New Benchmade 'Bushcraft' knife!

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by BigFootSurvival, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CodyKenobi

CodyKenobi Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I can't seem to find it. :/

2. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    Woodlore is very much one person's (ok maybe 2) interpritation of what a bushcraft knife may be and there seems to be a premium paid. It's not even to the original make/designer.

Don't be fooled by the myth. It's just a knife designed to cut wood more often than anything else

plenty of other cheaper options out there. Custom or not....

3. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the basic shape, the sheath also looks good. I can't say I like the double bevel blade though. The main thing is the price is a bit high for a production fixed blade.

I would go for a BHK or a custom maker for that price point. It is good to see another bushcrafty knife from a major maker though. Anyone that prefers the blade grind style would like this one.

4. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The more I look at this blade the more I think I need to order one and try it out.

5. colter

colter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seems like every company I see is hopping on the "bushcraft" gear/ knife bandwagon these days. Looks like a decent knife though.

6. Scroggins

Scroggins Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    It's profitable!

7. Mudman

Mudman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Design looks good. Think I'll pick one up when available.

8. johnsonga

johnsonga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ... ever try to sharpen a lightsaber in the field?

9. Whisper Creek

Whisper Creek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If that was a Scandi, Convex, or FFG, It would be mine...

10. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Its a beautiful production knife, but I think it's a tad too thick, and a full flat grind would be better in my opinion.

11. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    S30V has 1.45% Carbon / O-1 has 0.9% Carbon

You are correct on the carbon issue. From A.G. Russell:

High-Carbon

A steel with .5 Carbon or more, the term high carbon steel is often used to mean a non stainless steel; this is not a proper use as all stainless knife steel is also high carbon.

Stainless Steel

The only stainless that will not rust is used in sinks and hospital fittings. Any stainless that will hold an edge will be subject to humidity, salt and acid fluids. (Stainless means just that when applied to knives, It stains less).

12. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've found very few people put in the time or energy to truely learn about knives and the meterals from which they are made. It is one of the main reasons the Mora blades are so common. It's like many other things on the net, if people say it enough times it becomes true. :)

It's not that mora's are bad or that non-stainless is best. People heard it, didn't research why the comments were made and took them at face value. Many of those things no longer apply but people keep repeating them and others believing them.

The Mora blade isn't a bad desigh and the materals are as expected from a $10 knife. If the same design were made from better steel and handle materal it would be a much better knife and far more dependable and functional in the woods.

13. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thats funny. But remember while you are resharpening I am still cutting. hehe

14. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So bottom line is ;
    1---- Do I go with the ease of sharpening, and resharpen more often, or,
    2---- Do I go with a little harden to sharpen, and resharpen less.
    Sharpening seems to be the only valid reasons for not choosing a quality stainless because I don't think I am going to be striking my knife blade to see if it will throw a spark, and any stainless will work on a firesteel as long as it has a sharp edge. JMO

15. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    s30v is not a pain to sharpen. In fact all you really need is a a bit of leather and some compound. If you look at the link I provided you'll see if isn't much differnent than AUS8 or even 440C.

16. Joezilla

Joezilla Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like an awesome design. In my experience, I would rather have 440C over S30V because it is easier to sharpen. If I have a spyderco double stuff, I make sure to hit my S30V knives up just a little bit, about every week, depending on usage. That is just to make sure it is still hair popping. Why? Because I've dealt with dull s30V, and will not do it again. Also have dealt with it in, full tang, and Scandi, re-affirming my personal choice, but I can't say that until I get this knife in my hands. I've never had a benchmade I didn't like.

17. Whisper Creek

Whisper Creek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thats why I love O-1 lol

18. tknife

tknife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks great, and Shane Sibert makes excellent knives. I don't like S30V too much though, just too hard to sharpen for me.

19. AlexD

AlexD Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have you guys seen the SHOT show videos of this knife? The scales are sculpted (hollowed) toward the back and also in the front for your thumb. More ergonomic and less "blocky" than I thought looking at early pics. Pleasantly surprised.

I thought they were supposed to ship in late december? Anyone receive one yet or have a new ship date?

Alex

20. Oak

Oak Scout

Blog Posts:
    S30V isn't hard to sharpen at all, I have never used Benchmades version but I doubt its too hard.

21. NGshooter17

NGshooter17 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good looking knife.

22. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, It seems some have not yet acquired the art of sharpening and are missing out on the benefits of these steels.

23. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not a word. I will ask the place I preordered from when they will ship.

