New Esee 6

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Jon308, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    My new Esee 6 arrived with mollie back and pouch, From Knifeworks, great people, great service. The Esee 6 is very well made all gear bolt together and fits like a glove. Sheath comes with plate for belt carry. Knife is very secure in sheath and very sharp so far I really like it quality seems great. Anybody looking for a good quality American made knife check out Esee for sure. Will put it through its paces and review with pics later.

2. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    I looked at the 6, but decided on the Laser Strike instead. Really, it was an impulse buy. I convexed the edge (which I find much easier to maintain). I also squared the back. Can't imagine a knife designed for field craft and especially fire making without having a squared, "sharp" back. I've played with it a bit, but I'm anxious for a little more woods time...perhaps after Easter. The LS is my first "big" knife. (It's only a little more than 5"). I find my BRKT Bravo 1 easier to use for feather sticks and push cuts-same for my Moras- but I think I'd be more inclined to treat the Esee a bit rougher. The 6 I looked at was beautiful, but was more knife than I wanted (now-:)). I'll be anxious to see your review.

PC

3. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to Team ESEE :42:
    You bought a quality hard-use tool !
    The 6 is a superb knife - enjoy it.

4. harley1903

harley1903 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I Have 4 ESEE Blades. I Love Them. Great Company And Great Product. Welcome ToThe ESEE Family.

5. mtnman4jesus

mtnman4jesus Scout

Blog Posts:
    I looked all over the gun and knife show last week for a esee 5 with no luck.All i could find was a 4 and a 3.

6. whoever

whoever Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've got at last count... 14 ESEEs.. TWO of which 6s. They are WONDERFUL blades. Good choice.

7. Trail Dust

Trail Dust Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me, the performance of the ESEE-6 (RC-6) was dramatically improved when I removed the drag-causing blade coating, installed comfortable G10 scales with palm swells (from TKC) and, put a convex edge (no V-grind shoulder to cause drag) on the blade. It is a fairly enjoyable knife to work with since these modifications some time back. Enjoy the new knife!

esee62.jpg

8. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congrats, have had a 6 on my radar for some time now.

9. Convex

Convex Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My ESEE 6 is a favorite.

10. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Really liked the new scales nice job

11. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with you on the scales improving the ergonomics and balance of the knife.
    My 6 is my favorite knife by far; and I have plenty of great blades, but carry this one daily.
    ESEE really nailed it with this model; not to mention the sheath - which is the best factory sheath available. Stripping the blade coating is a must for serious use IMHO; and really changes the feel of the slice; ...and this is a good thing. :42:

Attached Files:

12. Trail Dust

Trail Dust Scout

Blog Posts:
    A fine looking blade there, VinWild! Great minds think alike, eh? :)

Yes, I forgot about mentioning the significant improvement in balance with the TKC scales. Thanks.

IMHO, I think for the occasional or casual user of the ESEE knives as they come from the factory, the owner might be content with the performance of the knife 'as is.' However, when one begins using the knives for hours on end, he begins thinking about tailoring that factory edge to better suit his purposes and, perhaps customizing the handle for his hand size and comfort. Just the natural course of things for the devout.

The ESEE-6 has just the right blade recipe for slicing and dicing with its gently tapering blade. Reminds me of some of my favorite butchers - though a little more stout for field work. So, subsequently, it made good sense to me to remove the blade coating to only enhance its slicing capabilities. It worked. One will really notice the difference when working with wood, shaving fuzz or prayer sticks, etc., etc.

13. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree VinWild that knife looks awesome, I'm already thinking of ordering the 4

14. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Been looking at the 6 pretty hard. I already have the 4 and it is awesome. I don't think Esee makes a bad blade. The 5 is pretty wicked too! Heck, I like em all!