Old Ontario find

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by CodyKenobi, Jan 22, 2013.

1. CodyKenobi

CodyKenobi Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just came across this little knife in an awkward way. The short story is that I have it now. Its neat, but I have no idea about it. It says on the blade, "Ontario Stainless". The handle is a little piece of dowl that someone split and used two nails to hold it on.

Does anyone think its worth cleaning up and putting on a nice handle?

[​IMG]

Anyone have one? Its pretty thin, I was wondering if its too thin to be a good whittling knife.

2. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think its worth it!

I have a similar-sized Old Hickory paring knife in (1095) carbon steel that I EDC. I put a scandi grind on it and it works well for shaving fuzz sticks and light baton work (keep the baton on the tip side). I don't do much whittling, but I did use it along with a Mora Companion to thin down a hickory axe haft that I recently fitted. My guess is that yours would be fine with the proper edge on it.

Since this pic was snapped, I've revised the sheath to a dangler configuration that clips to a belt loop & slips into the front pocket of my jeans, just revealing the top edge + the knife butt. I also rounded the butt of the knife and smoothed the edges of the handles to improve comfort. Need to get more & better pics!

http://[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a high end prison shank :D Clean it up and use it, or stick it on a shelf. It is a cool find either way.

4. CodyKenobi

Blog Posts:
    I may even go as far as carving some birch handles just for the fun and experience of it. I think its a cool looking dirty little knife. Not too sure about the quality of the steel, "Ontario stainless" I don't know what that is, but hopefully it'll last as long as the handle.

5. Gcraft

Gcraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It has great character. a quick hit of the sharpening stone; and it looks good to go.

6. chiefs50

chiefs50 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    A little paring knife like this is worth rescuing. Carve a wood handle for it, sharpen it, and use it. Might even work as a carver if you reshape the blade.

7. CodyKenobi

Blog Posts:
    I have it sharpened up, just need to find the right piece of wood to work for a handle.

8. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Tell the truth you were visiting your mom and you took her "good" paering knife didn't 'chya? JK interesting find.

9. CodyKenobi

Blog Posts:
    caught

Actually a friend had it in a silverwear set she got from her mom who got it form helping clean up a house some lady passed away in. Then donated it to my work and I took it from there.
    no more mystery. :)