities not in the least.

45. xRangerx

xRangerx Turley Club# 177 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well said Niflreika

46. FortyTwoBlades

Blog Posts:
    Agreed--well said. I must make one small correction, though, and that's that the Black Class line is the Benchmade line mostly marketed towards military and public safety professionals. Their Blue Class line is their "bread and butter" line designed for their largest market share and contains the largest variation of designs and specific targeted market segments. Their Gold Class line is their collector line. :)

47. Sammer

Sammer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I still don't get the hangup with stainless steel. S30V is a hardworking steel, that you almost have to try to stain or get to rust, and in my experience holds a great edge, on large and smaller blades. Unless my memory fails me, didn't we go through this same deal a decade or two ago with everybody saying carbon steel was outdated, and low-tech, and the steel of "yesterday?" Benchmade is using one of the hottest steels going right now, and I doubt many users are going to turn up dead because their knife failed to throw sparks from a rock. How many "survival scenarios" have ever hinged on that one thing alone? Let's not forget, there is a difference between Bushcraft and survival, as has been discussed quite a bit here. This is a Bushcraft knife. I'm just saying I would be hard pressed to find a single thing 1095 will do, that S30V can't do just as well if not better in this application.

48. FortyTwoBlades

Blog Posts:
    Yup! S30V is good stuff. I think most folks who are worried about it being brittle are basing their opinion on their experience with pocket knives, which tend to have harder heat treatment than fixed blades.

49. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Or some people just have a taste preference for carbon over stainless its kinda hard to get that nice patina on S30V.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  50. BigFootSurvival

BigFootSurvival Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for echoing my sentiments exactly man, I feel the same way. I love both 1095 and S30V.