Ontario Blackie Collins "Machete"/Fighting Knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by WoodsJack, Nov 11, 2012.

1. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday, I ran across one of these. I looked it up online and saw they were selling new for about $25, although someone bought one used on eBay last month for almost $60. But both of those were with sheaths. The sheath that was with the one I got is actually a longer "cordura" type material that was folded to suit the length. However, unfolded, it'll take my longer Promedoca machete.

I just nosed around the web a bit and am not finding much exposure/coverage of these blades, in particular. This seems to fit in my mix somewhere roughly in the "chopper" slot, between the machete and, say, the BK-7. It's now about as dull a blade as I've ever seen, so needs some serious sharpening. But the edge is only a bit nicked and being 1095, 1/8" thick I think it'll come back just fine. It's got a 12" blade, but with 1.5" or so unground by the handle for a cutting length of 10.5" and OAL of 18"

These must not be too popular, noting the absence of appearances online? I paid $15 for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    $15 with sheath not bad at all. A good 12" machete. I like it and would have got it.

3. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure that those were made with Ontario blades, just a diferent (and perhaps more comfortable) handle put on to it.

Good score for $15. :dblthumb:

4. swoody126

swoody126 Guest

Blog Posts:
    i have one & love it

it rides in my truck @ all times

hard to beat COLLINS or ONTARIO, when it comes to a tool to be used in every day situations

DITTO, for being able to depend on a tool in an emergency

just an OLD MAN'S point of view

sw

5. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very good score!

6. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I really like that good price .

7. wooly bugger

wooly bugger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't attest to the handle on yours but with a convex, that blade is a real work horse. Great snag!

View attachment 55555

8. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's an Ontario blade. I was having trouble figuring out why the versions I can find online were so cheap new retail, and why any of these are relatively hardly mentioned even among blade enthusiasts, yet just last month both that were sold on eBay, used, went for quite a bit: one for around $60 and the other around $100. Online auction dummies, or what?

Seems that this model was actually a military model, with "U.S." stamped on the blade too. And the handle is a bit different from the consumer models. I guess these are "rarer" and, perhaps, "collectibles" among some folks. ALL of my blades are "users" though. So far.

9. homebody

homebody Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had one for nearly 20 years now. I lost it for the last 5 or so years, and just found it again Monday night. I am super stoked to mod it with the half skandi, half convex grind. But this is a little hard using only a file and sand-paper.

10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Dude--don't worry about putting a scandi section on it. Just sharpen the whole thing nice and thin at 15 degrees per side and you'll be just fine and dandy. A properly thinned and refined 30 degree included angle on a machete edge will not only carve like a Mora--it'll chop better too.

11. Tnms

Tnms Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Nice

I've had one jus like it for over 15 yrs! Used it daily surveying for 5 yrs! This thing will take a razors edge in no time! Smkw has them all day long for less than $30. All of them have U.S. on the blades. So that doesn't mean they are military. I've taken down pines bigger than my thigh and I'm not little by a long shot! First time I showed up at work with it on my side I was laughed at! Everybody else used kaiser blades to cut line. By the end of the day everyone wanted one! Don't worry bout the handle for now. When your chopping briars the guard will protect your hand more than u think. But if you do take it off Id like to he it from you for if I ever break mine. Sharpen it use it and enjoy it! It's a fine blade!

12. no1uno

no1uno Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    hello, what you have is one of the greatest blades ever made for WWII , Korea And Vet. Nam.. it is a Ontario knife company , Blackie Collins designed utility knife # DCUB12, also made in a DCUB 18 & 24. I have collected these for 45 years, and have lots, why ? First I know Blackie designed some of the best knives ever, including the first auto assist operation. He also invented many small, but now used in every Mfg Plant, jigs and "tips" as he called them. just something to make other things work better as he explained. Second Blackie fought an internal war, that is why you will not get much info on this and many other blades with his name on them from the mfg. The OKC knife was very limited in time of production. But at last he finds Meyerco, and yes they make a lot of cheap stuff, but they also make what I consider to be the best hard man's, hard working auto the Darryl Ralph X-ray 18. Blackie passed several years ago and is, only in my view a designer whom never got the limelight, nor would have not messed that up to. Why not many DCUB12 18 24s around. other mfg, gathered them by the thousands and you may be carrying one in a Casexx, Lone Wolf, or Guttman. The actual sheath, of which I only have one, was a massived, 1/8 inch thick leather, roll up/down belt monster. many were cut up for repairs on planes, boats, boots, whatever . thanks for allowing my first post to be about a man I never met, but enjoyed many years. At 84 i don't type well and my spelling/grammer is not well, i don't see that changing. txs

13. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    hmph ... I just saw one of those at an estate sale this last weekend .. They were asking $75 for it (no negotiation), and it was in Really Crappy shape.