24. Stainz

Stainz Scout

Blog Posts:
    No. 1 son gave me something I really wasn't fond of for Christmas, saying I could take it back to the locally owned outdoor store it came from if I wasn't pleased. I visited the store 1-5-13 - and they had just gotten in two of the Benchmade 162 Bushcrafters - I left with one of them after adding a few denaros to the store credit. Here it is with my favorite pocket knife from last year, a BM 482 Megumi:

[​IMG]

And here it is with my other favorite Sibert designed BM - my 24/7 EDC - a 755 MPR:

[​IMG]

I like the Bushcrafter - it's odd forward palm swell actually felt good in my medium+ sized hand after some 'extended' use. It's edge was even and sharp - perhaps they took a bit more time with the first 500 they made. I like the knife - but only bought it due to the large store credit. It is handsome - and the sheath is finely made and well fitted, save the 3/8" firesteel loop - it's a tad long - but a large LMF fits fine. I like the spear point capability - don't know when/if I'd ever lash it to a pole, but neat capability nonetheless. I still haven't done an extensive test... it worked well thus far - and is a well-made beauty. I guess, sad to admit, I spend too much time fine-tuning my other Christmas present - a Condore Bushlore. Yep - a $28 knife over a $159 knife... it's like a challenge, of sorts. The BM's prettier...

Stainz

25. AlexD

Blog Posts:
    Update:

I just got an email from knifeworks on my pre-order- the status has been changed to payment received. I assume this means they are shipping out now.

Alex

26. edonald78

edonald78 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I sure hope that you get a chance to post an extensive review. I have been eying this knife since December when I first heard about it.

27. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    That's a good looking knife, Stainz. :dblthumb:

28. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    They answered my email and said "These are shipping out today and tomorrow."

We should have them soon.

29. Diptothewoods

Diptothewoods Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i'd rather just get a custom made or a blind horse knives blade or bark river.

30. AlexD

Blog Posts:
    I have those as well. It is a bit of an addiction I must say. To each their own of course.

31. 19112TAP

19112TAP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had good luck with my Benchmade knives in the past and this is a good looking knife to.

32. CodyKenobi

CodyKenobi Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If I made much more money than I do now, I'd have this thing. Not because its the coolest knife in the world, but because its different. Its US made, Solid company, I like the steel, and mostly just because it would be fun and interesting to give it a shot. Not too much money. But like so many have said, if I had to choose, i'd pick something else over it. Luckily for some, they get to choose all of them.

I may have it one day, but its not top 3 on the list.

33. gstrand

gstrand Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade doing a notch cut test with it...

[video=youtube;3ntmZKvsvVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ntmZKvsvVA[/video]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  34. Unicoi

Unicoi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got to get me one of those Benchmade dead blow hammers.
    Cool video. Thanks for posting it up.

35. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Got Mine Today

Today the USPS brought my Benchmade Bushcrafter to me. The knife feels great to hold and the blade is VERY sharp. I was already a huge fan of S30V steel, and this one just further convinces me that it is worth the higher price. The sheath is okay, not great. It will do. I added a belt loop to the D ring on the back to make it a dangler type sheath(this seemed odd that Benchmade didn't do it to start with) Overall, I think that this will be a good addition to the stable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  36. AlexD

Blog Posts:
    I got mine today as well. Agree that it is unique. Sturdy to say the least! I will likely sand some of the sharp edges off the handle but I'm liking it so far. Something different.

Alex

37. acara

acara Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine was waiting for me when I got home.

Looks good so far

38. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Picked up one at a knife show for $150 new in box. It's 433 of 500 in the first production run. It's nice and agree on the sharp edges but I think it's crazy at $200 retail. It's probably really worth $120 as a production knife. Nice but I can get a nice custom for a little more than $200. Picked up this oeser new for $250 in o1 just recently

image-2334760722.jpg

39. shumanlives

shumanlives Scout

Blog Posts:
    The knife is very nice. The handle isn't as big as I thought it looked and feels great. I have small hands and it fits well. The sheath design is not the best. When I insert the blade, it fits so tight that the blade edge is cutting into the leather. Also, the snap requires two hands to work. I hope it will loosen over time, but it's not easy to close. I bought this as my winter hiking knife so I wanted something that I didn't have to worry as much about rust forming.

40. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I ordered mine today so hopefully I'll have it by this weekend.

41. g.macdonnell

g.macdonnell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any reviews yet?

New member here- hi guys!
    I've been looking at this knife for awhile as well. I have an Esee 4 that I just love, but I live basically in the swamp, so aside from a lot of water, I've got crazy humidity levels. I prefer a carbon tool steel knife usually, but for practical EDC, I've been looking for a small, 4"-6" stainless. And I freely admit, I'm a huge fan of Benchmade's folders, (I just spent $107 for the Axis 300sn, and have been really heavy-EDCing it for a few weeks, and love it, tho i'm not a "flipper" guy.)

