Old Hickory Butcher Knife?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Nemasket, May 12, 2013.

1. Nemasket

Nemasket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found this at a yard sale today for $.25
    103_1413.jpg

I asked the owner if they knew anything about it and they said "that old rusty thing, it was my grandfathers, give me a quarter for it"

It looks like an Old Hickory Butcher Knife (10 inch blade) but had no identifying marks. Anyway to tell if it is an Old Hickory?

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's an Old Hickory--note the lack of the distinctive roll marking or an Ontario Knife Co. stamp. Could be from any number of makers, either still existing or long gone. Great find for $0.25!

3. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    any markings at all"
    definitley carbon steel and well patinia'ed.
    I bet it'll hold a good edge and make a decent utility knife if you don't need a 10" butcher knife ( 10" is a bit big for anything smaller than beef in my book)

4. PaulK

PaulK Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Whatever brand it is, it looks like a very nice knife with lots of life left in it.

5. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sheffield Skinner?
    (British)

6. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one that looks just like that, no marks on mine either......

It seems like a good knife, and would work well as is or cut down and modded, nice score for $0.25. :dblthumb:

7. tarzan

tarzan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bet you can make a great woods knife from it, then use some of the blade for a small skinner or neck knife. Lots of ideas, I really enjoy seeing the mods to old Hickory knives soem of the people have done here. There is something really cool about re-purposing old stuff.

8. Nemasket

Nemasket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am debating on modding it or using it as a small machete.

9. .338WinMag

.338WinMag Scout

Blog Posts:
    WE had one like that when i was a kid and i used it as you said as a small chopper type knife long befor i ever seen a leuku type knife but yeah those work real well for that Nemasket,thanks for posting it.

10. Thaddius Bickerton

Thaddius Bickerton Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sharpen it up with a kind of convex edge and use it as a machete / or a large butcher blade.

Also fine for cutting a roast or large ham at thanksgiving etc.

While modding it seems tempting, be sure to spend a lot of time just looking at it and see if it is useful as it. Easy to take steel off, hard to put it back on ya know.

Thad

11. K Harris

K Harris Scout

Blog Posts:
    338WinMag has brought up a point I have been interested in for a while now. How does a 8" - 10" classic butcher knife compare to the leuku for the tasks the leuku was designed for? I do know that in general the butcher knife is of thinner stock. They will run from 1/16" to 1/8" in the 8" - 10" blade lengths. Does anyone out there have experience with both in identical tasks?

By-the-way, Nice butcher Nemasket. It is a keeper. Craft a sheath for it, and use the heck out of it. If it turns out that you don't like it, I am sure you could easily double your money around here. Maybe even triple.

12. cucumberfly

cucumberfly Scout

Blog Posts:
    my vote is use it as a large knife!! Its what I've done with my 10" butcher knife and love it!

13. Buffalo37

Buffalo37 Guide

Blog Posts:
    looks like a Old Hick to me...I have and older one too and the markings are all worn off....exactly like that

14. RDog

RDog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have generically called these "old hickory/green river knives" but there have been many makers. I had/have one now, after many years of use I cut it down(having a chip in the blade) to ~5.5, (still a work in progress).

Keep it full size, make a sheath for it, it will amaze you. It will make an amazing bush knife, it will do things that high $ knives wish they could. I used mine for everything...clearing brush, building shelters, fillet knife...even cutting down trees it had no business being used on (how it eventually chipped).

Great find for the $.

15. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I see a lot of non-Old Hickory knives that are the same form factor. That was the look of American production knives in the old days it seems.

Anyway, when I come across them at the flea market, the sellers usually want $12 - 15 for them. I point out that you can buy a brand new one for less. They never believe me or insist that its antique value validates their price. Bull, I say.

Anyway, 25 cents is a steal; that's some good luck.

16. dryheat

dryheat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am torn with the whole old hickory for bushcraft thing. I bought one of the old hickory butcher knives and can't see it as great for anything but cutting meat. I understand mountain men and all used to use this style and I like them for that, but it seems they actually used them for butchering, not cutting wood. You can yell at me if you want. Go!

17. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    edit: whoops fell alseep on the keyboard didn't intend to post here

18. OLD SKOUT

OLD SKOUT Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been there and done that to.......... LOL

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  19. OLD SKOUT

OLD SKOUT Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with darodalaf, "Leave it alone". That blade style of knife was made by almost every knife maker over the years.

I have seen knives like that for sale at Flea Markets for $25.00 or more. Great buy.............

Yard sales and Flea Markets are great places to shop and save a lot of money. Last Friday, May 10th, from one vendor I bought a Wagner 10'' cast iron fry pan in great shape; 8 Correlle Dinner Plates and a heat reducer for the stove for $10.00 total. These places can turn into gold mines for Bush Crafting goods.

I need to get a camera and learn to post pictures. I have lots of: cast iron; kerosene lamps and lanterns; hatchets and axes and a drawer full of knives of many styles. Without pictures that doesn't mean much.

20. pinetree64

pinetree64 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great find! I went through a spell on EBay ordering carbon steel butcher and chefs knives. A little time on the waterstones and they take fantastic edges. The butchers are perfect for grilled meats. I wouldn't cut it down but use it as is. You can get new Old Hickory's cheap if you want to try modifying.

21. thegman

thegman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Old Hicory Butcher Knife?

I found this one at a garage sale in the kitchen stuff for a $1. You beat me by $.75 LOL. For comparison this is a real Old Hickory. I love this knife. I have even batoned wood about 3 inches thick and it feathers wood great. I have also processed deer and hogs with it. Works good in any case. If I mess it up I am out a whole dollar.
    100_0774.jpg

22. DocGP

DocGP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree. If I wanted to mod one, I would get a new one. That one has too much character!!! LOVE the look. In fact, I would be willing to give you 10 times what you paid for it :4::4::4: Yeppers, a whole 2 and a half washingtons could be yours!!! Just say the word!! ;);)

Doc

23. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Forgecraft was another maker like Old Hickory. Do a google on them and see if it doesn't look similar to their manufacture.

24. 1773

1773 Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is a cool old knife that will give you years of good service I am sure. Just a side note, I guess I am just a sentimental old cuss but who sells their grandfather's knife much less for a quarter, what a shame.

25. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll double your money. Call it $0.50 and I'll pay shipping.....cash money.

26. CSMMIKE

CSMMIKE Guide

Blog Posts:
    As others have said, there were many companies that made these knives back in the "old days". Nothing particularly magic about Old Hickories. I have a number of vintage and antique knives, some marked/some unmarked, that are the equal of my Old Hicks. Nice score, especially for .25.