New contest coming up! Swedish fire stove.

Discussion in 'Fire' started by kcardwel, Feb 10, 2013.

?

Should we continue the contest longer?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2013.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    New contest coming up! Swedish fire stove. It's here now!

Is there going to be any interest in this or should I scrap it...too much trouble? finding a log the right size and dryness? Let me know...need 5 to make it worthwhile. March 15th at 6:00 is the deadline
    Just some preliminaries first; then I give a demo with more specifications and then you try it. Have two knives(folders...one friction...one spydie and a whistel for the prizes) Spyderco is a Gin-1 all serrated rescue style, orange scales, fricition folder is more of a custom that I can't find who made it. Whistle is just an orange rescue whistle. I have made a swedish stove and they work very well but I made a big one with a chain saw, etc. Here are some preliminaries...piece of wood of your choosing cannot be over 7" in diameter and down to 4 1/2". Can't be more than 16" in height. no power tools allowed...you need to split the wood into 4 pieces close as you can to the same size and then put it back together in the way you see fit. no accelerants, fat wood, birch bark but any other wood, shavings can be used. My idea of this is that one should be able to use tools in their backpack to make this...saw, axe, cord, etc. The ultimate to win is to get one cup of water boiling the fastest put on the top. the container can be of your choosing. Trying to not make this too technical(last one was) so that more people will try it and probably something that some have never done before. I think they are fun to make and pretty impressive. you can practice as much as you want and I would advise it but only one video counts posted. If I were you I would play around with wood you think would work better and just test things out. that is why I am going to go slow on this. I will post pics of the prizes soon...tomorrow or the next day. And then show my video of one way you can do it. This is open to international membes as well especially since the idea I believe came from Sweden. You can start looking at vids of swedish fire stoves to get ideas but there will be certain requirements on limits on this one, dimensions, tools used, accelerants, and how it is lit. Time starts when you first light it and stops when you show the water is a rolling boil. There may be more prizes but probably it will go to just the first place unless a tie.
    PICK YOUR WOOD WELL :) PLEASE DO THIS IN VIDEO FOR THE MAJOR PART. ACCOMPANING PICUTRES WOULD BE FINE AS WELL.This should be fun so get your knives sharp your axes shined and your twine ready.
    Ok have decided on the prizes and these are biggies! Will be a second place and first place. First place is the drover bhk knife and second is the three spoken of already. here they are!
    first place:used but in super shape and very sharp edge...little patina on it but any bushcraft person would be proud to own this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    second place
    [​IMG]
    [video=youtube;G_bcSrE2UZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_bcSrE2UZo[/video]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. xj35s

xj35s Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    your choosing cannot be over 7" in diameter and down to 4 1/2". Can't be more than 16" in height.

I'm confused by the 4 1/2". I thought a log 7" diameter and 4 1/2" tall. Then I read 16" limit. 7 x 6" okay to use?

Can a cotton ball be used to light the kindling? Not necessary but it would save me trekking through 2' of snow for some birch bark.

I'm going to do this in my fire place too. Hope that's not cheating. LOL.

3. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    no accelerants, fat wood, birch bark but any other wood, shavings can be used.

4. Mukluk

Mukluk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey X, I read that to mean the diameter of the log could range from 4 and 1/2 inches to 7 inches in diameter, and up to 16" in height. And no cotton balls...
    Hope that helps.

5. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    yes Mukluk is right; diameter of the log can go from 4 1/2 to 7"...height can go up to 16"...no cotton balls. I would encourage you to do this at home if you can't get out to do it as long as your burn restrictions allow it. These don't act as precarious as a full blown fire. I haven't picked my log so not sure if I will be out in the bush, bring it home or just what yet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Grillsgt

Grillsgt Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Are you sayng that the fat wood and birch bark are not to be used? They are natural tinders.

7. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    yes, saying no birch bark or fatwood for two reasons: some peopel just can't get ahold of them and also want you to concentrate on the log you have and other wood curls, pencil size wood, etc. normally I would use fatwood myself in a situation like this but to be even in the contest we will not allow it. one thing (not realistic necessarily out in camping situation) would be to split your log into the four pieces and wait a day and let it air out too and then put back together....even bringing it in where there is warmth might help.

8. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    this boy has a good video at the bottom of this page for some good hints...you don't have to bind the four pieces together if you don't want....if you don't make sure you put your log on something dry so the tinder in the cracks doesn't get exposed to anything wet. putting the two sticks to allow for more air was good as well as having a lid for you cup or pot so it contains the heat better.
    http://twistedsifter.com/2012/01/how-to-make-a-stove-from-a-single-log/

9. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    this guy does it a different way...quite a bit of work and uses a wet log(which may be all you have if you are out and about). One thing I would suggest since time is important is to use a match or lighter to light your tinder and I would light both tinder cuts in the two directions to get it going faster. I like the way he make a feather stick and put it in so it stuck out from both sides.
    [video=youtube;J7x2yV3eHr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7x2yV3eHr8[/video]

10. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    ok, here is my vid. learned a few things making a smaller one like this so good that I got to doing one of these. Pick your wood well; make sure everything is dry, make sure you give your fire enough oxygen, use whatever you want for tinder inside...I found that packing it too tight keeps out the oxygen, pack to halfway and light from the top, put your pot on any time but put it on a couple of sticks to raise it up to keep allowing oxygen to your fire and most of all have FUN :)
    contest will go to March 15, Friday at 6:00 pm pacific time. International members are welcome and this is only open to bushcraft forum members. Oh and jute twine is allowed as tinder or tying the stump together as well as 550 cord or whatever rope you like.
    My time was 9:40. also a good point to realize it only took about 3 and a half minutes for the water to boil once I had put the pan on so that is darn good. also the time starts once you light your tinder IN or ON the stump. I said it a little early on mine. You can light your match but it isn't until you actually get the tinder lit on the stump.
    One more important thing: Must have at least 5 people entering because of the value of the prizes.
    [video=youtube;G_bcSrE2UZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_bcSrE2UZo&sns=em [/video]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  11. pilsburythrowboy12

pilsburythrowboy12 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll be posting my entry soon

KC,

I think the members are so floored by the prizes up for grabs that's the reason for the superficially slow start. You have my thanks for the ever impressive generosity you've exhibited here!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    Is there going to be any interest in this or should I just scrap it...too much trouble? finding a log the right size and dryness? Let me know...need 5 to make it worthwhile.

13. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am interested and will be trying this. Tomorrow is my day off and I plan to do it in the afternoon. I have to try and choose my tools wisely. I really only have 1 small axe and one crappy large one. Hand saws I have but they aren't great at rip cutting so much. I also need to find my camera charger....sigh

14. Loogaroo

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  15. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    you didn't give a link or anything.

16. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Im in for trying it out. I love that you actually make people "try" to win your contests, instead of just "im in".:dblthumb:

17. Boot1990

Boot1990 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm In to give this one a try. looks fun so I'm not concerned if I win but it would be cool to do well on this.

18. kelly24179

kelly24179 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will be doing it but I don't know about making a video I will see what I can do. Thanks

19. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just have to wait till next week when I have time off. Im planning on going out wednesday and giving this a try.

Thanks

20. Hoarfrost

Hoarfrost Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I tried this yesterday and failed! I started the fire fine, but couldn't get the log to get going. One thing I was definitely doing wrong was packing in too much tender. This really drives home the point that I need to practice my firecraft skills, luckily it was a sunny day- I need to practice so I can do it when everything is on the line!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  21. Loogaroo

Blog Posts:
  22. Kenton

Kenton Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in on this one. Quick question about the water. Are we making the amount (oz) of water to be boiled standard? i.e. 12oz, 20oz, 6oz. That will be a very large factor. If this was addressed i missed it and sorry for the dumb question. Thanks.

23. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Another question are we limited in the number of splits we can do? Are we limited to just the 2 splits or can we do 3 or 4 or more?

24. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    He has said 4 pieces of wood.
    So split it twice.

25. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    no; neither...it would be just 8 0z. a cup.

26. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    yes, just the 4 pieces.

27. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    good idea in some ways and some ways not...less table possibly but easier to make since you would have the smaller wood more available. point is too though you don't have to have the 7" diameter...you can go a lot lest if you like. looks like he has one larger piece or two there too and then a bunch of smaller split wood pieces.. I think if you can get the tinder started it should vent better than his because he has to tie them pretty tight to keep them together. Just my thoughts and may not be right. anyway; contest is 4 pieces in the diamter and length of what you choose up to the limits I gave.

