On the hunt for chaga.

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by DHags, Jan 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DHags

DHags Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I went out hunting for some chaga today and found quite a bit but cant figure out a way to harvest it. the nodes I have found are between 15 and 25 feet up. any ideas on how to harvest this?

2. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I'd probably use a short pruning saw mounted on a pole.

It'd be hard work but worth it. Chaga is good trade material!
    PMZ

3. DHags

DHags Tracker

Blog Posts:
    im not sure if it would reach all of them. Im thinking about trying to rope climb up to them

4. MightyTygart

MightyTygart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Telescopic aluminum handle of sorts. Something similar to the nets people use to dip shad or other baitfish?

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    borrow a climbing stand?

6. Lil Red

Lil Red Scout

Blog Posts:
    chop the tree down with a beautifully restored old axe :)

Then post pics of the axe in question.

7. dead short

dead short Scout

Blog Posts:
    A guy I work with and I have found a stand of birch that is loaded with chaga. We're not worried about it getting taken, as there isn't anyone else that we are aware of that looks for it. Is there a market for this stuff anywhere, non-processed, other than as trade material? We haven't taken much out yet, only a few pounds. I know of it's use as herbal alternatives and fire tinder, but not sure about it's worthwhile longevity once removed from the tree. Is it like any other fungus, dry it out?

I stopped into one of the "herbal alternative" type stores and asked if they had any interest in it. They were familiar with it but showed no interest in having it in its unprocessed, straight from the woods, form.

Thanks......

8. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes I use a long stick other times a rock but that's risky as what goes up must come down.

9. Gecko

Gecko Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was out collecting some chaga today and had this problem, I saw large amounts of it out of reach as well! I was lucky and found some closer to the ground but there a lots of birch trees in my area, so finding chaga is not too difficult if you are willing to hike around for a few hours (the lack of foliage this time of year makes them easy to spot from a distance).

I have used a rock, handsaw, knife, and axe to remove chunks off from the tree.

I hope you get your chaga!

10. LMT66

LMT66 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is chaga hard on the outside when it's still attached? Does it tend to grow where limbs once were or in damaged parts of the tree?

11. snapper

snapper Scout

Blog Posts:
    LMT66 - The answer to your question is "yes". The outer skin is very black in color while the interior can be orange, cinnamon or even have yellow streaks running through it.

Hope that helps. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

12. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    a little help please?

OK, as long as you brought up the subject of chaga I figured you guys would have the knowlege I seek! There aren't a ton of birches around my area, some black and only a few white. I have some fungus I found on the ground that does take and hold a spark. I have never found any on birch trees but have found the same stuff I now have on other trees.
    While what I have is barely acceptable as tinder, I wouldn't want to risk consuming a tea brewed from it. Can chaga be found on trees other than birch? Likelyhood? I really enjoy bringing something home from my jaunts into the woods (guess it's the hunter/gatherer in me) I have foraged ramps, jewel weed and a few other things from the area around me. But I REALLY want to learn how to find chaga as it is my "holy grail" of foraging! I'm sorry as I had not intended to hijack this thread only tap into the resources on it.

13. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Went upto the white mtns in nh recently found tons of horseshoe fungus but chaga eluded me.