*News and Updates* Badger Claw Leatherworks product changes, the next Rendezvous, etc

Discussion in 'Badger Claw Leatherworks' started by badger claw, Apr 2, 2016.

1. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thought i would post an update on the latest developments and future of Badger Claw Leatherworks.

Product upgrades and changes...

All my pouches eventually will be done in the 10oz Martexin waxed canvas. Mainly the Bushcrafter's Dump Pouch and Wanderer's Gathering Pouch. They will also have the same size pouch. I just don't have the time to sew and wax canvas anymore. Even though the Marexin is 3 times more expensive and I need to pay my seamstress its worth the upgrade in the long run. I will be able to keep up with demand and get all projects done quicker.

Turn-around time on orders...

I try and keep good communication with customers on how their order is coming along. Turn-around time varies due to several factors. Right now on a custom sheath I'm 3+ weeks out from the time an order is placed on the website. 2 weeks from now that might be down to 10-14 days. I have a half dozen knife makers i work with as well as a new retail store here in San Antonio that i am doing private label work for. Balance that with regular custom orders from BCUSA, Instagram, Facebook, etc and it makes for a tricky puzzle to put together every week. I try to complete orders as they come in but with as many different products that i carry and hand make sometimes things need to be done out order for the sake of efficiency. This benefits everyone in the long run. As always if you ever have a question by all means contact me...its never a bother.

Blade Show 2016...

I will have a table at Blade Show this year...stop by if you attend. Ive been slowly building inventory on certain items for the show over the last month. If i keep this pace up everything should work out fine. If not i may kind of shut down custom orders for a 5-7 days during the middle of may and just hammer out a ton of inventory for the show. I'll keep people informed.

Future Plans and the next Hill Country Bushcraft Rendezvous!

Starting in October 2016 I will be temporarily moving to a small town by Houston called Wharton, TX. I have agreed to run one of the pecan warehouses for my inlaw's family. I will be brokering pecans for the season which goes from October to January. Will i be closing down Badger Claw Leatherworks during this time?? Absolutely NOT! Over the summer I will be building a full leather shop at my warehouse next to my living quarters. The drive is about 3 hours back home so ill be living there during most of the season. Running the warehouse during the day...working leather in the evenings. Between building inventory over the summer and having a full shop over there i don't expect any slow down...more likely ill increase volume.

Why would i take this job you ask? Simple....money. If we have a decent season (which as of right now its looking like it will be a great season) I will be set financially for the year and be able to make the next move for Badger Claw Leatherworks which is a larger shop (shared with my buddies JB Knife & Tool) as well as retail space. Its not going to be easy being away from my wife and 3 kids...in fact its going to be extremely rough. But its only for 3-4 months and it will be the key to growing my company into what i envision.

How will this effect the next Rendezvous...

I am definitely continuing to hold the Hill Country Bushcraft Rendezvous but this next one might not be until March. If we do September the weather can be still damn hot and the kids all just went back to school so that might make attendance tough. I hate to push it out and it wont be during deer season but having it during a busy pecan season just won't be possible. I won't be able to away from the warehouse for a week during the prime time of the season. It usually ends late January but it can extend into February depending on the harvest. Also to celebrate my best bud Jimbow's 60th birthday in February we are taking off on a 7-10 day backcountry hiking /canoe trip to either BC or Alaska. Once i pick a date for the Rendezvous ill get it posted up ASAP.

I think thats about it for now...i am extremely appreciative of all my BCUSA customers. This is where my business started and I have not forgotten that. Cheers everyone!

-John

2. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    John, I appreciate the communication from you. With all my orders, you have never let me down, always communicated-accurately-the orders I placed. Not to mention, of course, excellent products. Barring an actual belt, my entire belt kit leather and canvas, is all yours :)

3. Sargent

Sargent Bushwhacker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    If anyone can pull it off you can.

4. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good luck and God bless, I have been nothing but impressed by the products you have made for me.

5. GeneralDelivery

GeneralDelivery Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't be more pleased with the Gathering Pouch I recently received. It will not be my last purchase from you. Godspeed friend.

6. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like some good plans and good things coming your way. You are a real go getter and I don't doubt you will pull this off. If you need a walker for Jimbow just let me know and I can get him one :4::4:Being an RN has its advantages

7. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great news!
    Keep us posted!

8. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good luck John. Wishing you the best in your new endeavors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Just thought I'd post a little update...i know i have not been as active here as in years past and I'm hoping to change that real soon.

As i originally posted above I took a job running one of my in-laws pecan warehouses over the last 4 months. Well the season is over and it went better then i expected. Between running Badger Claw and the warehouse i averaged 18-20 hour work days but it was well worth it. Im glad to be moved back to my bigger shop in San Antonio and production has already gone back up considerably. Around mid-november i came down with pneumonia that lasted 4 weeks...Ive never been that sick in my life and living in a warehouse where my shop temperature at night was as low as 30 degrees made work almost impossible. Leather and canvas orders were coming in much faster then any past holiday season and soon my wait list was a minimum 4 weeks. As of today its still 4-5 weeks out minimum for just about any order but I'm making up ground fast being back home. Ive invested in some new equipment, a ton of canvas inventory is being built up which will decrease wait time on those products as well as inventory of things like Norwegian kettles, my blankets, coffee mills, etc.

I encourage people to follow me on instagram as that remains the best way for me to post work in progress and general happenings around the shop. Email is also the best way to reach me. (john@badgerclawleatherworks.com)

In closing i want to just say thank you to everyone from BCUSA for all your support over the last 6 years or so. This is where I got my start and will always support this website and community. Looking forward to a great 2017!!

Cheers~
    John

Schmittie, Dukejb, Zornt and 21 others like this.
  10. TStilwell

TStilwell Guide Vendor Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Dang bro, dont kill yourself while you're busy killing it!

SmilinJoe and badger claw like this.
  11. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear things went well and you don't need a lungectomy! Take care and thank you for providing the cool stuff you do.

DBX and pgun1267 like this.
  12. mage2

mage2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It is great to hear from you,
    Sucks to get that sick, But its coolthat you are doing better. Keep rocking it.
    see ya on the flip side

DBX likes this.