28. Grillsgt

Blog Posts:
    I'm in on this one, I'm going to give it a try this weekend

29. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good guys. on the fail hoarfrost you did about what i did...you need to pack loosely and also not to have the 4 pieces tied to tight together. that way more oxygen can get in there. think the boy in that earlier video had it right in that he had coarse stuff on the bottom and the finest on the top. coarse to finer. light the finer stuff on top. use the tinder you know that we will work good for you too unless you practice with a new one first. Just was out in the desert today and did a vid on where to find the tinder and then lighting it at the last. tried the rabbit brush tops by themselves for my first time and usually I combine them with other stuff. found they light fine so practicing is good :)

30. AdamDavidson

AdamDavidson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In!

Thanks for the Saturday activity inspiration! I'm in.

31. Grillsgt

Blog Posts:
    My attempt at a Swedish torch

Here's my submission for the Swedish torch contest
    My log was from a fur tree I got from my neighbor
    It measured 4 3/4 across and 9 1/2 in long
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And one cup of water. Just a note, it was 33° f here in Utah
    [​IMG]
    Here are my videos
    [video=youtube;0R3IIEm1MCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3IIEm1MCI&sns=em [/video]
    [video=youtube;5_dnh_IeHTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dnh_IeHTs&sns=em[/video]

32. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    Good job. I got you at 10:05.4. was a little worried if the fire would burn your twine and then everything would fall apart but it held tough:)
    Fun huh?
    You picked a good wood. It really popped when you hit it.
    Ok, guys....need 4 more now or more.

33. Loogaroo

Blog Posts:
    I did this yesterday and had a failure to burn. Olive wood was the log. I managed to pull a muscle in my shoulder blade area before this and won't be able to try again. I'm having a hard time even moving. Great contest, wish I could participate.

34. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    that is a real bummer you hurt your shoulder. Get well quick!

35. Beginnersbushman

Beginnersbushman Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sorry Ken, I just saw this post. I have been wanting to try this ever since I saw jclmd's vid. Your awesome prizes are great incentive. I'll be in on this one.. Thanks for the great challenge!

36. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    Good deal; it is a fun one....not so much skill hard but "planning" hard.

37. Loogaroo

Blog Posts:
    It was the stupidest simplest thing. I wanted to see how strong a staff was so I bent it against the ground and pulled my muscle. Can't believe it hurts so much. I didnt even put that much effort into it. :15:

38. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just made my swedish fire stove with the help from my son Nik camera man

I used a cedar log split four ways with pine and cedar shavings took a few secs to get started but once it lit wow talk bout fast. I can see my self using this method at camp very simple and effective my videos are almost done being uploaded so one min 2013-02-17_09-36-51_137.jpg 2013-02-17_09-37-42_166.jpg [video=youtube_share;oF4F3Q55RE4]http://youtu.be/oF4F3Q55RE4[/video]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  39. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    Got your pm. not sure how you put them together. you must have had a first part. Is that the part that is not being uploaded? or was it all one and that is the only part you had up. Looks like a real success.

40. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My first part isnt uploading right ill try to figure it out took 6 min to boil

41. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    wow, that is fast! hope you can get it uploaded. If not if you can put another one out there. sure you will have success if you did that one so well.

42. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    [video=youtube;oQCHhzDpsTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQCHhzDpsTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

43. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    was that the whole vid? at the last was that boubles? couldn't quite get what you said.

44. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    2013-02-17_10-54-53_865.jpg This was first part then add the other i took a still shot ill add now 2013-02-17_10-54-48_924.jpg

45. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    Got it :) two added together is 6:27.7....super job!

46. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bump come on people its easy give it a try made breakfast off one this am two egg's n bacon

47. Beginnersbushman

Beginnersbushman Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Gonna give it a go soon. Was gonna do it today, but got rained on. Put my log and prep in the garage to keep it all dry. maybe tomorrow.

48. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dunno what your time-frame on this is .. But, if it is still 'open' in a couple months, I will post an entry.
    (I made a couple of these last summer, with varying degrees of success - however, both did in fact work, and at least as "proof of concept" it is definitely a viable skill to develop)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~ Joe Be Mobile ~~

49. kcardwel

Blog Posts:
    mtnman; have it down until March 15th but if more think they need more time it is fine. we'll see when it gets closer. I know some need the weekend since they work during the day and don't have time in the evenings.

50. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tried today but I had zero luck with finding only damp wood today. Going to try again sunday.