Anyway, I've noticed that the online prices of Benchmade's tends to vary a lot. For example, a shop here in LA, (state, not city,) gives an online discount that makes the Bushcraft 162 a very reasonable $130[/B]. They don't have it in stock at the moment but said it will be in shortly.

in the meantime, I'd love to hear anything more about the knife's performance. I'm also considering the Ontario SK-5 Blackbird, (hate those sheaths, tho,) and the Tops Pasayten Light Traveller, (I only handled it briefly and it's ergos weren't instantly "right" for my hand,) and the Tops Tactical Steak Knife, (dumb name, yeah, and 440C steel which I like just ok, but it's $65.)

From what I've seen so far, the main question I have regarding the Benchmade is over it's saber grind, (I tend to prefer FFG.) And I prefer handle slabs that are removable, in case the knife falls into saltwater, or gets filthy. That said, with S30v and vulcanized spaces, I'm not sure this will be an issue, and Benchmade's customer service and warranty work has always been one of the best, imho.

Anyway, glad to be hear and hope to hear back from you fellas! Peace!

42. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got my 162 last week and absolutely love it so far :cool:

I used it Friday to prep food for dinner, slicing both meat and vegetables. It work great.

I used it yesterday to butcher a chicken with, again it worked great for that task as well.

Then yesterday afternoon I used it to help with firewood prep for our wood stove... Again great!

I'm not a big batoning guy, but I thought I'd try it just to put her thru the paces.

I busted down some kindling with it in no time. It handled great and was very efficient in the task.

And just to add...

It truly is a beautiful knife. The fit and finish is perfect!

I like the sheath as well, I wore it around all day yesterday and never even noticed that it was there.

I cut and split firewood and just did basic chores around all day, it was ver comfortable to wear.

If anyone's 'on the fence' about this knife... I say GO FOR IT ;)

43. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    I like the 162 over the black bird. The only two things and if you research it the handle is block and needs to be sanded downbeat the pad of the index finger also the sheath while a great design leaves something to be desired in leather quality. The other knife to check out is the boker plus bushcraft its allot of knife for $50 and us 440c if you have the cash ho for the 162.

44. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought one too last week. I'm at home with a back injury , so not much outdoor schraftin' , but the playing around I've done with this knife just blows me away in it's performance and feel. I had some doubts about the handle when I first saw pics , but not anymore. That slight forward swell really works well with my hands. This handle is awesome ; I love it. Totally different than my Spyderco bushcrafter , which I think is one of the best fixed-blade handles ever , but this Benchmade magically works somehow. The blade being S30V is tough as heck , sharpens up on my Diamond stones easy and the fact that it's pretty much a flat grind blade with a primary bevel on it means not a lot of steel to take off to do it. This blade has great potential to be my grail knife. Time and hard use will tell. Definitely a modern take on a bushcraft knife , but one that's pretty impressive so far. Can't wait to hit the woods with it to really put the gears to it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  45. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, there's no question about it...
    So far, I'm thoroughly impressed too :)

It may just be the knife that I've been looking for :cool:

46. g.macdonnell

g.macdonnell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like it's a great knife. I actually don't usually mind larger, blockier handles, b/c I've got long fingers. (Maybe that's why I love the Benchmade 300sn when other guys think it's too thick.)

From what you guys are saying, Benchmade has done a good job with this knife. I love S30V steel; it's pricey, (check out the prices for plain knife blanks!) but imho it's got an almost ideal blend of toughness, edge retention and stain resistance.

It's good to head the comparison to the Blackbird. I thought the Blackbird looked like a great knife, and the steel is almost as nice, but Benchmade's quality has always been the best as far as knives that I can actually afford, (though I've also been looking at those sweet Bark River & Blackjack knives...)

Do you think Skystorm will be making a leather sheath for it anytime soon? :6: Some guys seem to love the Benchmade sheath, and others say it's not the best execution.

I feel a hit to the checking account coming along... The one consolation is, I actually DO need a new knife! (At least, that's what I keep telling myself.)

Thanks guys, and anymore insights would really be appreciated. Take care!

47. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    big handle fine blockie is okay this tends to really dig into your hand when using it quite a bite. I have some knives the handle is so sweet you can use it ll day long not pressure like the bhk plsk1 or bushcrafter or the brkt bravo 1 or 1.5 or aurora tis needs just a smidge sanded off and its perfect

48. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used mine again tonight to make some more kindling for the wood stove.
    I forgot to mention earlier that it also makes great feather sticks without a problem ;)

49. tim martin

tim martin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like the look of it. but the price turns me off. I will stick with my condor for now

50. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up mine from BladeHQ for $136.99.