Orienteering?

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by feellnfroggy, Oct 6, 2015.

1. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    The new geocaching? Thoughts experiences knowledge?

2. JasonB

JasonB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Geocaching would be the new orienteering, but not really.

Orienteering for me has always only been a compass and map no gps. Where geocaching could be either.

My daughter and I have done courses here in Georgia and both love it. Its easy to set up a course just about anywhere.

3. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard it, but wranglerstar and his lady had a video up about it. Video and digital waypoint tagging keychain device thing. Looked pretty OK.

4. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I found the video you are talking about, they are on some kind of pre-made course. That's fun but it's not a proper introduction to orienteering at all, the video doesn't ever even show a compass being used that I could see.

Get this book instead if you do want to learn about orienteering. http://amzn.com/0470407654

51NMquCO8LL.jpg

5. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One of the reasons I don't use my GPS much is 'cause I know how to use my map and compass....sure skills get a little rusty....but like riding a bike.....with the GPS I gotta pull out the dang manual every time I want to fire it up.......map and compass is easier for my needs.....done some orienteering from time to time...nothing real competitive....but fun...

6. jeremyctry

jeremyctry Outdoorsman Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Geocaching without a gps would be one heck of an orienteering course I haven't used a compass and protractor to pull grid coordinates in years (Army call for fire) It would make for a very challenging day thats for sure. I have considered brushing up on it a time or to but for my uses it's just not needed; compass, map, and terrain association have gotten me where I need to be and home again for a long time now. Personally it would take one heck of a prize for me to go through that much trouble (refreshing my memory on pulling 10 and 12 digit grid coordinates and then using it for a geocaching course) but if you do it I'd be interested in seeing the video posted.

7. Bennington.Camper

Bennington.Camper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I saw that as well... I remember the waypoints were marked with different shape paper punches when I was running them. Doing them on XC skiis is fun as well.

8. Bennington.Camper

Bennington.Camper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I still have my original copy with the white cover!

9. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Company grade mortars. 60mm I love map and compass work. I love the FO's too.

10. NYWanderer

NYWanderer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    T
    Great book!

11. JasonB

JasonB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Back when I first starting doing contract archaeology this was a book recommended to me by my colleagues. We used compass and maps even if we had GPS.

Always make sure your declination is set correctly. We had a lead archaeologist come back from Russia and go straight out to the field. He kept getting mad at us for running over his transect line until he had us all compare compasses and he realized he bought the wrong compass to work.

12. Fuzette

Fuzette Scout

Blog Posts:
    I did one last spring, fun way to get some outside time.

13. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When my old Magellan broke done and was in for repairs, I used a map and compass to find many geocaches. The key here is to have a little background in geocaching because knowing the ins and outs of hide sites can really help you along. Each time you locate a cache, you are confirming your location. An accurate pace count and decent land nav skills make for a fun time!

14. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Started orienteering in school as a kid (around 11 or 12). A great way to get kids out in the countryside/fresh air and learn a skill, too. A lot of kids were really into it. I wonder if it would have been different if video games existed back then?

15. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Scout

Blog Posts:
    We did orienteering in grade school as well. Video games existed, but smart phones and GPS's for the average man were a decade away. I remember really liking it, but it might be because I was good at it.

16. tramp_trade

tramp_trade Wet Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Myself as well. In BC grade 6 or 7 (back in the 70s) orienteering was a phys-ed module - one of my favourites. I still enjoy it now and then.

17. JasonB

JasonB Scout

Blog Posts:
    A couple years back my daughter and I where doing a course and she wasn't real happy to be there. At one point she crossed her arms and said I'm done. I said ok and handed her the compass and map. I then showed her on the where the car was and said get us back to the car and we will go. We were a mile or so far the car at that point. She fumed for 10 minutes then picked up the map and compass and got us to the car. She's loved it ever since.

Dave_Markowitz likes this.
  18. Mazer

Mazer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love Orienteering - a completely different and much older outdoor adventure. Look for an Orienteering Club in your area - there are hundreds worldwide and competitions

19. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Orienteering is nothing like Geocaching. Orienteering is much more fun because you need to use real skills and most of the time the course is timed. So the fast you do it, the better you score. We taught our cub scouts/boy scouts orienteering for several years. I also taught a orienteering class as a after school program when I was a teacher. Excellent skills were learned along with getting good exercise.

Jon.

20. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    This book is still considered the best civilian source of map and compass use.

Jon.

21. tty12

tty12 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

22. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is a good first post. Thank you!

My kid did orienteering throughout high school and I tagged along a few times. Fun stuff!

23. 66drifter

66drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    a dear friend showed me how to set up an orienteering game for kids(of all ages) that was quite simple

she created a great(50yds across) circle on a playing field & divided the circumference w/ 24 points(15ยบ)

at each point she placed an orange highway cone w/ a card under it w/ a letter on it

depending on the intent of the game the center of the circle can have a special designation

then she made up puzzles that when done right would spell out some word or phrase

start in the center, given a specific compass heading goto the 1st point of the puzzle, look in the top of the cone to read the letter, from that point follow the next compass heading to point #2.......

when done right the kids will each have a different puzzle to reduce(i didn't say eliminate) sharing of answers

can be timed OR KNOT

creating the matrix the 1st time takes some time butt after that it's just a mechanical/mathematical exercise for the instructor

the games can be aimed at spelling words or the generation of geometric shapes

the prizes should be generated relative to the age of the kids

once games like this are mastered finding one's way in the wild w/ map & compass should be a lot more simple

the underlying objectives of orienteering are MANY

HAVE FUN

24. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy it. While in the Marines, I competed in some meets in the late '70's. Today, I have a small land nav course near my house.

25. Kataja

Kataja Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  26. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used Orienteering / land nav skills to Geocache after my GPS broke down and was in for repairs. Geocaching is much more fun without a GPS! Other than learning the ins & outs of how to use your new GPS, Geocaching really takes no skill at all. It's a fun activity but I no longer partake in Geocaching.